Layout Templates page reference

dkmtek

Hi All. I'm trying to set up a layout for a project (& Template) and have run into an issue? When I put in my links (Text Inserts) for auto generated data, it is off by 1 page? The layouts start on page "0", (The non printed template and home page which generates the data to the following pages of the layout). The layout pages show correctly in the "layout Page Table", page reference & number, and all the other auto generated information, except when I try to input "Layout" information? As you can see by the screen shots, "Page: 0", On page 0, but, the reference above it, says "Page Description: Index Legends, Notes & Information", which is on page number 1 not 0?

I'm on a I-mac, with X-8

Thanks

David

1017887358_ScreenShot2020-03-01at11_53_09AM.png.df3204a3ac6886888e0ea1fd13bdd529.png 156930462_ScreenShot2020-03-01at11_54_24AM.png.15cf8b06f09931a0041f3a61762265f3.png

Just now, dkmtek said:

Kbird1, what part of the layout? The whole file?

Signatures, Again, is there something other than the "Computer Type" & "Chief Architect" version you are looking for? 

yes just post the .layout file so people can see what you have done with the macros....

Have a look at the Video Link Signatures posted and add you Info to your forum signature so every post shows you only have X8 and thus people will not bother posting videos for X11 etc like yesterday, which may not work for you since you don't have it..... it wastes both their and your time...

Mick.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dkmtek said:

Kbird1, what part of the layout? The whole file?

Signatures, Again, is there something other than the "Computer Type" & "Chief Architect" version you are looking for? 

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Put that in your Signature NOT in a Post......

You have entered the Page 1 info on Page 0 by the look of it  --- ( Edit Page Info to correct )

The Scale macro will show the Zoom factor as you scroll in and out , not the Scale the layout Box used

Use a marker with Text above the Line and Below instead..... ***don't put it on Page Zero though, then you'll be able to Edit the Scale on each page to match the Layout Box.

Corrected :

image.thumb.png.08705458fcec1de4c795504750e762f8.pngimage.thumb.png.3d86a27561e9e04fba44fe43ea4ed44e.png

35 minutes ago, dkmtek said:

Not a problem posting your operating system and version but I would not recommend posting your serial no.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dkmtek said:

Maybe blank out you computer Serial no# in the System Specs image for Security.......no one needs it here....

People will also respond better I find if they know your (1st) name rather than talking to some obscure "internet entity"  ( called dmktek )

just my $0.2c worth.

M.

• Like 1

I have no idea where that is?? ..............OK I found it, I think, It's blank?? What I found was, "Marker defaults - Default". Is that what you put up? 

I'm not as worried about the scale because, when I print it, it should be correct on printed page, but, yes, I need to work on that as well. What I am having a problem with is, Referencing the page layout through the "insert" arrow for the text box?

487585784_ScreenShot2020-03-01at2_06_49PM.thumb.png.7ab485234a0febca6708771aaac8d746.png 1659442379_ScreenShot2020-03-01at1_56_14PM.thumb.png.a65fb8acdd95adc079f2fadb653bcf0a.png874803698_ScreenShot2020-03-01at1_51_27PM.thumb.png.1de83aa2f7bc8b86312c0ad22122d01d.png

On 3/1/2020 at 12:12 PM, dkmtek said:

I have no idea where that is?? ..............OK I found it, I think, It's blank?? What I found was, "Marker defaults - Default". Is that what you put up? 

I'm not as worried about the scale because, when I print it, it should be correct on printed page, but, yes, I need to work on that as well. What I am having a problem with is, Referencing the page layout through the "insert" arrow for the text box?

487585784_ScreenShot2020-03-01at2_06_49PM.thumb.png.7ab485234a0febca6708771aaac8d746.png 1659442379_ScreenShot2020-03-01at1_56_14PM.thumb.png.a65fb8acdd95adc079f2fadb653bcf0a.png874803698_ScreenShot2020-03-01at1_51_27PM.thumb.png.1de83aa2f7bc8b86312c0ad22122d01d.png

As mentioned your page 1 info is on Page 0 Page info not Page 1's

on page 0 you should have nothing under Title and description.

And yes the Marker lines are Blank until you insert the Layout Page Title Macro ( M> button) and Scale info ( text )

M.  

Duh! Thanks! That's what I'd refer to as, A "Brain Fart"! Thanks! All fixed and I appreciate your help! As for the scaling thing? I believe I'm correct on the scaling printing correctly but, changes as working in plan while zooming in and out? Is there a way to make it display what it will print out no matter what scale I'm working on (Zoom screen)? 

Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, dkmtek said:

Duh! Thanks! That's what I'd refer to as, A "Brain Fart"! Thanks! All fixed and I appreciate your help!

I have not seen your method done before.  You may be better off using %layout_label% and not starting your auto numbering until page 1.   Just manually number your template page in the Label: field.  I may be wrong but it could save you some trouble in the future.

26 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I have not seen your method done before.  You may be better off using %layout_label% and not starting your auto numbering until page 1.   Just manually number your template page in the Label: field.  I may be wrong but it could save you some trouble in the future.

I agree , it's how I do it...  ie I use %layout_Label% not %view_name% for the Page Number in the Text box on Page 0

M.

image.thumb.png.992b3cd874138640981993824f19eea9.png

4 minutes ago, dkmtek said:

That's the way it comes up in my system?? Should I be picking the info from a different area? 

756430682_ScreenShot2020-03-01at3_25_52PM.thumb.png.a73715c0354863479439a96822c4ecd1.png

you are in Layout ...so Layout Info  and specifically whatever you type on the Layout Label Text Area will appear there .

The Hash tag just makes Chief Number Pages consecutively.  So you can use A-# for Architectural Pages, E-# for Elevations etc as you Prefer, you don't need to use the word Page.

M.

Yes, Layout is where I create a "Layout" template. But, I was answering to the previous comment about using %view.name% instead of what (I believe) you posted referring to it as %view.label%? ............OK, I found Label vs name in the drop downs. Seems to function ALMOST the same, except that, label pulls from Label: and Name, pulls from Selected page. Which is why I change all the verbage to Page vs P. When I first did this, It showed up as "Page" vs "P" because I didn't realize where exactly it was pulling from. So, to make it easier, I changed the verbiage. (Plan vs Layout) Was possible trying to pull the plan page information because I'm pulling from multiple plans for this layout. So now that this has all been changed and working OK (showing the correct information) it shows a flaw in the system (At least in my opinion?). Because everything has to be done on "Page 0" of the layout to automatically generate into the following pages, my "Layout Page Table" shows the first line as being blank, (See below)Page 0. But for now, it's good enough.

No advice on the scaling issue? 

1293148531_ScreenShot2020-03-01at4_01_02PM.thumb.png.f3b448c277cdefcbcde813ad77aa5596.png

336364744_ScreenShot2020-03-01at4_02_52PM.png.f80626b988a613d58b89332405733c6c.png

A few notes:

That %scale% macro works great, BUT it must be placed in plan if you want to get the correct printed results.  When placed directly in layout, all you'll get is the scale of the actual drawing in layout as it relates to the page.  So, if you print your PDF "To Scale", then the resulting text will be "1 in. = 1 in."

Don't forget that we actually have automated page number macros.  Not sure I see the benefit to using the page label.  It just seems like extra work to me based on the page numbering system you're using.  If it's me, I would just do this:

1. As Mick said:  Open Layout Page 0 and uncheck Include In Layout Page Table
  2. Replace the Label Column with the Number column and Rename it "Page"...Page.thumb.png.7cb1a0db9ced555ba4d5fede6254a42d.png
  3. Replace your "%view.name%" macro with "Page: %page.print%"...

The results will be totally automated page numbering (no need to enter it manually), and in my opinion, the Layout Page Table looks less cluttered without the extra "Page" on every line...

Table.thumb.png.e69c432f5c7139206c8393c32ba87847.png

Page 2.png

• Like 1

Thanks! The page numbering thing I had fixed already (Many ways to skin a cat, so to speak), but the scaling thing is good. How do I then get that to the "Layout set" in a certain location (Title block scale:) easier than sending the whole page and cropping it down then moving it into place on page "0"? 

3 minutes ago, dkmtek said:

Thanks! The page numbering thing I had fixed already (Many ways to skin a cat, so to speak), but the scaling thing is good. How do I then get that to the "Layout set" in a certain location (Title block scale:) easier than sending the whole page and cropping it down then moving it into place on page "0"? 

A few ways to skin that cat too.  First thing I’d say is that using the Page 0 method is really risky unless you are VERY consistent about always using the same scale for every single view.  If you are though, what you just spelled out is about the only method.

A safer method is to either strategically position the %scale% macro in the view itself, this way it always reflects what’s actually happening; OR, use the layout box scale macro instead (either in the actual label or using a referenced context macro).  

Aside from those methods, I think manual entry is best.