Furniture Kicks

StepOneDesign

Hi all,

I am looking to find the "proper way" (I can do it, but doesn't look properly finished, curious to know peoples methods) in chief to do these two details:

Furniture Kicks, and and built up island end panel/gable (even more challenging when the gables are thick, and have stile and rail on all sides......  

Are there any shortcuts?  (too bad you can't do a - in the kick, and then just plant on mouldings? )

(Wish I could have taken Intermediate K and B, on top of the Intermediate RD in Vegas :))

Thanks much

Lisa

PS.  I know how to do panel function, thanks.

Kick.thumb.jpg.c3e0dadd591921df5f7c16053041fb8b.jpg

There are likely 4 or more methods you can use to create this. Which one you choose depends on whether or not you just need a nice visual or it needs to be accurate to how it will be supplied and installed. I always use the latter criteria so I get the order correct and can properly analyze how it will be put together on the site.

The one below uses a combination of solids, door/drawer panels, a decorative valance, base moldings and cabinets. The base corner posts were made using a main solid, the recess was done via a solid subtraction and then the inside recess detail was done with a 3D molding. The item was than blocked as it would be supplied as a factory completed component. All other items are just stand alone individual items as this is how they would be supplied and fitted.

1388206241_KitchenIslandEnd.thumb.jpg.4aa4209b277bafb086d638175955e3e5.jpg

• Like 1

A furniture kick is on what you see in the photo - the built up moulding at bottom edge.

I use latest version CA.

Not sure there is any shortcuts here.  Would be great if Chief could add an extra function - like I mentioned - under "Toe Kick", they could do a moulding option (similar to the crown option)....would save a lot of time.  I am trying to avoid a few steps, either by creating a cad detail, or working with polylines/mouldings.  But this is what I can see is the only solution.

Thought there may be other users out there that have quicker methods?

Hope Chief is reading this - cause it would be a really awesome feature.

As far as the end "gables" or legs on islands like the photo above - they are always a pain for me. 

I suppose I could build a "shell" in CAD, add it to my library, and then modify to suit as per project.

They are not really a panel, and there seems to be no quick way to do them.  I am talking about fancier ones, like this:

image.thumb.png.7e9481b2fa94327406ef2e2c94c69f0a.png

Lisa

5 minutes ago, StepOneDesign said:

lyThanks Kitchen Abode.

So basically - no shortcuts per se is what I am hearing.

L

Depends on what you consider a short cut. Based on your first sample pic you could likely do that with a single cabinet. 3" depth, shaker front panel door and a base molding all done within the cabinets DBX. 3 actions is not bad

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, StepOneDesign said:

there seems to be no quick way to do them.

I hate to say it, but this is entirely dependent on your skill level with Chief, as well as how much tweaking and adjusting your design will get. Just focusing on the island for the moment:

Define your cabinet / pilaster / panel layout in plan view before adding the details. The details can be super quick if you disseminate the process before you start. The furniture molding can be drawn in mere seconds. It can be replicated 30" up and replaced with a different molding. Applied moldings for the pilasters and panels can be drawn in plan view, converted to a symbol, rotated to be vertical and stretch planes adjusted, then placed and sized around the pilaster and panels almost as quickly as you can type this sentence! 

It's a good idea to define and organize your moldings before you start!

As far as I can tell, you can already do what you want just using the cabinet tools.  See attached plan and picture. 

"I use latest version CA"

I was tempted to post an X12 plan but since I didn't really believe you I posted an X11 plan instead.  

"Would be great if Chief could add an extra function - like I mentioned - under "Toe Kick", they could do a moulding option (similar to the crown option)....would save a lot of time."

I'm not sure what you are asking for since you can already add horizontal moldings to any part of the cabinet.  In my attached plan, I set the toe kick depth to 0 and put a base molding at the bottom.

"Hope Chief is reading this"

Don't count on this.  This is a user forum and we don't have time to read every post.  If you want to make sure a feature request will get logged into our internal database, you need to post it on the Suggestions forum.  If you want to let us know about a program problem, you need to contact our technical support team and report it to us.  Any comments in other posts are not guaranteed to be seen.

Furniture Kick.png

furniture kick.plan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/19/2020 at 10:37 AM, StepOneDesign said:

So basically - no shortcuts per se is what I am hearing.

L

what Dermot Said- this is just cabinets, few minutes using wainscot panel I had, few more to make a new one with a template plan I use. Open cabinet DBX and check all faces, and accessory panel  molding tab.

image.thumb.png.6702c6f3870bef50d9db51326d507234.png

• Upvote 1

Thanks Alaskan_Son.  Really appreciate the video.

Robdyck you are right, and I learn new stuff everyday.....just trying to break bad habits - ha ha.

Yah. Not my first day.  And YES I am using 12.

However, never said I was an expert. 

(Note to self - when posting - reread the tone of your message)

Was just wondering about other peoples methods!!!  And what to do when it gets intricate.  Like widening that leg and framing, for instance.

Really appreciate the positive comments.  It's all a learning curve, and everyone is at different speeds.  

image.thumb.png.e418e1f80324392313dd4d708083d838.png

Thanks MarkMc!!!

That's exactly what I am talking about - other methods that work great!

I'm so up to my eyeballs with work all the time, that I don't always get a chance to play, and find things like this door profile that do the job for me!

Have a great day!