combine plans

Thomas22

16 hours ago, Thomas22 said:

Is there a way to take a somewhat complex Freestanding garage and paste it into house plans to model how it relates to the house

Yes, you can make a symbol of it and insert it into the house plan.  That is how I do it and then do a rendering.

16 hours ago, solver said:

You have a garage in one plan and the house in another?

That is the way I do detached garages.  It makes things a whole bunch more simple.

8 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

Yes, you can make a symbol of it and insert it into the house plan.  That is how I do it and then do a rendering.

Yup best way to do it for renderings.  But note that will not copy the plan rather it makes it a 3d symbol so once you have done that it is not able to be adjusted like a regular plan.  Make sure you have a saved plan of the garage.

if you are good with the house and the garage and are just trying to do a 3d rendering you can do it with both the house and the garage in a separate file to keep it streamlined in size when you add lots of landscaping/hard scaling details.

9 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

That is the way I do detached garages.  It makes things a whole bunch more simple.

That kinda works for a render visual, but doesn't address the plan aspect with schedules and data reporting for the structure.  Honestly, this is an area Chief really doesn't have any good answer for since they don't allow blocking of certain objects.  I wish Chief would find a better solution for multi-structure plan files.

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

That kinda works for a render visual, but doesn't address the plan aspect with schedules and data reporting for the structure. 

I can usually fit the whole garage, elevations, framing, schedules on a sheet or two so they DO have separate schedules than the house, but it works.

11 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

I can usually fit the whole garage, elevations, framing, schedules on a sheet or two so they DO have separate schedules than the house, but it works.

You're saying by adding it to Layout - but I guess for us having a single window/door schedule for the project is fairly important.  If you can break it out into separate schedules then you're idea works all the way around.

From my perspective working in other apps like Vectorworks I can have any structure - group it, and ungroup in any other plan file and its seamless.  So Chief feels unnecessarily burdensome in this regard - and its something I run into often.

The same principle for this concept project below....a 4-plex in concept stage I didn't want to have 4 different model structures in the same file - so I tired the symbol solution and you see the lines between the units i couldn't get rid of.

krieger_concept_townhouses.pdf

2 hours ago, wjmdes said:

I have on some drawings put the entire garage on its own layer (or layer's) so that I can just turn it on or off when I need too. This way when you need the garage in the full rendering you have it.