Help w/ Missing Drywall

kwhitt

Yes I see it now. It is X12

See attached.

I had to do the following to fix all the issues:
Make Stair open underneath
1. Added a wall in the powder room & edited it in 3D view. Also, put on a new wall layer not shown in plan view
2. P-solid at the ceiling
3. made this part of the wall an invisible wall segment.
4. another P-solid

CA Moldings.JPG

39 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

See attached.

1. Added a wall in the powder room & edited it in 3D view. Also, put on a new wall layer not shown in plan view
4. another P-solid

CA Moldings.JPG

Thanks Alan.  I appreciate you looking into this.  I will let you know what CA says about this glitch.

6 hours ago, ACADuser said:

See attached.

4. another P-solid

CA Moldings.JPG

Yes...there are ways we can fix these problems...but, this is a glitch for sure.  Way too many work arounds required.

This is definitely a weird one.  When I run into stuff like this, I'll mess with some of the various tricks to make walls and room definitions work for a little bit, but if I can't force Chief into submission, I'll typically resort to just modeling it manually using any number of methods.  In this case:

1.  Change ceiling material for that lower ceiling to a Gap material type.

2.  Create Room Polyline, convert to a Polyline Solid, reshape as necessary to get the desired ceiling, and set to match ceiling height, thickness, and desired material.

3.  Draw a polyline solid in elevation view to create that upper wall section.  I used a CAD Detail From View to get the snaps exact.

4.  Create Room molding polylines for both rooms (for the crown) and adjust as necessary.  Looks like I forgot crown on the end of the problem wall area BTW. 

Maybe not the most ideal solution, but it really only took a few minutes.  A lot faster than the time it takes to futz around with settings sometimes...

379084327_pic1.thumb.jpg.eb82b6ede681de7626243c67a6e2a66e.jpg1838208251_pic2.thumb.jpg.94fb00fb5eebb42d778c1fbb094f8220.jpg

Stair Area Fix.plan

18 hours ago, SNestor said:

this is a glitch for sure.

Not so sure I can totally agree with this.  I can definitely see why this scenario confuses the program.  That little section of wall is kinda in no mans land on multiple levels (stairs, 1st floor room definitions, 2nd floor room definitions, and that open to below room).

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not so sure I can totally agree with this.  I can definitely see why this scenario confuses the program.  That little section of wall is kinda in no mans land on multiple levels (stairs, 1st floor room definitions, 2nd floor room definitions, and that open to below room.

you are referring to the stair rail wall?  

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

you are referring to the stair rail wall?  

I'm talking about this red section of wall that really seems to be the source of most of the problems.  And the stairs themselves add even more complication to the matter.  There's just a lot going on there. 

1096827347_NoMansLand.thumb.jpg.47dee5d72505e77fe53554117380ba7e.jpg807056300_NoMansLand2.thumb.jpg.14e21c78dec94d8864ddd6b1f3ef44fb.jpg

44 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm talking about this red section of wall that really seems to be the source of most of the problems.  And the stairs themselves add even more complication to the matter.  There's just a lot going on there. 

1096827347_NoMansLand.thumb.jpg.47dee5d72505e77fe53554117380ba7e.jpg807056300_NoMansLand2.thumb.jpg.14e21c78dec94d8864ddd6b1f3ef44fb.jpg

But - normally that section would not cause a problem.  I think the two different floor/ceilings are really causing the problem.  

Yes...just use a solid and move along with the design.  But - maybe Chief Engineering can fix this so it doesn’t happen.  

32 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I think the two different floor/ceilings are really causing the problem.  

Yes.  That's exactly what I was saying.  Chief doesn't know what to do with that area.  Like I said, it's in a sort of no-man's land.  Does it belong to the stairwell/open to below area?  The lower ceiling area?  The higher ceiling area?  I don't expect you to answer.  As builders and designers we might know exactly what we want to do with it, but I can certainly see why the software would be confused and ultimately just have to make a decision one way or another.  If it dropped that wall to be part of the lower area, I can gurantee you that behavior is going to cause problems in another plan with a different layout.

35 minutes ago, SNestor said:

But - normally that section would not cause a problem.

Not sure I follow.  What are you using as you basis for "normally".  How would that section normally not be a problem.  Have you modeled this exact scenario before and not had this issue?

Just a quick side note here, but the originally posted plan was far from complete.  I typically wouldn’t invest too much time in forcing changes till the plan was a little further along.  Sometimes with the completion of

various aspects of the plan, these problems end up fixing themselves.  Plus, you don’t want to spend a bunch of time perfecting a solution only t adjust it an hour later once you realize the second floor was t quite right.  

23 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  That's exactly what I was saying.  Chief doesn't know what to do with that area.  Like I said, it's in a sort of no-man's land.  Does it belong to the stairwell/open to below area?  The lower ceiling area?  The higher ceiling area?  I don't expect you to answer.  As builders and designers we might know exactly what we want to do with it, but I can certainly see why the software would be confused and ultimately just have to make a decision one way or another.  If it dropped that wall to be part of the lower area, I can gurantee you that behavior is going to cause problems in another plan with a different layout.

Not sure I follow.  What are you using as you basis for "normally".  How would that section normally not be a problem.  Have you modeled this exact scenario before and not had this issue?

“Normally”....meaning the floor/ceiling height was the same on both sides of the stair.  I’m not at my computer to check...but I doubt the software would have this issue. 

4 hours ago, SNestor said:

“Normally”....meaning the floor/ceiling height was the same on both sides of the stair.  I’m not at my computer to check...but I doubt the software would have this issue. 

Yes.  In that case it would and should work just fine.  No reason not to.  When there's only one ceiling height to use, of course the software will get it right.  In this scenario though, there are 2 ceilings as well as the open to below area.  Remove any one of those variables and and you make it clear as to what's supposed to happen.  The stairs just add even a fourth layer of complication though. 

At any rate, here's another fix using some very strategically placed room dividers and some very specific room definitions...The main key is a very very small room in that open to below area (expanded for clarity in this screenshot)...

807393204_LittleRoom.thumb.png.a87d7a608c9277836f299f767baedb26.png

Stair Area Fix 3.plan

...I basically just thought to myself..."How can I make it clear to Chief that I need a lowered ceiling and a lowered wall in this area?"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  In that case it would and should work just fine.  No reason not to.  When there's only one ceiling height to use, of course the software will get it right.  In this scenario though, there are 2 ceilings as well as the open to below area.  Remove any one of those variables and and you make it clear as to what's supposed to happen.  The stairs just add even a fourth layer of complication though. 

At any rate, here's another fix using some very strategically placed room dividers and some very specific room definitions...The main key is a very very small room in that open to below area (expanded for clarity in this screenshot)...

Stair Area Fix 3.plan

...I basically just thought to myself..."How can I make it clear to Chief that I need a lowered ceiling and a lowered wall in this area?"

Excellent as always Micheal.  

If time isn't a factor (and you have mad skills like @Alaskan_Son) you can probable sledge hammer Chief into submission and get most things to eventually "work".  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Stair Area Fix 3.plan

Thanks Michael.  Great fix!