STORY POLE DIMS

winterdd

As Eric said, Search "Story Pole" and you'll find some answers pretty quickly.  For example, from the Help Files...

"Specify the position of the Grade Level Marker measured Relative to 1st Floor Subfloor. This value determines the height at which Grade Level is marked by dimension line Elevation Markers, but is not tied to the location of the terrain.

• If this value is greater than or less than 0 and Grade Level is a Mark to Include, it will be located at this distance above or below the Default 1st Floor Subfloor. See Floor 1 Default Height.

• When this value is 0, Grade Level is marked at the same elevation as the Default 1st Floor Subfloor.

• There is only one Grade Level Marker height in each plan, and it is a dynamic setting. If it is modified in one defaults dialog, its value will change automatically in the other two defaults dialogs and any dimensions with Elevation Markers in the plan will update as well.

Note: The Grade Level setting and the terrain in the plan are completely independent of one another. See Terrain.

Select the desired Elevation Reference, which is the elevation mark that all other marks’ elevations are measured relative to.

• Select Grade Level Marker to specify the elevation of the Grade Level Marker as 0 and measure all other marks relative to it.

• Select 1st Floor Subfloor to specify the elevation of the Default 1st Floor Subfloor as 0 and measure all other marks relative to it.

And search Story Pole here in the forum and you'll pretty quickly find posts like this one from Mick along with many others...

kind of unprofessional reply ya think michael? if i gave that response i would have got negative rep. i never claimed to be an expert CA expert yet. everything i HAVE figured out from myself or help on the forum goes down the drain when something challenges me and i don't get it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

How's this...

1.  Open your Dimension Defaults.  Any one of them will do. 

2.  Click on the Locate Elevations tab.

3.  Enter your desired Grade Level Marker height

4.  Set your desired Elevation Reference

and now i understand and see where there was more scrolling to do to see kbird's post. thanks for the tip anyhow

Rob,
I think you might've originally gotten confused by Perry's comment about the Terrain Dbx...  I'm sure he meant well, but as you now know it's not there.

Another thing, unless you need/want that inner row of dimensions (note you have two rows of dimensions) on the story pole, you can uncheck the box for it.

Story Pole.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

Rob,
I think you might've originally gotten confused by Perry's comment about the Terrain Dbx...  I'm sure he meant well, but as you now know it's not there.

Another thing, unless you need/want that inner row of dimensions (note you have two rows of dimensions) on the story pole, you can uncheck the box for it.

Story Pole.JPG

omg, someone understands me thanks!

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

Mick posted almost the identical screenshot that I did...

Mick.thumb.png.22526afe43febb0690cae013e774a51a.png

and that's what i meant by not scrolling down far enough when i thought i hit the end. i am still yet to see your screenshot. it doesnt matter now, it makes sense and i appreciate the help no matter how it comes.

6 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

it doesnt matter now, it makes sense and i appreciate the help no matter how it comes.

It really does matter though.  Sorry man, you might feel like I'm being unprofessional, but it is utterly exhausting having to repeat the same instructions over and over and over again for people every single time the subject comes up again when the information is all out there and fully accessible.  And the problem is becoming more pervasive than ever.  I seriously want to just stop helping sometimes because it seems like people are trying less and less and needing the instructions customized for each and every situation.  And by the way, click on that link in my post and it takes you directly to Mick's post just like I said...

Link.thumb.png.5d8a09afdf8113d189ef54834be0ce76.png

alaskan, i have said many times on here as well that the forum is a last resort for me. i am self taught and have got to where i am comfortable with the program and my end results are really nice plans. i am still learning about all the settings. you probably should know i have a wine buzz right now too. your lucky my words are even spelled right lol.

Just now, solver said:

Before posting my suggestion to search, I searched, found the instructions from Mick, went to Chief and followed them to make sure they worked. 

I figured you could do the same.

Did you?

If you did, what went wrong? I'm only asking to try to help you get better at helping yourself.

solver, like i said above, you guys have no clue on how me or anyone else do help ourselves. i go to the CA website directly and type keywords into the search box. if i am unsuccessful, i come here. sometimes it still isn't clear. when i get a hit on something and it tells me what to do but doesn't tell me where the setting is located it's really of no help to me.

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Did you search the forum?

Did you find the instructions from Mick?

If so, what was the problem, if no, why not?

Again, not trying to belittle you or anything negative ...

i searched the forum from the home page and sifted through them and did not see anything from mick. i am not a first name basis with anyone on here, i go back screen names so half the time i have no clue who so and so even is. i happen to notice alaskan's name on his sig is michael and thats it.

16 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Rob,

Story Pole.JPG

It's not??    look at this terrain DBX in X11

terrain dbx.png

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

It's not??    look at this terrain DBX in X11

That setting changes the terrain height in relation to the subfloor, (which he had apparently done), but it doesn't change how the story pole dimension shows grade.   It seems to me that it should... but for some reason it doesn't work that way.  This is what was confounding the OP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

That setting changes the terrain height in relation to the subfloor, (which he had apparently done), but it doesn't change how the story pole dimension shows grade.   It seems to me that it should... but for some reason it doesn't work that way.

I think it was set up to work that way to give us options.  A couple quick examples:

-  Say you imported all your elevation data for a house in the mountains using sea level datum.  You don’t want to have to change all the elevation data just to get your Story Pole working correctly.  

-  Say your building department decides that they want to see heights referenced from flood plane but you originally drew it up as heights from grade.  

There are a lot more reasons, but those basic examples should get the point across.  In addition, don’t forget the complexities involved when drawing a complicated sloped or hilly lot.  You don’t want to have to perfectly position your terrain zero height just to get your desired story pole results.  That would be a nightmare.  

• Upvote 1