Perspective Crop tool still works in X12...

Chrisb222

Not a question, just an observation.

I was pretty miffed when I read in the X12 update notes that the Perspective Crop tool had been removed, as I use this tool extensively for setting up 3D exterior views. The language in the notes was pretty clear that the "deprecated" tool was REMOVED, but it still exists in the customize toolbars dialog, in case anyone else wants to still use it. It works the same as it did in X11.

(In my opinion the tool was NOT deprecated, I use it all the time.)

Not sure why they would say it was REMOVED when it's still there..?

From the update notes, emphasis mine:

1. Perspective Crop Mode

In Chief Architect X8 through X11, Perspective Crop Mode allowed older functionality governing zooming in cameras from Version X7 and prior to be preserved in saved cameras in legacy plans migrated forward. This deprecated tool has been removed from the program in Version X12 ....

2122779228_ScreenShot2020-02-15at2_47_36PM.thumb.png.a8647065287835eab5d62243a7c5d77a.png

Me too, I use this camera view setting and was surprised to see that it had been removed from the standard menus. Found it and put it back. Yes it can go a bit wonky at times but if this was the basis for removing tools then half of the tools in Chief would need to be removed. Also found the old copy and paste in place tool and also put it back, use this all the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Found it and put it back. Yes it can go a bit wonky at times but if this was the basis for removing tools then half of the tools in Chief would need to be removed.

Agree totally. I, too, use the crop tool like Chris, especially for exterior perspective shots. Yes, it sometimes drives me crazy, but it is still a functional tool to me. I think this type of thinking on CA's part is why some get frustrated with CA's "improvements" - sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, as far as the user base goes.

1 minute ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Agree totally. I, too, use the crop tool like Chris, especially for exterior perspective shots. Yes, it sometimes drives me crazy, but it is still a functional tool to me. I think this type of thinking on CA's part is why some get frustrated with CA's "improvements" - sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, as far as the user base goes.

Agree, they also changed the icons for saving camera views and editing the active camera, can barely make them out, little tiny camera with a tiny disc and pencil. Don't get me started, downloaded X12 Beta and so far, at least concerning the tools I use, I'm not impressed. Just wait until you try out the so called new ability to edit p-solids in all views, need to take a few more blood pressure pills before taking another look at it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

+1

I don't know how any user would benefit from this tool being removed. Even stranger to me is that they would portray it as being removed when it was not. I'm GLAD it wasn't totally removed, but it does seem that it was hidden, but why...??

I think it was because tech support was getting too many calls about this tool.

When you use perspective crop mode, the camera stays in the one spot and the view is graphically cropped.

This means that if you send that view to layout the full view gets sent, not the cropped view.

I don’t have access to Chief at the moment, but I am pretty sure that is correct.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, glennw said:

I think it was because tech support was getting too many calls about this tool.

When you use perspective crop mode, the camera stays in the one spot and the view is graphically cropped.

This means that if you send that view to layout the full view gets sent, not the cropped view.

I don’t have access to Chief at the moment, but I am pretty sure that is correct.

Maybe so but they should fix that not remove the tool. The main issue is that it's the only camera view function that allows you to get a decent view in a small room.

308691223_KettBathroom1.thumb.jpg.a58760a7bc3e7a3378ec17e79a0e87dc.jpg

How do you get a full screen view using any other camera mode/setting?

The perspective crop mode was removed from prior versions of the X12 beta but was put back in right before the public beta was released.  Unfortunately, the documentation was not updated at the last minute to reflect these changes.  We apologize for any confusion that this may cause.

3 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Thanks for the update Dermot.   It is gratifying to see that CA are monitoring the forum and paying attention, jumping in when a simple post can clear up a ton of misunderstanding.  Well done.

The provided explanation is not entirely correct. Yes they put it back in the software but not back in it's original place. It has been removed from it's original menu location and relocated to the background. If you wish to have this tool back you now need to use customize toolbars and find it. Had it been put back in it's original menu location no one would have been the wiser.

19 hours ago, Dermot said:

The perspective crop mode was removed from prior versions of the X12 beta but was put back in right before the public beta was released.

I'm glad it was put back. Please do not permanently remove it, it's a very important tool for setting up camera views.

• 2 months later...

I am a new X12 user. I am having trouble with the Perspective Crop Mode feature. Things get very "Wonky" ... Can anyone give me advice on using it? What not to do, anyway? perspective gets elongated and frozen??

UPDATE: I was just advised that I might have been too far away from 0/0 and might also need to adjust my clipping planes. A fellow helped my from a Facebook group for Chief. Awesome!!

Edited by Artfulbuilder
Cut and pasted update. Just realized I could edit previous message. Sorry!