I've been saying this for years...

rockyshepheard

You cannot stop CA wackamole.

Example: Locking ALL layers will not prevent CA wall materials from changing.

If all layers are locked you should be unable to change anything.
I always lock all layers except what I'm working on (like roofs) and still mateirials change and windows and treatments move, floors disappear, on and on.

Looking for positive feedback.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Rockney:

I have advocated for true locks for over 15 years

Locks prevent YOU from doing things - but if Chief decides it needs to make a change IT WILL

I have recommended that if a lock was on then Chief should issue a warning before making ANY change to that area

so far CA has been resistant to that concept and have even fought the concept of it

Lew

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let me try to address this as tactfully and sensitively as I can...

Once you really become proficient with the software, understand how it works, and how to use it properly, you will understand that this request is completely absurd.  It can never work like you want it to.  Almost every single operation would come with a warning...no, a whole string of warnings.  There are hundreds of settings that can easily each have an affect on one or more seemingly unrelated objects and in unrelated ways and that’s just how the program works.  A “true lock” would do nothing but completely stop most operations from ever taking place or send you through a never ending barrage of warnings that would force you to turn the stupid feature off.   If you need to move a wall though, you have no choice but moving the wall and investing the time and effort in learning how the program works.  Or do you REALLY want this string of warnings every time you do something as simple as move a wall...

-Warning:  moving this wall will move attached cabinets which are locked.

-Warning:  moving this wall will move contained windows which are locked.

-Warning:  moving this wall will move contained doors which are locked.

-Warning:  moving this wall will cause portion of wall to extend higher than adjacent roof/ceiling plane(s)
-Warning:  moving this wall will cause portion of wall to drop down to accommodate adjacent roof/ceiling planes.

-Warning:  moving this wall will affect connections with other walls on locked layers.

-Warning:  moving this wall will affect lengths of walls on locked layers.

-Warning:  moving this wall will cause hole between wall and adjacent deck framing.

-Warning:  moving his wall will age t framing of adjacent deck which is on locked layer.

-Warning:  moving this wall will affect framing that is on a locked layer

-Warning:  moving this wall will affect auto roofs which in turn will affect tons of other $#!+ that will be affected by that modified roof...  

There’s a good reason almost nobody ever suggests or supports this idea.  It’s just too fundamentally flawed.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I thoroughly agree with "Michael" above in that "Software" is not and never will be any kind of "Causative Factor". The end user is at "CAUSE" or he is not based upon his knowledge or ignorance of the tool he his currently using. The results are his responsibility alone based upon his own competence or the lack thereof. Software will never be a source of "Causation" it is people who are cause and not material objects like computers and other tools.

I am aware that Chief Architect is not, never has been and probably will not be "PERFECT" but it certainly has been and will be "USEFUL" to those who wish to graphically portray to their clients and other building professionals now and in the future.

DJP

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While Chief may not be "Causative" and most issues are "User error"

there is a "ripple" effect where a change in area A "ripples" over to area B

if the user is not aware of or 1000% vigilant that "ripple" MAY cause changes that are unwanted

If I have area B done to my liking and a "ripple" effect is going to make a change

I would appreciate a "heads-up" warning

otherwise, that change MAY go unnoticed until much later 

and could be costly etc

Lew