Pole shed reno to living space 2 of 4, Interior walls intersection

Renaud

Hi everyone

I am working on a plan of an existing shed pole structure,that is attached to an existing pole structure arena, that is to be renovated to living space.  As a pole structure, the shed has 6X6 rough cut poles 10' OC structurally length wise , and spaced 12', 10' & 12' width wise.  The overall shed size is 34' X 160', Part of this is an insulated and heated horse stall & tack area, 60'X34', a warming area 40'X34' , and an unheated shed area 60'X34'.  It is mostly the warming area that will be converted to living space, with another 10'X10' of the open shed to be used as a utility room.  As a pole structure, it has no foundation.  The poles also serve as piles, planted a min 5' into compacted fill.  

In a previous thread(1 of 4) I explained how the floor will be replaced with a modern structure.  In this thread, I want to talk about the interior walls.  The existing roof will be retained, with the 2X8 rafters and ceiling beams, supported on the existing posts.  Walls will follow the roof pitch.  There will be a vaulted shed ceiling throughout.

When the proposed interior walls intersect the existing arena walls, I have an artifact at the intersection that looks like a single stud extending up to the original arena wall height.  This is not true for the exterior shed walls that intersect the arena walls. The shed roof intersects 16' tall arena wall at 14'.  This allows a row of 2' tall windows into the arena for natural lighting.  I need some help in removing those artifacts.

Thank you

Renaud Bonneville, P.Eng.

• Part time user
  • CAP X11 BUILD 21.3.1.1x64
  • Computer Laptop MSI GS60 6QE, 32 Gb ram, Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.6 GHz, quad core, NVIDIA GeForce GTX970M 
  • Windows 10 Home, build 10.0.18362

rbonneville@shaw.ca

ph 403-874-7035 text only please

Shed 18 Renovation Rooms.plan

Shed 18 Renovation Rooms.plan

2 hours ago, Renaud said:

rbonneville@shaw.ca

There are a few problems with this model. I would encourage you set floor defaults for your conditioned spaces, and let the barn and stables be the rooms to not follow defaults. Take a look at a template plan for reference, you have floor structure elements in floor surface designations and different size floor framing than your default structure. You should be balloon framing the  barn with the occasional interior lower wall type with abutting roof. Something in your wall type is creating an artifact above your lower shed roof. 

I would typically try and help guide you through, but a few too many problems for Pro bono work, forgive me :)

Study the videos and study template plans etc. Also think about how you would actually build this structure, Chief is more than capable of producing an accurate pole barn

Thank you Rene.  Yes, there's a lot going on that's unusual.  I followed article KB-01069 on how to create the pole barn structure, but then on the shed side, elements are atypical.  I did put some floor structural elements on the finishing side, because that's what let me lay down what's actually there. I haven't found a way to lay flat sill plates on the structural side, then planking over that. That part is not critical at any rate.  As for defaults, I have been changing them regularly to meet the next task at hand, particularly the walls.

The floor has been aggravating as I can;t find a way to frame it automatically, but I can live with that.  With regard to the walls, I'm not sure  what you intend with the balloon framing.  My understanding is those wall types are used when you want to build upward past an existing ceiling.  In this case the ceiling follows the bottom of the rafter surface, and there's no point in going further.

I know its not pretty, but i'll get there eventually.

Hi Rene,

I'll have to add that ledger board on the arena wall for the shed rafters.  Forgot that one.

There is no foundation as per your detail.  The existing out side walls use an interior pole and girt structure, with the poles set 5' in the ground.  If I would have put outer footings in as foundation, that probably would have made life easier.  Then I could have just turned the display of them off.   I have added some PWF stem walls in the interior as support for the new floor.  They are in the foundations layer.  Interestingly, I can't seem to add interior walls on the wood floor above these.  If I do, the walls below are deleted, or vice versa.  A little quirky I think.

Thank you kindly again for taking the time to respond.  If I could impose a wee bit more on your time, here's a few more quirks to ponder, with the revised plan attached. (still not rafter ledger on this one)

The adjoining arena wall to the apartment space is multi layered.  It adds up to 9 5/8" thick, with a final layer of drywall on the apartment side.  These appear correct in plan view.  In 3D views, using the full camera perspective, the drywall layer appears to be embedded in the center of the wall at about the middle of the posts.  Its almost like the air gaps due to the girts and 1/2" less insulation are missing.  I turned the posts off to see just the dry wall, but in 3D views there is a resulting gap between the arena wall and intersecting interior walls.  Not ideal to be sure.

The ceiling surface, which is drywall, does not show up in any 3D views.  The display is set to on, and each room specification detail shows the correct finish.

Your tips are gratefully appreciated.

Renaud

Shed_20b_Kitchen_and_bath_Layer_Set.plan