Chiefs hand scraped wood floors

Designer1

Does anyone know how to adjust the shine on chiefs hand scraped wood floors?  I went into properties and tried to adjust roughness but its grayed out and cannot be adjusted. I love the texture and depth but the shine makes the floors look like they are made of plastic.  They are such great floors its just the shine is way too much.

Thanks!

Thanks Graham!  I deleted the texture map but then the really cool texture was deleted and I wanted that.  So what I ended up doing is using some of your recommendations on our other PBR post to change the lighting a bit and when sunlight hits the flooring it makes the floor appear to be more matte finish.  So, even here in this example of flooring your right about the PBRs ever changing effects on materials in a rendering.  Im just glad I was able to achieve both keeping the texture and getting it to appear more matte then shiny.

Thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Thanks Graham!  I deleted the texture map but then the really cool texture was deleted and I wanted that.  So what I ended up doing is using some of your recommendations on our other PBR post to change the lighting a bit and when sunlight hits the flooring it makes the floor appear to be more matte finish.  So, even here in this example of flooring your right about the PBRs ever changing effects on materials in a rendering.  Im just glad I was able to achieve both keeping the texture and getting it to appear more matte then shiny.

Thanks for the reply!

The roughness map is different from the texture, it just impacts on the surface appearance, shiny, matte, reflective. If you remove this then you just need to use one of the other methods/controls as made available depending on the Material Property type such as general or polished.

Not certain what you are referring to as ever changing effects on materials. If for example you are referring to the fact that the floors reflectivity changes as you reposition the camera then yes it will, just as it does in real life if you as the observer move around in the room. Also, as in real life this type of reflectivity is primarily the result of the sun, it's intensity,  the angle at which it strikes the floors surface and the angle at which the reflective light is received by the observer. As the sun is the primary light contributor here then the % and position of the glazing is a significant part of the equation as it will dictate the amount of light entering the room. Another item of consideration is if you are using the generic sun there is the option to have the sun follow the camera or remain fixed. If it follows the sun then things will change as the sun moves with the camera, if fixed then things will change according to just the cameras movement.

I believe that most of this reflectivity controversy is primarily driven by the understandable desire that reflectivity be fixed/static and as such the surface will exhibit the same degree of reflectivity regardless of the lighting conditions.and camera view position. Apologize for continually referring to real life, but in real life the only thing that is fixed is the materials "potential" to reflect, it will only do so under the right lighting conditions and observer point of view.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:14 AM, TheKitchenAbode said:

I believe that most of this reflectivity controversy is primarily driven by the understandable desire that reflectivity be fixed/static and as such the surface will exhibit the same degree of reflectivity regardless of the lighting conditions.and camera view position.

I can't speak for anyone else's "reflectivity controversy" but this definitely isn't this case with regard to the issue's I have ever referred to.  Here's just a really quick demonstration...

...now having pointed that out, I have definitely witnessed cases where the reflectivity issues are DEFINITELY related to what should happen as you have stated.

16 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

Michael,

Is the audio missing on this?

Whaddya know.  Yes.  It looks like my microphone was muted.  I just slapped that together really quick and didn't actually watch it.  My apologies.  Watch the areas I point out with my mouse though and I think you'll get the idea.  Maybe I'll remake later if I have time. 

I believe this is the type of reflection you are looking for. Sorry for the static pics, four shots at different angles, the counter top reflection remains intact in the backsplash and the backsplash reflections persist in the counter top. Under cabinet puck light reflections in counter top change more dramatically as camera moves, most evident in 4th & 5th pic. Everything seems in general to follow the rules, the further away the reflected object is from the reflective surface the more it changes as the camera revolves/moves around. Reflections from surfaces/objects closer to the reflective surface move less or appear almost static.

887641285_CounterTopReflections1.thumb.png.fc604d0c7c7fd31333166f269041c536.png

398585087_CounterTopReflections1a.thumb.png.18c6e597a60fa73f59c00f873379004e.png

619978262_CounterTopReflections1b.thumb.png.2ef19bbbfd6e18d0eacb806ad85ea222.png

1200332796_CounterTopReflections1c.thumb.png.036b4fd2c1070e7671b2d823b404f005.png

776589671_CounterTopReflections1d.thumb.png.48d5444aea14e3309143436f2131800d.png

Thank you Michael and Graham for the examples, I can see what your talking about.  Luckily with the wood floors I was able to angle the sun and get the picture just right so when the sun and lighting hit the wood floors it reduced the shininess of the wood floor. I was able to get a decent looking somewhat matte finish or at least so it wouldnt look like a shiny glass surface.

Ive noticed a few times when doing exterior renderings that somehow the sun reflects the image of the house onto the grass, which is strange because the grass isnt even a shiny surface.  Luckily, the quick fix for that was just move the camera a tick to the right or left and it changes the lighting a bit.  Thats what I meant by ever changing textures and lighting.  you can take nearly any texture and in different lighting and sunlight exposures it can differ greatly.  I guess the only benefit I see to this inconsistency is that if you dont like a too shiny texture you can adjust the lighting and sun angle and change it a bit.

Chad, if you check Rene's signature I believe he has included a link to many textures and models he compiled for use in CA's PBR when it was first launched. You should find these very useful and you can examine them to help in understanding the techniques Rene used to improve things. There's no doubt that all is not perfect in CA PBR land, there's some quirky unexpected lighting behaviors, textures that are not properly tuned for best performance and models that are just too basic amongst many other things. This unfortunately makes the front end learning process difficult and challenging while you try to sort things out. Even so, there is ultimately a practical limit to how much time and effort one is willing to put into this and how good of a render CA's PBR can produce given the utmost effort. Each individual must make this decision depending upon their individual needs and available time, there's always numerous other third party rendering engines out there that may be more suitable and much more capable.

If your decision is to persevere with CA's PBR then all is not lost, as you refine your lights, textures, materials and models these can be saved to your library so they are ready to use in future scenes, so getting from point A to B becomes much faster and simpler. Like most CA features/functions, there are limits to what they can do and there becomes a point where you made need to resort to some unorthodox approaches and methods to get what you want. For example, the wall and material region tool is a great feature until it comes to outside and inside corners, there's no ability to break a region like a molding poly line and just wrap it around the corner and continue on. Depending on the material regions structure things can look really odd at these corner intersections, the only solution is to resort to some other method to fix this up, maybe a molding tool, psolid or custom symbol. PBR has it's own issues and requires a similar approach when it just won't automatically do what you want it to do. There are just times in CA, despite any controversy surrounding the technical premise behind these workarounds, that it comes down to whether or not it works.

Thanks Graham!   I really appreciate everyones input, advice and help, thank you.

Curious, do any of you who use the PBRs try out the panorama?  I just tried making my first panorama but Im unsure if it uses PBR settings or is it just regular 3d camera?  I tried clicking on the picture file but it just looks like a stretched out picture and I wasnt able to tell if it was very good or not.