Note Types

AvoyeDesign

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Schedule Defaults > Note Schedule > New Custom Category

Would I find it a different way in X11?  I don't have SSA at the moment so I'm not on the X12 beta.

I found it in CAD/TEXT/NOTE TYPE MANAGEMENT in X11.  I commented above that it should be in defaults, it seems like X12 may have moved it there?

X11 abd X12 both have the Note Type Management dialog available in the text menu and toolbar.

X12 also has the ability to create a new note type directly in the Note Specification and Note Defaults dialog.

X12's custom schedule categories really have nothing to do with note types.

note specification dialog.png

Just to be clear, note defaults are not the same as note types.

You can create new note defaults in both X11 and X12 through the Default Settings dialog.

You can only create new note types from the Note Type Management dialog in X11.

You can also create new note types in the Note Specification dialog or the Note Defaults dialog in X12.  Please take another look at the picture I posted above.

I use notes but its seems awkward the way I'm using them and I'm not good with written instruction. Video's and illustrations are easier for me to learn.
Are there any good help video's I could be missing that anyone is aware of? The one I have seen in Chief are not very helpful so far that I've seen.
Any help in this would be appreciated. 

16 hours ago, Dermot said:

You can create new note defaults in both X11 and X12 through the Default Settings dialog.

You can also create new note types in the Note Specification dialog or the Note Defaults dialog in X12.  Please take another look at the picture I posted above.

What is the difference between a NOTE TYPE...and a NOTE DEFAULT.  Could you elaborate...

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification Dermot.  I do understand the distinction.  Just spoke a little too quickly with my answer.  I jus deleted it so as not to confuse matters.  

The way this is written is confusing to me I think because you don't create a "Note Default"

You crate a "Note Type"
You set a "Note Default"

At least that's the way I understand it

12 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

The way this is written is confusing to me I think because you don't create a "Note Default"

You crate a "Note Type"
You set a "Note Default"

At least that's the way I understand it

You actually both Create AND Set Note Defaults.  This is true of all Multiple Saved Defaults.  You can’t set your Active Defaults to your Foundation Note Default if you don’t first create that default.

Note defaults can be used to control how notes are created when you place a new one using the Note tool.  You can create as many different saved note defaults as you like in the same way that you can create different defaults for dimensions, text, markers, callouts, etc.  The first picture below shows the dialog you can get to through the Default Settings dialog.  Only one saved note default can be the active default for the current view which controls how new notes will be created.  You can also set the active note default in several other ways including using the Edit Active View dialog or the Saved Plan View dialog.

Note types can be used to organize your notes in your note schedules.  The program comes with some generic note types already setup (Bath Notes, Construction Notes, Electrical Notes, etc.), but you can create as many new ones as you like.  When you create a note schedule, you can then specify that it will only contain notes of the specified type(s) that you want.  The second picture below shows how you can choose which note types to include in your note schedule.

In X12, you can also create custom categories for organizing schedules that will work with all objects and schedules.  These custom categories are more flexible than note types but are otherwise pretty similar.

note defaults.png

note schedule.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You actually both Create AND Set Note Defaults.  This is true of all Multiple Saved Defaults.  You can’t set your Active Defaults to your Foundation Note Default if you don’t first create that default.

So you create a type and then set the default. I totally get it but this is where I have problems with written instruction.
Dermot say's; "you can create a new default" in his description but he misses a step in my opinion and its confusing. He isn't wrong but its just confusing and most instructions are like this and it messes with my head. Most of the time I'm just reading it wrong or missing something. I guess this is just my handicap and I have to deal with it. I can run multiple jobs and deal with several employees and subcontractor and make the money but I cant seem to follow simple instruction! LOL

Capture.thumb.PNG.dfb738515a6c9904dbbb1259e261163b.PNG

9 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Note defaults can be used to control how notes are created when you place a new one using the Note tool.  You can create as many different saved note defaults as you like in the same way that you can create different defaults for dimensions, text, markers, callouts, etc.  The first picture below shows the dialog you can get to through the Default Settings dialog.  Only one saved note default can be the active default for the current view which controls how new notes will be created.  You can also set the active note default in several other ways including using the Edit Active View dialog or the Saved Plan View dialog.

Note types can be used to organize your notes in your note schedules.  The program comes with some generic note types already setup (Bath Notes, Construction Notes, Electrical Notes, etc.), but you can create as many new ones as you like.  When you create a note schedule, you can then specify that it will only contain notes of the specified type(s) that you want.  The second picture below shows you you can choose which note types to include in your note schedule.

In X12, you can also create custom categories for organizing schedules that will work with all objects and schedules.  These custom categories are more flexible than note types but are otherwise pretty similar.

note defaults.png

note schedule.png

Very well done Dermot!! That clears it all up for me.
I have another question for you.
I setup my library with all the same note types and I save the notes to the library note types I created. Is that the only way (or best way) to save the notes? Or is there another way?