Getting Wall Railing to Confirm to Slope of Stairs

kwhitt

I run into this all the time and have never come up with a satisfactory way to do it.  First attachment is a photo of the actual space.  I am trying to recreate the wall that follows the stairs.  Ticking "follow stairs" does nothing.  Should I be manually drawing this shape and forget about CA automating it for me?  And if I do, should I use an invisible wall on which to draw over?  I still need a wall here to break the stairs, so not sure what to do...  I have seen videos where the presenter is tugging on walls and manually shaping them; however, I have no luck with this.  Thank you.

2020-02-24 10.36.38.jpg

stairs.jpg

CHF_David 1st Floor_AS-BUILT_02-25-20.plan

5 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I run into this all the time and have never come up with a satisfactory way to do it.  First attachment is a photo of the actual space.  I am trying to recreate the wall that follows the stairs.  Ticking "follow stairs" does nothing.  Should I be manually drawing this shape and forget about CA automating it for me?  And if I do, should I use an invisible wall on which to draw over?  I still need a wall here to break the stairs, so not sure what to do...  I have seen videos where the presenter is tugging on walls and manually shaping them; however, I have no luck with this.  Thank you.

For Follow Stairs to work the Railing must sit on the Stairs , which in this case it doesn't it comes up beside it so you need to shape the Wall in Elevation

1. Open Staircase and get stair angle  ( 40.99°)
  2. In a B.C. Elevation Camera Draw a CAD line, at that angle so you will have something to snap the Wall Top edge too
  3. Pull Left hand corner to the line
  4. Pull right Corner to the line
  5. Use middle grab handle to pull wall top Up to 2-3" above the elevation of the Railing on the 2nd floor
  6. You can break the Top and Bottom Edges or Walls - not the side normally , so in this case I went a bit higher and broke the angled Walltop 1' from the right-side approx , grabbed the Diamond at the point and "folded" it down until horizontal towards the Landing Railing.
  7. Set Railing Type to Solid to automatically get a normal 2x4 wall with Drywall each side for the Railing.
  8. Add Wall Cap to new sloped Wall ( WallCap Tab)
  9. Convert Railing on 2nd floor to Solid if not already done and add also add the WallCap
  10. Edit Wall Shape and Height in Elevation Cam. to match second Floor Solid Railing as needed and so the Landing Railing hits the Soliding Railing Wall just below the WallCap.
  11. Fix any anomalies and "holes" created :).
  12. Done

image.thumb.png.cddd0f1312ee0c5fd6c39e27f34ba823.pngimage.thumb.png.fcee95108530c28670cf65303e874567.png

image.thumb.png.57838753d69efcbefaff834b279f9dbc.pngimage.thumb.png.af9c2e95473c814a5c7de3cc4ef4453c.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

For Follow Stairs to work the Railing must sit on the Stairs , which in this case it doesn't it comes up beside it so you need to shape the Wall in Elevation

1. Open Staircase and get stair angle  ( 40.99°)
  2. In a B.C. Elevation Camera Draw a CAD line, at that angle so you will have something to snap the Wall Top edge too
  3. Pull Left hand corner to the line
  4. Pull right Corner to the line
  5. Use middle grab handle to pull wall top Up to 2-3" above the elevation of the Railing on the 2nd floor
  6. Add Wall Cap to new sloped Wall
  7. Convert Railing on 2nd floor to Solid if not already done and add Wall Cap
  8. Edit Wall Shape and Height in Elevation Cam. to match second Floor Solid Railing.
  9. Fix any anomalies and "holes" created :).
  10. Done

image.thumb.png.cddd0f1312ee0c5fd6c39e27f34ba823.pngimage.thumb.png.fcee95108530c28670cf65303e874567.png

image.thumb.png.57838753d69efcbefaff834b279f9dbc.pngimage.thumb.png.af9c2e95473c814a5c7de3cc4ef4453c.png

Mick - thanks for taking the time to explain this.  I'll give it a shot in the morning...  

How do you get the "break" in the top of the wall where it starts to slope downward?  Can you break a wall in elevation?  I don't see that in your steps.  Also, what does it mean to make the railing "solid".  Thanks again, Kevin

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Mick - thanks for taking the time to explain this.  I'll give it a shot in the morning...  

How do you get the "break" in the top of the wall where it starts to slope downward?  Can you break a wall in elevation?  I don't see that in your steps.  Also, what does it mean to make the railing "solid".  Thanks again, Kevin

1. You can break the Top and Bottom Edges - not the side normally , so in this case I went a bit higher broke the angled Walltop 1' from the right-side approx , grabbed the Diamond at the point and "folded" it down until horizontal.
  2. Yes Eric is right the Solid Railing automatically gives you a normal 2x4 wall with Drywall each side.

*Post above edited with above info for Others finding it....

Mick.

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

1. You can break the Top and Bottom Edges - not the side normally , so in this case I went a bit higher broke the angled Walltop 1' from the right-side approx , grabbed the Diamond at the point and "folded" it down until horizontal.
  2. Yes Eric is right the Solid Railing automatically gives you a normal 2x4 wall with Drywall each side. 

*Post above edited with above info for Others finding it....

Mick.

Mick - I gave it a try this morning and am not getting it.  From what type of view am I to be editing the wall?  I've tried cross section/elevation and the wall won't break from this view and I'm not getting any diamond handles to edit.  Also, in step 6 above you state "Add Wall Cap to new sloped Wall".  Was I to have already sloped it at this point?  I'd really appreciate you walking me through this.  Below is an image of how far I've gotten, but am unable to break or manipulate wall shape.  Thanks again, Kevin

07.jpg

33 minutes ago, solver said:

It needs to be a regular wall, not a railing wall.

The wall cap is manual -- a solid.

Thanks Eric.  That must be where I'm going wrong.  I'll give it another try this afternoon. Kevin

2 hours ago, solver said:

It needs to be a regular wall, not a railing wall.

The wall cap is manual -- a solid.

Worked great once I changed it back to a standard wall.  Thanks again Guys!

On 3/1/2020 at 2:25 PM, kwhitt said:

2020-02-24 10.36.38.jpg

stairs.jpg

I made a video specific to your question...however, I didn't tackle your diagonal wall under the stair as I think this is one of the big problems with your stair not working perfectly.  Is that really how it's constructed?  

So...this video just shows how I'd place a sloping solid wall between the two stair sections.  Hope it helps you somewhat...

47 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I made a video specific to your question...however, I didn't tackle your diagonal wall under the stair as I think this is one of the big problems with your stair not working perfectly.  Is that really how it's constructed?  

So...this video just shows how I'd place a sloping solid wall between the two stair sections.  Hope it helps you somewhat...

Steve - thanks for the video - very helpful.  I did finally get it if you read my last post.  I was trying to manipulate a railing wall in elevation view which evidently isn't allowed.  When it was changed to a standard wall, it was quite easy.  As far as the framing under the stairs - this is an as-built and the client currently has carpeting.  I am merely trying to show her how it would look with wood treads and painted handrails/newels.  That said, there is definitely something strange going on with the framing beneath the drywall.  I measured the space twice on two different days.  The layout is correct, so they must have done something "creative" with the stringers underneath.  Thanks again for your videos.  I can say that I've watched them all and have been a huge help.  Kevin

• Like 1