2019 CRC

On 3/3/2020 at 2:48 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

:wub:

San Diego County still accepts 2016.  San Diego City doesn't.  PITA

Joe,  I was flagged by the county,  they are using the 2019 code.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dshall said:

Joe,  I was flagged by the county,  they are using the 2019 code.

Yep.  I've updated my Code List Text Block for all jurisdictions.

This has been a rather annoying time.  Submit for Plan Check - 2 months later get the plans back - make corrections - resubmit and the Code has changed - resubmit with new Code reference.  Arrrgh !!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Yep.  I've updated my Code List Text Block for all jurisdictions.

This has been a rather annoying time.  Submit for Plan Check - 2 months later get the plans back - make corrections - resubmit and the Code has changed - resubmit with new Code reference.  Arrrgh !!!

Generally, whichever Code you submit under (based on the date of the permit application) remains the governing Code for the project. For example, many people were racing to get plans submitted before the end of the year under the 2016 Energy Code because the 2019 requirements were far more draconian. Did the plan checker tell you that you had to submit under the new Code, or did you just assume that? 

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Richard,

San Diego is a much different place to work.  

May be. But they still use the date the building permit application is complete -- i.e. the date they take it in as ready for review, not the date the permit is approved -- to set the governing Code cycle. This is on their website, and is pretty much the policy everywhere in California.

29 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

May be. But they still use the date the building permit application is complete -- i.e. the date they take it in as ready for review, not the date the permit is approved -- to set the governing Code cycle. This is on their website, and is pretty much the policy everywhere in California.

That's good to know, but it's pretty much irrelevant.  There are not many changes from 2016 to 2019 and I only have one project that was submitted in 2016 and hasn't been permitted yet so I've just changed the reference to be the 2019 code.  It's easier to make that change than to worry about it.

Maybe I can program my macro to automatically update every 3 years.  ;)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

That's good to know, but it's pretty much irrelevant.  There are not many changes from 2016 to 2019 and I only have one project that was submitted in 2016 and hasn't been permitted yet so I've just changed the reference to be the 2019 code.  It's easier to make that change than to worry about it.

Maybe I can program my macro to automatically update every 3 years.  ;)

here is a list of some standard California changes I put on every plan

2019 min const standards.zip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Perry.

I was watching a deck code webinar this past week and they showed a diagram for the 30" height of a deck and then measured 36" out for drop of slope. Previously I had seen this 30" measured at 30" away. Is this a new change? Does it apply in California?

• 2 weeks later...

I keep tabs with the forum on and off, unable to reply on most posts, but this one I just have to steal the time from other tasks!! I will call it a break instead.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

If so, what are the changes?

The code update cycle is still going on and keeping me awake! 

I get asked this question all the time and my answer is very simple, too much has changed! Take the time to read each book and get your head around the changes sooner than later, yes, each book. CBC, CRC, CEC, CPC, CMC, GBS, BEES or CEC (we have two CEC's now) in addition to learn if there were any changes to each muni code of the jurisdictions you work with... Don't forget the Utility Company books may have also gotten updates. Good luck!! Guess who had the most and worst changes?

• 6 months later...