Estimates From Existing Drawings

heffe06

Is it possible to use Chief Architect to do take offs from an existing pdf or tif?

¥es,  if the pdf is an image of the take off sheet.....  just goofing  with ya..... JC is correct of course,  a PDF is just a picture.

Planswift (and other software) can do takeoffs from images

I was scoping them out as a nice companion to Chief

create the 3D model in Chief, then export the various images into Planswift

http://www.planswift.com/

Lew

Thanks for the link Lew,  this looks a bit interesting......  not for me but for my clients......  one day when I feel comfortable with CA's material lists,  I will use CA's material list for my clients..... just not quite comfortable with CA's material list yet.

Scott:

I agree about Chief's ML

even CA states that the ML accuracy is dependent on an accurate model

but with all the workarounds using Polyline solids and soffits and slabs and base cabinets etc

???

with software like Planswift you can create "assemblies" for walls, doors, windows etc

then import the floorplans and elevations and do take-offs

or use National Craftsman database etc

I started checking this out when Cad Estimator (Cadest) was available years ago

and it looked very promising

but I only had one client that was ever interested in ML or takeoffs

and he retired before I could get it

Lew

• 1 month later...

sorry, but Chief doesn't have take-off capabilities

Lew

We often use both Planswift and Chief for takeoff, depending upon the project and what is needed. Planswift is a fully functional digital takeoff plan that records all takeoff information so that it can be saved in report form and graphically using layers that can be color coded, hatched,etc..  These layers can be turned on/off which enables us to see what has been accounted for, or missed.  We rarely put Chief plans into Planswift, but often import images/pdf's into Chief (if they can be scaled).  This often is done with surveys to generate site takeoff information that is a part of a Chief design project.  Certainly Chief is quite limited, but sometimes the most convenient depending upon the project.

Bob

We rarely put Chief plans into Planswift, but often import images/pdf's into Chief (if they can be scaled)

Hmmm, from the CADEST and Planswift videos that I watched

the process was to create floorplans and elevations in Chief then import them

into CADEST or Planswift and do the estimates and take-offs there

bottom line is that Chief can't do it alone

Lew

We rarely put Chief plans into Planswift, but often import images/pdf's into Chief (if they can be scaled)

Hmmm, from the CADEST and Planswift videos that I watched

the process was to create floorplans and elevations in Chief then import them

into CADEST or Planswift and do the estimates and take-offs there

bottom line is that Chief can't do it alone

Lew

No question, I wasn't implying that CA could, only that the strength of Planswift is in the takeoff for estimating, which to a certain degree CA can provide.  I don't care for the estimating part of Planswift and we developed our own Excel estimating program in which we use both CA and/or Planswift for the takeoff info.

• 2 months later...

PlanSwift is great for counting framing lumber, roofing, concrete and drywall. Windows, doors and detailed parts not so much.

If properly input Chief is fantastic for counting windows and doors and inputting the schedules into Excel for placing detailed orders.

Chief could and should have a better way to create a comprehensive take off like plan swift. If a floor is comprised of a basic 9’wall and wall framing is built why can’t CA tell me how plates and 104 5/8 studs I need? Instead I spend another $1000 on the PS software and more time to get my bids done properly

this has been suggested for the entire decade that I have been using chief (ver 9.5)

I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon :(

Lew

Lew,

Why wait any longer?

A decade is a long time to wait for something that is already available - and has been for quite a while.

It has already happened sooner! :)

Chief CAN do a cut list.

I have been using Chief for take offs for many years by using a spread sheet and inputting my data from my Chief working drawings.

Once I have the model drawn I produce automatic framing plans for floors, walls and Ceilings and use polylines to measure area and draw in 2d items that CA does not automatically generate.

Of course you have to do some manual work but at least if you do it that way it is accurate and complete and can be used as an order list.

In X7 it should be easier with more items being labeled and of course with the use of schedules in from X6.

If I was given a job at CA I am sure I could guide the program engineers to be able to get Chief to do the whole job but it would need an MEP modeler that can produce its own schedules.

And the roof trusses would need to be engineered along with bracing and other framing elements that need the same as well as getting any concrete beams and floors engineered as well.

That being said you can export your drawings into dwg to the engineers who do those above jobs.

All this could be possible automatically by X10 with the right management and direction taken and then they would have all the home builders linning to buy it like hot cakes?

Never under estimate the power of visual 3d feedback given by Chief.

Even a built in checklist to ensure you have not forgotten any building parts could easily be done but you will still need a disclaimer for yourself and the software company because of human error.

Chief CAN do a cut list

Glenn:

hmmm, not that I ever heard of ???

if it can, its too late for my needs anyways

Lew

Yes Lew, but it wasn't about you.

Maybe you should preface your posts with "As far as I know".  :)

Glenn:

Just re-read the above postings and realized they were about take-offs

when you mentioned cut list I wasn't paying attention

Chief can do cut list via "structural member reporting"

still not sure it can do cut lists for cabinets or sheets of plywood etc

Lew

Yes if you need very accurate costing and cut lists you still need to export your drawings to subcontractors to get an accurate cost. Chief could go down this line of program development since the cabinet function is fairly well developed.