Copy and Paste in Place X12

payettedesigns

13 minutes ago, payettedesigns said:

Please tell me why Chief Architect has decided not to put  " Copy Paste In Place" In the right click menu? x12

It was causing too many users too many problems.  People were inadvertently clicking on it and creating multiple copies of all sorts of objects not realizing what was happening and ending up with problems because of it. 

You can get nearly the same results by using the normal copy tool and just dragging a new copy using the Move handle.  In addition, you can simply followup the Copy/Paste with any one of the sub-menu items (Paste Hold Position tool, Point To Point, or Reflect About), or you can still use the Copy/Paste In Place tool (with a hotkey,by adding it to your toolbars, or via the Edit menu).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It was causing too many users too many problems.

That copy-in-place tool was really loved by some, wasn't it? And today seeing this come up again, and the reasoning for that choice just made me chuckle (read: groan and cry).

What else causes too many user problems and should be gotten rid of? Perhaps we should make a list...terrain, roofs, rooms, framing....I could go on!

Image result for facepalm emoji small

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes I loved it but there were times when I would leave a window on top of a window ect so making  you go an extra step might be helpful. I just do not want Chief to change things based on low level users. I consider Chief  Architect to be an increasingly Professional Software . We use Revit as well but Chief is Streamlined for the Residential Market. Over the past six years Chief Architect has brought almost a million dollars into my business and for that I will be forever  blessed. I have little to show for that success because I like toys but hey life is short.

Cheers.

17 minutes ago, robdyck said:

That copy-in-place tool was really loved by some, wasn't it? And today seeing this come up again, and the reasoning for that choice just made me chuckle (read: groan and cry).

What else causes too many user problems and should be gotten rid of? Perhaps we should make a list...terrain, roofs, rooms, framing....I could go on!

Image result for facepalm emoji small

I don't disagree.  I've nearly reached my wits end with Chief because of this general approach at different times and with a few different tools and functions. 

I think the problem is that the under educated and/or less proficient masses are just a lot louder, more destructive, and more numerous than those of us who know what we are doing with the tools and make full use of them.  At the same time, I think we’re also those most capable of adapting so we tend not to be too loud after changes have been implemented either.  Then, when negative changes have been implemented, of course the majority aren’t going to complain because they never knew any better in the first place.

But...has the "revamped" tool really making anything more difficult in Chief...or, is it just different and we all have to get used to it?

Maybe the next tool from Chief will be something that reads our minds and builds the roof we want automatically?  Oh...that would be some kind of tool! ;)

11 minutes ago, SNestor said:

But...has the "revamped" tool really making anything more difficult in Chief...or, is it just different and we all have to get used to it?

More difficult.  Only in some situations though and honeslty the change doesn't really bother me very much.  This particular change isn't as a big a deal as some of the others they've made though using the same logic. 

I am in the camp where I LOVE copy/paste in place.    It is one of the reasons I have not gone to X12 since I have a programmed keypad with a hotkey just for that function.

It is pretty amazing that I have NEVER encountered the problem of 'accidentally' using this function.   If I ever forgot to drag the new object (got distracted in a moment) it is quite apparent in 3d since it messes up the trim and wont display right.

What else do we need help 'protecting' ourselves from.   Sometimes, I accidentally delete something.....maybe do away with delete ;)

I know some guys run with no 'undo' cache to speed up drawing,....not me :D

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This is a non-issue.  The tool is still there.  It's just not in the edit/contextual menu.

Ahhh thanks!

I have been so busy, I dont want to go through the set up ;)

I just only now did X11 a month ago since I had a slight lull.  :D

30 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This is a non-issue.  The tool is still there.  It's just not in the edit/contextual menu.

I don't use the right click menu to copy items and the tool is still on my menu bar and it is without a doubt the most used short cut key I use 'Q' in my case because it comes to left hand so easily. I was never confused by it, never got copies I didn't understand, never had a problem but perhaps others did? I think though like Michael stated it's not really an issue but forcing a change in one's workflow can be an issue and a real pain.

Sorry, re-read the OP and see it's an issue with the right click menu....I use it from the tool bar, again with a short cut key..

44 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

I am in the camp where I LOVE copy/paste in place.    It is one of the reasons I have not gone to X12 since I have a programmed keypad with a hotkey just for that function.

The function has not been removed, only removed from the right click context menu, the Hot key works exactly as it did in X11.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

it's not really an issue but forcing a change in one's workflow can be an issue and a real pain.

This is me. I'm not a 24/7 Chief user. Probably average 10 hours/week on the software including weekends. Too many other chores/jobs/hats/duties. It takes me nearly all year to get comfortable with a new version, then it changes. For that reason I have skipped upgrades before. It IS a pain to change when you just don't use the program that much.

That said, all the good new features make learning the changes worth it. :D

Copy and paste in place is very helpful. It's easy enough to learn the new method, but still, it was a surprise to see that taken off of the toolbar. 

Not to digress, ....One thing I miss is the layout page tool, where you could insert a new blank page. Now you either toggle up or toggle down for a new page insert. 

Hi Eric,

Please see the comparison. The insert page tool is no longer available in X 12.  You have to insert "page before" or "page after". Then after the page jumps, you have to go back to the newly created blank page. Not a big deal, but that's what's missing...   

Snip20200211_44.pngSnip20200211_43.thumb.png.3f1a35e7a41924f1e9f90c0bcfd19f1c.png

Hi Eric, So yes, you're absolutely correct. BTW... no arguing whatsoever. ") 

The are indeed insert page up and page down commands in X-12. For either placing a new blank page before or after. But in X11 the one arrow was all you needed to tap, and presto, the blank new appeared. In X-12 however, the page gets inserted, but then you have toggle back down or up to get to the new blank. Again, not a big deal, but the single insert tool to spawn a new page was handier since it involved one step, not two. 

6 hours ago, payettedesigns said:

I love X12 lots of great things like the point to point. 

The visual indicators are great, but I find that the point B has more trouble finding my intended destination when I hover over 2 points in order to get the connected end result. It doesn't hold those axis lines as well. It's like it's really windy inside Chief. Anyone else notice this?

18 minutes ago, robdyck said:

The visual indicators are great, but I find that the point B has more trouble finding my intended destination when I hover over 2 points in order to get the connected end result. It doesn't hold those axis lines as well. It's like it's really windy inside Chief. Anyone else notice this?

So far for me...it's not behaved as you describe.  Maybe because I'm on a Mac?  

6 hours ago, SNestor said:

I absolutely hated it at first, took awhile to manually add the original tool back in but I never seem to use it.