Material Painter Help Please

blueriver

16 hours ago, blueriver said:

Can I change all my outside trim color at once without changing the inside trim also?  And vise versa.  When I choose floor or plan mode it also changes the inside trim color. 

I made a video about this some time ago...here it is.  Hope it helps.  

12 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Good info Steve, Thanks.
I'm wondering... does the new Style Palettes change anything to the approach you explained here in your video?

I don't believe so...but the Style Pallet tool is new so I'm just now digging into it.

That said, the main idea behind choosing different colors/materials for different objects is that if you have "plan" as the scope for applying a color/material to what you think is a component...you don't actually change every item in your plan that is "tied" to that exact same material.  I've done this a million times myself before I decided to change my template defaults.  

Hope that helps. 

4 hours ago, SNestor said:

That said, the main idea behind choosing different colors/materials for different objects is that if you have "plan" as the scope for applying a color/material to what you think is a component...you don't actually change every item in your plan that is "tied" to that exact same material.  I've done this a million times myself before I decided to change my template defaults.

Thanks, yes I totally understood the idea in so far as the ability to change colors without changing everything of the same color goes.   To be sure I completely follow though... you only have to have one specially named color assignment for each object part, you don't have to go through that process for every color you want to use right?  So even if say I have colors named White_ext window sash and White_window ext casing and I change both to Grass Green, they'll still be able to be changed independently?

55 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Thanks, yes I totally understood the idea in so far as the ability to change colors without changing everything of the same color goes.   To be sure I completely follow though... you only have to have one specially named color assignment for each object part, you don't have to go through that process for every color you want to use right?  So even if say I have colors named White_ext window sash and White_window ext casing and I change both to Grass Green, they'll still be able to be changed independently?

You can change both to green grass...but not at the same time since they are each unique materials.  However, once you change both to Grass Green...both now have the same material...and if you change one, you change the other.  

I started doing this because in a standard Chief Template...they name almost every material "Color - Brite".  Everything is this color...the interior trim, the cabinets, the stair balusters, window trim, window sash, interior doors, casing.  Also exterior materials are named the same...like the fascia, exterior trim etc.  So...I'd be looking at the exterior of a house...and think, I'd like the trim to be brown (or some other color).  I'd grab the paint can and select the color...and spray the trim.  Well...if you have "P" selected in the scoping tool (bottom left corner of screen)...you now paint every item inside the house with the same brown paint.  You may not realize this until a bit later...and wonder how it happened.  

This happened to me one too many times so I started assigning unique materials to all these items...I just copied the color - white...and renamed it to something specific like "Color - White: Cabinets".  Keeps me from painting things I don't want painted.  

Hope this long winded answer helps.  :)