Custom Stair Railings And Newel Posts

ESINGER7

• I also needed a volute the other day and found one on this forum. I will attempt to attach it here for your convenience.

Also, I made an architectural block of a complete set-up that I used of a volute, newel post, railing and balusters.  I will attempt to attach it here, too. Of course you can explode the block and change components as you like. (I slightly enlarged the width of the volute symbol that I had found on the forum; newel post  is from the Arcways catalog;, handrail  to match the volute, also from Archways, was enlarged too, I think to 2 7/8" wide, and painstakingly adjusted to best align with both the up-sweep arm of the volute and the angle of the stairs; and Arcways balusters*, both around the newel post and the next two treads! If  you don't like those balusters you could explode the arch. block and just "replace from library". This was sized for 10" treads with a 7 3/4" riser height. Hope this helps.

Phyllis

volute.calibz

Volute with newel, rail, and balusters.calibz

Thanks, I do use a symbol volute that I downloaded a while back. I was wondering if Chief has or could have an option in the stair dialog. I think this post should have been posted on the wish list.

OK, i think the volute is possibly  done by curving edges of small landings attached some how to the stair system, since landings r editable like cad p lines

some times i combine normal railings with <follow stairs>  option to play on railings like for example handrails not crossing on top of the balusters and newels and a lot other fancy railings...... including spiral stairs

OK, i think the volute is possibly  done by curving edges of small landings attached some how to the stair system, since landings r editable like cad p lines

some times i combine normal railings with <follow stairs>  option to play on railings like for example handrails not crossing on top of the balusters and newels and a lot other fancy railings...... including spiral stairs

You pretty much have it right.

Are you talking about the "starter step" with the rounded end that the volute rail goes above?  Chief has a "starter step" tool that will curve that first tread for you! I'm not sure in which version it became available. Perhaps it is only available in the later versions? (If you click on a stair, you will  see an icon in the lower task bar  that shows a little stair with curved starter treads if it is available in your version.) Or am I misunderstanding your meaning?

Phyllis

Nice stair, Tommy1. Do you have a special way you do this? Could you post the method for all of us? I don't see a newel post support under your volute--did you just forget it or is that how they build 'em down there in Texas? We always have newel posts under the center of the volute around my area.

I notice that you have the bottom blocks of your balusters cut to the rake of the stair. I prefer the traditional look of having the bottom blocks and turnings be parallel to the treads and the upper blocks/turnings follow the rake of the railing. Do you have a way to achieve that look with your method? 

That traditional look (bottom blocks parallel, upper blocks angled) is a trickier look to achieve, since all stairs have slightly different tread and riser heights. You need the right combination of baluster lengths available (they used to be turned to custom sizes for each stair back in the old days. That is one reason why "pin tops" are more commonly used now a days!) Unfortunately, in our library we only have one height for each type of baluster and if we try to manually stretch or shrink them, the turnings also change height slightly (in real life the turnings for each style are the same height, regardless of baluster length.) It would be nice if Arcways could provide different height balusters for each style in their CAD catalog, just like in their "real life" catalog--but then maybe I am being too "picky". Maybe I should post this on the suggestions forum, too.

I did a lot of research into balusters and stairs, etc. when I redid my own stairs a few years ago. (We removed the hideous porch railing that the builder had used for both the open-stair railing and guard rail along the stairwell . It was "paint grade", too, but the builder stained it---finger joints, rough edges and all! What a cheapskate!)  I learned a lot more about stairs and railing systems  on the internet than I ever learned in architecture school! I even found the actual stair parts much cheaper on the internet : the volute, newel post, railing, and "premium  balusters" (1/34", square tops with flutes) were less than half the price of what all the local stair part suppliers were charging!  Just an fyi....

I will attach a pdf file that shows the different ways  of aligning with the square top balusters so you can see what I am talking about, if anyone is interested  (I just did a quick google search to find something to post here--I think this came of a site called MRstairs or something like that!)

Hope this helps someone.

6StepsToSelection.pdf

I do my volutes like this. If interested in how I do it, email me. I believe I have a plan file that doubles as a tutorial on how I do them. I also have a symbol of a volute in the plan that you can down load.

attachicon.gifVolute.jpg

Wow- do you two mean that you actually create the volute handrail out of a "landing"????Sounds pretty amazing. I'd love to hear how you do it!

Thanks,

Phyllis

Wow- do you two mean that you actually create the volute handrail out of a "landing"????Sounds pretty amazing. I'd love to hear how you do it!

Thanks,

Phyllis

Phyllis, I'm working on a new tutorial plan for doing volutes. If you send me an email at my email address below, I'll sent it to you to look at and you can tell me what you think. It will be basic. You could alter anything to make it look closer to what you actually do.