Terran Copy

timmy123

Hi,

I have a hilly site and would like to make sure my building does not exceed 30 feet from the terrain, is there a way to copy the terrain and lift it by 30 feet(then enable disable it) to check that all the ridges/building height are below 30 feet?

Thx,

Timmy:

I don't think so

one method I use to check the building envelope for height restriction'

is to place walls around the lot perimeter and set them to transparent

set this "room to have a ceiling of 30' but no roof

then take a 3d view and rotate around and see any terrain pokes thru

see post #10 in this thread:

http://www.chieftalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1866&d=1118600499

Lew

Timmy, I certainly don't follow your approach. I'm not sure anyone will be able to give you a good answer without seeing the plan or knowing much more information. I for one would have to see how you did your terrain. Is the terrain complete? Is the house already placed in the correct location on the property? Is the building platform height set correctly based on the house location on the terrain and elevation data (heights)? If the house is sitting on an area of the terrain where the terrain is sloped, then the ridge heights will vary from the ground around the house due to the slope. If the house is sitting on an flat part of the terrain, then is a simple math calculation you can do to get a quick estimated height. How much of the foundation is exposed from the ground? This will make a difference on the building pad height. Are you asking this question because you have an aerial easement on the property? If so, are you showing it on a site plan? Certain questions I feel are better to ask with one on one help online or in person because it would take way too long to answer it here without having many posts. However, if someone has already seen the plan then maybe they can give you some good answers. I see you have some previous posts about importing or exporting surveys.   

BTW, I have to show some ridge heights in elevations to the planning department. Doing it Lew's way would not help me for permitting.

Believe it or not,  The Bridge Troll knows what he is trying to do without a plan.  

Go to TERRAIN SPECIFICATION<GENERAL<BULDING PAD and change that number in the box by 30'......  either positive or negative,  you figure it out,  this will now hide your building if you do not exceed the 30' height limit.

If you house is over 30' above grade,  you will see it sticking out of the terrain.

A very clever usage to determine if the house exceeds the maximum height limit

You can probably get the same info from a simple elevation outside the terrain perimeter.

Not so,  Imagine a terrain that has dips and rises and you have a model with hips and gables and different plate heights at different areas....  I think Timmy is being quite clever in determining if any point of house exceeds the 30' height limitation at any point directly below any point of house.

morning Timmy,

1. turn off all layers except the terrain & make the skirt 10mm (½") thick & "follow terrain".

2. take an orthographic full overview.

3. export 3D model (any are fine)

4. import 3D symbol (or drag & drop into plan)

5. save as symbol & place on its own layer.

6. overlay it on the terrain

7. give it the correct elevation & you're good to go.

regards, Brian

I thought it would have been measured from a single hi/lo or average natural grade to highest point of roof; average roof hgt, or something like that. I've never had to do it any other way.

My mistake.

Jim, come to Cali and I will teach you all sorts of funky things.

You forget Scott, that I am "in" Cali. But Cali is a very very big state & I am only familiar w/ how this issue is dealt w/ in jurisdictions in & around LA & SF.

Yeah,  I get it,  heck fire,  I think where I am at,  I can probably come up with at least 3 different definitions of height above grade depending on the jurisdiction.

d dot,

What do you mean

Okay, probably the perfect answer.

Of course it's the perfect answer! :)

The driveway doesn't make any difference - height is measured off terrain.

A variation is to give the Terrain Feature a Height of 30' and a thickness of, say 1/2" and you will just get a floating thin plane that mirrors the terrain at 30' high.

post-106-0-72311500-1413947541_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-04679400-1413947574_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1