Wall Tool Question

SNestor

Why does Chief give us a tool for "exterior wall"...and another for "interior wall"?  We can select any wall type for either tool...we could use "brick-4" for an interior wall...or an exterior wall.  

Maybe it has something to do with assigning specific layers?  

Just wondering....seems a bit redundant.  

30 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Why does Chief give us a tool for "exterior wall"...and another for "interior wall"?  We can select any wall type for either tool...we could use "brick-4" for an interior wall...or an exterior wall.  

Maybe it has something to do with assigning specific layers?  

Just wondering....seems a bit redundant.  

For efficiency of course. Why not just give us a single text default too eh? :)

All 12 of the wall defaults are essentially identical in functionality.  They just give us multiple defaults to work with.

NOTE: The various wall defaults are also used for other things that those walls are used for such as automatically produced foundations, Retaining Walls, deck railing, etc., but for the intents of this particular discussion, they're essentially identical in their capabilities and any one of them can be set to match any other.

I have a lot of different wall types stored in my user library.  The variations are numerous, including lots of different material layers, and even if there's a pony wall.

When I want a particular wall type I just select that from the library and start drawing.  It's much more comprehensive, allowing for wall thickness, new/demo/existing, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

For efficiency of course. Why not just give us a single text default too eh? :)

Yea...it's more efficient I suppose.  Just something I noticed today as I was clicking away and thought I'd gather other "expert" opinions.  Certainly not the most overwhelming concern...

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

All 12 of the wall defaults are essentially identical in functionality.

One thing that irks me is not having the same control of railing wall lines in plan view. The display of the railing in plan will CHANGE depending on the settings but not in the same ways as normal walls.

Don't know why they behave differently. Having that control would simplify the way I like to show covered porch slabs on plans. Unless I'm missing something...