Polyline solid problem in X12

Bob-Roraback

I noticed today that if you create a polyline solid in plan view, it is fully editable in cross section view as it is supposed to be in X12.

If you create a polyline solid while in cross section view, it is not editable when in plan view as I believe it should be in X12.

Is anyone else getting this same result?

I submitted it to tech support.

Good catch.  Easily reproducible.  Convert to Solid and it will be editable in plan though.  For what it's worth, bear in mind that once you edit a polyline solid's shape from any direction other that that of it's original extrusion, it's automatically converted to a solid and loses it's polyline and basic 2D extrusion properties anyway, so the conversion to a solid would happen regardless.

12 minutes ago, builder said:

Hi Michael, yes, understood on the conversion to a solid. I stumbled upon this and a couple of other oddities while doing a post and beam plan.

Thank you for the input, Bob Roraback

I'm curious...what were the other oddities if you don't mind sharing? 

Hi Michael, The other problem that I found was with this post that I created. It was first created in X11 with no problems using polyline solids and the subtract command.

It was a bit of work to make but it was done with the intention of being able to duplicate it around the building corners

and using the reflect horizontally command to make it suitable for the other corners of the building or by simply turning it 90 degrees.

That is where I noticed that when in X 12 you either try to copy it or duplicate it, it copies but stays stuck on the original post and cannot be moved.

I will attach the plan file.

Post to tech support.plan

Post.jpg

19 minutes ago, builder said:

Hi Michael, The other problem that I found was with this post that I created. It was first created in X11 with no problems using polyline solids and the subtract command.

It was a bit of work to make but it was done with the intention of being able to duplicate it around the building corners

and using the reflect horizontally command to make it suitable for the other corners of the building or by simply turning it 90 degrees.

That is where I noticed that when you either try to copy it or duplicate it, it copies but stays stuck on the original post and cannot be moved.

I will attach the plan file.

Post to tech support.plan

Post.jpg

Yup.  This is not good.  You did report it right?  I use solids pretty extensively for stuff like this too, but I haven't used them a whole ton in X12 yet.  I have also noticed a few other oddities with regard to rotating behaviors and have reported those, but this is a new one to me.  Glad you caught it.  I actually messed around with it for quite a while and I think I figured out the problem too. 

1 hour ago, Bob-Roraback said:

Yes I did submit to tech support

Good.  Might not hurt to send them a link to my video as well. It might save them a little troubleshooting time. 

P.S.  I dropped a fixed post into the plan for you. 

I just used a very small solid to fill in that little criss-crossey no-man's-land corner that I pointed out in the video...

Post to tech support (modified).plan

Michael, Great detective work, Thank you. I am going to modify those mortices and put a shoulder on the girts. 

I will follow up with you when done.

Joe, I wanted to keep these editable because the company that I am doing prints for modifies their prints occasionally.

I think for their stock plans that is a good suggestion, thank you

5 hours ago, Bob-Roraback said:

Joe, I wanted to keep these editable because the company that I am doing prints for modifies their prints occasionally.

I think for their stock plans that is a good suggestion, thank you

When you create a Symbol just keep the original PSolid / Solid.  You can save each modification as a Symbol with a version number.  That way you'll build up a library of parts.

Good sleuthing Michael.

Hey Bob (OP)... can't help but wonder about this framing you're doing.  I'm assuming with all this fancy joinery you're planning to have the framing exposed inside the cabin?  Out of curiosity what will you be finishing the exterior with?