Moving polyline solids in X12

Bob-Roraback

Create a polyline slab in plan view and then go to a cross section view and tilt that polyline slab to say 45 degrees.

Now go back to plan view and move that polyline slab parallel to the direction of the tilt, notice that the solid has also changed its height relative to the angle of tilt.

This will also happen if you use the point to point command to move the solid.

If you move the solid using the transform/replicate dialog it will stay at the same height.

The point to be made is that once you tilt a polyline solid, the only way you can move it and keep it's elevation the same is by using the transform/replicate dialog command.

I have attached a plan file to demonstrate.

Hopefully this will be of some use to somebody.

Moving polyline solids in X12.plan

2 hours ago, Bob-Roraback said:

The point to be made is that once you tilt a polyline solid, the only way you can move it and keep it's elevation the same is by using the transform/replicate dialog command. 

There's actually another way and it's something you may find handy for other problematic move/rotate/center operations as well...

Marquee or Group select the object and then try your operation.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2020 at 5:40 AM, Bob-Roraback said:

Moving polyline solids in X12.plan

If I right click / hold to move, in the elevation view, it works like I'm thinking you want it to

On 3/6/2020 at 6:52 AM, Bob-Roraback said:

Works perfectly! Thanks Michael.

You bet.  I think it's both important and handy in these situations to understand what's going on.  It's not necessary moving in the Z direction according to the object's tilt.  It's moving according to the plan of the selected face.  If you were to select this little face here...

Plane1.thumb.png.858efd1b7460f8c338145c734825619e.png

...and then move it, it would change height based on Plane B instead of Plane A...

Plane2.thumb.jpg.121a1a59f450de928d1f4fcfbaaaeeee.jpg

Very handy functionality really.