Second story deck

capitaldesigns

I am working on plans for a fire reconstruction project. The house was second story deck.

I used the drew the deck using CA default settings. I need to change several things on the

deck as CA drew it. I tried to manually make these changes, but nothing seams to have changed.

I need to make the following changes:

1.  P.W. decking w/Dex-O-Tex  instead of 2x decking.

2.  2x10 F.J. instead of 2x8 F.J.

3.  Stucco on the bottom of the deck.

4.  Lower the deck joists so they sit on top of the double
     plates of the house wall.

Thank You,

Mike

Tomlinson_New_2-10-2020.plan

I was able to add the stucco on the underside of the deck.

I had already changed the floor joist size from 2x8 to 2x10.

In the section view it still shows the floor joists as being 2x8.

Also in that same Plank/Joists tab I had changed the 2x decking

to 5/8" P.W. It still shows 2x decking in all views.

2 hours ago, capitaldesigns said:

I was able to add the stucco on the underside of the deck.

I had already changed the floor joist size from 2x8 to 2x10.

In the section view it still shows the floor joists as being 2x8.

Also in that same Plank/Joists tab I had changed the 2x decking

to 5/8" P.W. It still shows 2x decking in all views.

I'd do a number of things.  

1 - Change the deck room to a "BALCONY".  Like @DRAWZILLA said above...it gives you a lot of control over the design of the floor system. 

2- I'd put a room under the "deck/balcony".  I'd copy the deck railing walls...and then move down a floor and "paste and hold position".  Uncheck "railing" in the wall specification dialog.  Also...make sure you get room definition.  Then...open this room dialog and specify a stucco ceiling...in the pics I posted I make the ceiling 1.5" Beige Stucco.

3 - Regarding the Balcony floor system...the structure should be the 9.25" joists and the plywood decking.  And make the floor finish however...I just used a brown fiber

material and made it 1/8" thick.  

4 - I changed the railing wall type also.  I made a copy of the stucco-4 wall, called it "stucco-4 @ deck railing".  The only change was I removed the wall sheathing and the interior drywall.  See the picture below.

5 - Also, open the balcony room dialog (2nd floor) and adjust the floor elevation so that the bottom of the 2x10 joists sit on top of the wall.  I think you will need to drop the floor elevation about 2.25" or so...you may have to play with this to get it exact.  

2020-02-10_20-25-14.thumb.png.3a39df615877597d5e28fd6ae8154990.png2020-02-10_20-25-02.thumb.png.bf4ea7f9f8c9f592fdbaf51da19c8a03.png2020-02-10_20-32-19.thumb.png.e38039b6a5b3c7505170cb2a2edd39af.png2020-02-10_20-33-37.thumb.png.467eee91439c4ed852b5b9e9138062dd.png

Thank you for your help. I am still having a problem. I tried doing your suggestion by coping the deck railing and pasting it to the first floor.

I then gave it the room definition of Porch. That didn't work well. I also dried defining it as a slab. Again that did not work well. I did change

the room definition from deck to balcony.

With the deck changed to balcony I was able to add the stucco to he underside of the deck by going to Room Specification, Structure, Floor Structure.

Then use the Insert Below button to add the stucco. 

I was able to lower the floor as you suggested.

The problem I am now having is the finish at the end of the balcony is missing. I tried turning on all layers that were not already on, still doesn't show.

Does anyone know why the finish at the end of the balcony is missing ?

Thank You,

Mike 

Tomlinson.zip

48 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

Thank you for your help. I am still having a problem. I tried doing your suggestion by coping the deck railing and pasting it to the first floor.

I then gave it the room definition of Porch. That didn't work well. I also dried defining it as a slab. Again that did not work well. I did change

the room definition from deck to balcony.

With the deck changed to balcony I was able to add the stucco to he underside of the deck by going to Room Specification, Structure, Floor Structure.

Then use the Insert Below button to add the stucco. 

I was able to lower the floor as you suggested.

The problem I am now having is the finish at the end of the balcony is missing. I tried turning on all layers that were not already on, still doesn't show.

Does anyone know why the finish at the end of the balcony is missing ?

Thank You,

Mike 

Tomlinson.zip

yes...look at the wall definition in my post.  Change the definition of your railing wall to match.  

also...create a room below the “balcony”...just make sure you have room definition.  This room can be undefined.  Just change the the ceiling material to stucco. The ceiling is the underside of the balcony above.