Help w/ Missing Drywall

kwhitt

I've got a 9' ceiling next to a 10' ceiling.  The wall surface where they meet won't fill in with drywall - 1st image attached.  The second image is an actual photo of the space, however, from the other direction.  I've used a room divider as a break between these different ceiling heights.  Would someone please show me how this is done?  Plan is also attached.  Thanks, Kevin

01.jpg

02.jpg

CHF_Fabrizio_Kitchen_02-14-20.plan

3 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I've got a 9' ceiling next to a 10' ceiling.  The wall surface where they meet won't fill in with drywall - 1st image attached.  The second image is an actual photo of the space, however, from the other direction.  I've used a room divider as a break between these different ceiling heights.  Would someone please show me how this is done?  Plan is also attached.  Thanks, Kevin

01.jpg

02.jpg

Without opening the plan I'm guessing you used an invisible wall type.

There are a number of ways to fix this...

Curious what the actual structure of the home is. Is this actually a soffit, with the main structure at the higher elevation? then use the soffit tool. 

16 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Curious what the actual structure of the home is. Is this actually a soffit, with the main structure at the higher elevation? then use the soffit tool.  

I did open the plan and I whole-hardheartedly agree with Rene ( I tried making the invisible wall a railing wall, which sometimes works but not in this case).

DJP

3 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I used a soffit. The crown molding generated on its own, then disappeared, so I just made a room molding polyline...which would also be needed to do the crown molding returns on the lower ceiling level.

image.thumb.png.1972b4a56803f4d03e79d83ff2d83aa5.png

13 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I did open the plan and I whole-hardheartedly agree with Rene ( I tried making the invisible wall a railing wall, which sometimes works but not in this case).

DJP

He could also just delete the invisible wall and it will right itself, then draw a room divider. Still needs to manually place the crown as Rob said

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

also make sure your room divider wall is not checked as invisible

Perry -  thanks for the reply.  When I untick "invisible", I get the attached.  I'm wondering if I can do this with one large doorway with no casings or jamb.  Or would this cause other issues?

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Renee - I did use an invisible wall.  The entire downstairs has 9' ceilings with only the great room at 10'.  There is no soffit in the kitchen.  I couldn't tell you how the place is framed as I haven't been on the second floor yet.  I was just trying to get an illustration together for the kitchen.  I don't follow when you say "just delete the invisible wall and it will right itself".  This was initially drawn as a room divider.  Thanks for the input.  Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

Edited by kwhitt
Forgot attachment

6 hours ago, kwhitt said:

01.jpg

02.jpg

In camera view...open your layerset...turn on "Invisible Walls".  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Steve.  That's getting me much closer.  I still have a small part missing.  Any ideas?  Thanks again, Kevin

chip02.gif

Not sure I'm fixing exactly what how you want the plan to look...but see the comments on my pic below.

I replaced the invisible wall you used to create the opening...I used a "doorway".  No jamb/casing.  Raised it up just taller than the 9' ceiling.  The floor just hanging in mid-air seemed weird to me...so, the doorway creates a "header"...which I'd think you would want.  Maybe this drawing is of an "AS-Built" condition...if so, I'd have to give this some thought.  I think either the invisible wall or the stair railing wall was causing the 4" gap in the drywall on the floor assembly...but, I'm not really sure.

2020-02-14_20-06-19.thumb.png.b6f9ce8b58855fc8344a4a554e355e05.png

Upon further review...just delete the invisible wall you have between the corner and the wall along the stair.  You don't even need a doorway.  

Also...in camera view...turn on "invisible walls".

This will fix things for the most part.  Still cannot figure out why the crown in the living area does not seem to work properly.  Just use a molding polyline for the crown. 

2020-02-14_20-37-13.thumb.png.812df6e677f31d4508039b8278b7140f.png

14 hours ago, SNestor said:

Upon further review...just delete the invisible wall you have between the corner and the wall along the stair.  You don't even need a doorway.  

Also...in camera view...turn on "invisible walls".

This will fix things for the most part.  Still cannot figure out why the crown in the living area does not seem to work properly.  Just use a molding polyline for the crown. 

2020-02-14_20-37-13.thumb.png.812df6e677f31d4508039b8278b7140f.png

Thanks Steve.  If I remove the invisible wall, how do I differentiate the ceiling heights?  The kitchen area is 9' and the great room is 10'.  You are correct, there is a single header member that surround the cut-out for the stairs.

