Double Floor being created

Doug_N

I have a strange problem with a file created by one of my clients.  Not that the client created the problem, it may have been something that i did, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on here.

If you click on one of the rooms at the back of the house, ( Raised Floor or Kitchen) then click on "generate framing" There is a double layer of floor joists and rim joists.228798890_FloorPlan.thumb.jpg.6b2f1686c928810931af2c5cfaed2868.jpg218173846_DoubleFloorJoists.jpg.814930558aef6aa66af5ee2127d34eec.jpg

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it?

Floor_Problem.zip

2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Was the floor manually changed leaving a double floor thickness?  What is the ceiling below set at?  Could it be 8” joists and 8” rafters?

No, I don't think so.  If you click on the joists, both layers are listed as floor joists.  

2 minutes ago, javatom said:

Delete all your floor joists and tell it to rebuild them.

I have tried the simple things, including your suggestion.

In fact, to simplify the model I erased everything but one area of the building to get rid of any possible interference from other things.  

After each change, I delete all framing and regenerate.  Every time two layers of floor joists appear.

1332277554_DoubleFloorJoistsOrtho.thumb.jpg.b47ea1e5feb9d8138c8c897c52de33db.jpg

Simplified.zip

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Your floor structure has 2 layers that are both defined as framing material.  Change the subfloor to a non framing material.

Michael, 

You nailed it.  This is how it was set up.  

351453149_FirFraming.thumb.jpg.93c968e6b0854be50efc2be65bc33234.jpg

Amazingly, even though it lists the TOTAL assembly assy at 8 1/4 inches, it made TWO layers at 16 1/2"   I kind of think this is a bit of a gotcha.

Here is my dbx following your comment

1206724199_PlywoodplusFraming.thumb.jpg.5e0c210de9b8066b7d1408e37d9df9d4.jpg

Should this be reported as a bug?   It seems like a bug to me.  

In any case, erasing all framing and regenerating creates a floor with only one layer.

I now have significantly less hair than I had this morning

Thanks Michael.

Doug

15 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Should this be reported as a bug?   It seems like a bug to me. 

That's really up to you whether you report it or not but I say not.  It's actually the joist direction arrow that's causing the problem but I think it's working as designed.  By default, that arrow is initially created using the uppermost (3/4") framing layer.  When the Depth was changed in the Joist Direction Specification dialog, it automatically adjusted the thickness of the upper joists to suit.  It may be behaving unexpectedly, but it was some faulty settings that really caused the problem in the first place.  Had you actually wanted a 3/4" thick furring layer, it would have worked just fine had the joist direction arrow not been changed.

Well, I don't think that the joist direction symbol had anything to do with it because the double floor problem occurred prior to my using joist direction.  I did the joist direction in an effort to track down what was causing the problem (not very successfully as it turns out.)  But the joist direction tool did offer me a clue by indicating a silly joist value.

In any case, maybe one of the tech staff will read this thread and offer an opinion.