Breaking Polylines

ChiefUserChrisK

Hello!

This might sound like a dumb question and I am sure this has been asked before, but when you break a line segment, is there any way to re-attach it? Without clicking undo a bunch of times? I am new to Chief and am still trying to figure out the best way to draw a plan without having to back track. Thank you!

26 minutes ago, ChiefUserChrisK said:

Hello!

This might sound like a dumb question and I am sure this has been asked before, but when you break a line segment, is there any way to re-attach it? Without clicking undo a bunch of times? I am new to Chief and am still trying to figure out the best way to draw a plan without having to back track. Thank you!

Just drag them back together, or draw a new line connecting them. A new line drawn to connect other lines must have the same properties (layer, weight, line style) in order to establish a connection. When the line segments are connected they will retain a joint at that connection.

It kind of depends on how you broke it to begin with and what you did after that.

If the lines end points are already lined up, then you can just select a line and single click on the end handle.  The lines should join into a single polyline unless any of the attributes are different or if Connect CAD Segments is turned off.

If the lines end points are not lined up, you could drag one end handle on top of the other (with snaps on) or use the Intersect/Join Two Lines tool.

If you are trying to get rid of extra points in the middle of a polyline, you can use the Simplify Polyline tool.

If you want to add a new line to close up an open polyline, there is also a Close Polyline tool.

joining lines.png

• Upvote 1