I just had this exact same situation and it happened to me as well. It was an as-built so the 2d was the only thing important but I did have to prep for an interiors set.  I handled the upper walls by drawing an attic wall which filled in the ceiling portion and it built it correctly with the crown molding.  The lower portion showed the subfloor instead of a "Riser" type material of some sort so I set a custom backsplash.  I still have plans to go back and see if I can figure out why it doesn't seem to be working but had to finish the plan for the Interior designer as it was a crunch situation.

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Steve.  If I remove the invisible wall, how do I differentiate the ceiling heights?  The kitchen area is 9' and the great room is 10'.  You are correct, there is a single header member that surround the cut-out for the stairs.

You are correct about the room separation...I kind of forgot about that because when I deleted the invisible wall in your plan the 9' ceiling did not change.  Although when you click in the room there is a warning that things can't be changed because floors are at various heights.

I'd just use a doorway.  Draw the wall alongside the stair all the way to the rear wall of the great room.  Then add a doorway...no jamb/casing...and set the height to just above the finished ceiling.  It isn't perfect...but, at least it'll give you the header.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

I just had this exact same situation and it happened to me as well. It was an as-built so the 2d was the only thing important but I did have to prep for an interiors set.  I handled the upper walls by drawing an attic wall which filled in the ceiling portion and it built it correctly with the crown molding.  The lower portion showed the subfloor instead of a "Riser" type material of some sort so I set a custom backsplash.  I still have plans to go back and see if I can figure out why it doesn't seem to be working but had to finish the plan for the Interior designer as it was a crunch situation.

Thanks Ryan.  I did put a second floor on the building as I thought this might correct things - no luck...  I think Steve's solution is the best for now.

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

You are correct about the room separation...I kind of forgot about that because when I deleted the invisible wall in your plan the 9' ceiling did not change.  Although when you click in the room there is a warning that things can't be changed because floors are at various heights.

I'd just use a doorway.  Draw the wall alongside the stair all the way to the rear wall of the great room.  Then add a doorway...no jamb/casing...and set the height to just above the finished ceiling.  It isn't perfect...but, at least it'll give you the header.

Thanks Steve.  I think your solution is the best I can do for now.  I appreciate the help.  Kevin

2 hours ago, solver said:

I hope you are sending to Chief for review.

Like Rob above, I'd just use a soffit. 

Something strange with the moldings too.

Thank you Eric.  Now that I know it's not user error, I will report to CA.

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Steve - do you happen to have the file with your corrections?  I am trying as you suggest and I get what's shown in the image below.  The file is now too large to upload.  Thanks!

Untitled 2.jpg

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

Using a solid wall with a doorway and separate base & crown molding lines for both rooms.

CA Moldings.JPG

Alan - thanks for looking at this.  Would you mind uploading your corrected .plan file?  I'm not getting the same result no matter what.  That said, my file has gotten a lot more complicated as I completed the kitchen layout.  Kevin

8 hours ago, ACADuser said:

No problem [X12]

BTW I added a hidden wall to separate the hallway so the molding lines I added would not run wild.

I added base molding separate from the crown molding line as the doorways were a problem.

See 2 molding layers.

CHF_Fabrizio_Kitchen_02-14-20.zip

Alan...your plan fix is experiencing the same issue as my plan fix.  It looks right from the living room side...but, the stair side has a hole in the wall.  

This only occurs when you pull the stair into the doorway.  @kwhitt...what version is this plan drawn in?  Is it X12? 

When I place a new stair in the plan...and break it so I can wrap it around the wall (a new feature in X12) the stair does not behave like it should.

2020-02-16_23-57-07.thumb.png.8367f2dd064f631795d7a2ae50c3ed0b.png 

5 hours ago, SNestor said:

Alan...your plan fix is experiencing the same issue as my plan fix.  It looks right from the living room side...but, the stair side has a hole in the wall.  

This only occurs when you pull the stair into the doorway.  @kwhitt...what version is this plan drawn in?  Is it X12? 

When I place a new stair in the plan...and break it so I can wrap it around the wall (a new feature in X12) the stair does not behave like it should.

2020-02-16_23-57-07.thumb.png.8367f2dd064f631795d7a2ae50c3ed0b.png 

Thanks Steve.  I think you've hit on the problem.  I am using X12 with the stair break tool.  I will report this to Chief.  Also, the stairs when drawn did not automatically open the 2nd floor platform.  I had to create a well from the 2nd floor using "open below".