X12 Final Release - Problems still exist

Joe_Carrick

I'm still having some problems with macros not getting automatically updated. 

• In some cases I have to select an object and open TMM in order to get them to update. 
  • In another case I have to open a Wall Schedule and then close it to get a Custom Field to update

In addition, I get a warning message when I place a Tray Ceiling in a room.

• "The rooms that contain this Trey Ceiling have different ceiling finish definitions.  This may lead to unexpected results."
  • Not true and the message won't go away.

Does anyone know where I can get the list of features/fixes for this release?

Carrie,

Is there a list of known bugs?   If your development team already knows about some problems, it would save people looking for answers that don't yet exist, and it would let us know what we have to work around.

Thanks.

Doug

Perhaps, but AutoDesk publishes a list of known problems to show they know there are problems but they are working on them.  By doing this, if you stumble upon a known issue, you aren't posting about it because that would be a waste of time.  In my opinion, it shows that the company cares about the user experience and that they are on top of the development.  

We are not as big as some other companies so we don't currently have the resources to do this.  You should always assume that there are no known issues and report any and all problems you find directly to our technical support team.  And never assume that because something was mentioned in a random forum post that we will know about it.

Hi Dermot, thanks for that update and in that case, here is an issue that I ran into. 

Michael (Alaskan Son) helped me solve the problem, and you may not consider it an issue but it is easy to duplicate the problem and hard to find what is causing it.

This is an example of putting the wrong info into the floor layer dbx and that information causes very unexpected results.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:21 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

In addition, I get a warning message when I place a Tray Ceiling in a room.

• "The rooms that contain this Trey Ceiling have different ceiling finish definitions.  This may lead to unexpected results."
  • Not true and the message won't go away.

In general, when you encounter this message, it likely means that the trey ceiling is extending into a room that you didn't expect it to, which, depending on the context, may or may not be a bug. If you change the color of the "Ceiling Planes" layer to something that stands out, it can be easier to see which room is getting involved.

43 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Hi Ben,

I sent the offending plan to support this morning.  I'm pretty sure there is only one room and I don't think there's a separate ceiling plane either.

It's not necessarily a separate ceiling plane; there's a single large ceiling plane whose edges run along the walls of all rooms that the trey ceiling has extended into. To give an example, I looked at a plan today (which may have been the one you sent in) where the outer trey ceiling plane in the master bedroom "spread" through an invisible wall "doorway" into the master bath. Because of the arrangement of the plan, it was very much not obvious that it had done so, as that part of the trey ceiling was hidden by the room's own ceiling, but changing the layer color made it clearer where exactly the ceiling plane was being placed.

There's probably some room for improvement in how we handle unusual cases like that one, but in the meantime, there are some workarounds, such as replacing invisible walls with doorways, that can help guide the algorithm.

Hi Ben,

That was in fact my plan that you looked at.  I replaced the room divider with a full height doorway and the warning went away.

But IMO this needs to be fixed.  Room dividers shouldn't result in such a warning, especially when the Tray (note the spelling- it's not Trey) Ceiling doesn't cross over thru the room divider.

• Upvote 1

Apparently what's happening is the Tray Ceiling actually creates it's own "Ceiling Plane" but doesn't recognize the Room Divider ("Invisible Wall") even though it actually is classified as "Defining a Room Separation".  The created "Ceiling Plane" then encompasses both rooms incorrectly.

That's got to be a program bug.

34 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Apparently what's happening is the Tray Ceiling actually creates it's own "Ceiling Plane" but doesn't recognize the Room Divider ("Invisible Wall") even though it actually is classified as "Defining a Room Separation".  The created "Ceiling Plane" then encompasses both rooms incorrectly.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem exactly...but, the room divider/tray ceiling seems to work for me in X12.

2020-02-28_12-03-46.thumb.png.fbeb0fbe6eeb62bab8446aadefe6aa27.png2020-02-28_12-05-23.thumb.png.52ec3e29b9e79d9b8488fad1c3d0123c.png

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This behavior (at least when the rooms on either side of the divider have the same ceiling height) is actually intentional; it tries to "flood fill" the largest area of flat ceiling possible so it's not left with awkward gaps that can't be filled except with manual custom ceiling planes. Additionally, without that behavior, it would be impossible to have a trey ceiling polyline span a room divider, which is useful for some kinds of "open plan" designs.

What is a bug is having it span room dividers when the ceiling isn't flat. That should be addressed (at least for the common cases) in the next update.

53 minutes ago, solver said:

Draw a room and divide it with a room divider to create 2 rooms. Raise the ceiling in one of the rooms.

Take a cross section.

Create a Tray Ceiling in the room with the raised ceiling, specifying Recess Into Ceiling.

Look at the cross section.

Undo the tray ceiling and then do the same building it in the room with the lower ceiling.

Thanks Eric...now I got it.  Yea...doesn't quite work the way you'd think it should.  Your suggestion as a work around does work...and it's not that cumbersome either.  I can live with it..

2 hours ago, BenMerritt said:

This behavior (at least when the rooms on either side of the divider have the same ceiling height) is actually intentional; it tries to "flood fill" the largest area of flat ceiling possible so it's not left with awkward gaps that can't be filled except with manual custom ceiling planes.

So in my plan - which you reviewed - the answer would be to not have the Master Bath Ceiling lowered by editing the Ceiling Finish.

This sort of thing is just not obvious to the user.

IMO a Room Divider should separate the rooms, including any ceiling definition and a Tray Ceiling shouldn't span rooms.