Top five hotkey setups! Name yours and why!

GeneDavis

5 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Plus with a keypad it seems you get one function per key, whereas with hotkeys you can get a large number of functions from a limited number of keys by the ability to do combinations.  While you probably could do that with a keypad too I guess?...but if so, then why when you already have a keyboard at hand?   

For me its the fact I want to make more use of shortcuts in many applications, not just one or two.   I have around ten applications with a huge number of existing shortcuts often with 3 or 4 key presses and despite years of using the applications I find I am not using as many shortcuts as I would like because its hard to remember them all (I may not use one of these some for several months).

Hence why I am trying a standalone mini keyboard with tactile buttons and LCD images for ease of remembering.  When using Chief I find I spend a lot of time with my right hand near my 3D mouse (left hand on normal mouse/keyboard) so can use one finger to select a function with less movement than going back to the keyboard.  

1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

touchpad users. 

My brain can't remember more than 20 hotkeys..my touchpad has a graphical representation of several hundred.
I swipe right and have another full page of hotkeys from framing, swipe again and I have materials...my touchpad is infinite, and works with a host of different programs.

There is a new app on the apple app store for iPad that can produce a touchpad using chiefs icons...I just haven't found the time to program it yet.

moving the icons from the screen to another keyboard

I have a video illustrating this exact idea :

19 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

My brain can't remember more than 20 hotkeys..my touchpad has a graphical representation of several hundred.
I swipe right and have another full page of hotkeys from framing, swipe again and I have materials...my touchpad is infinite, and works with a host of different programs.

There is a new app on the apple app store for iPad that can produce a touchpad using chiefs icons...I just haven't found the time to program it yet.

I have a video illustrating this exact idea :

Do you have a pic of how you set your desk up for this type of setup.  

I currently have a pretty full desk by the time I have my standup portion of my desk for those long days when I need to get out of the chair and standup and work, with main monitor keyboard and mouse on it, right side has my second widescreen monitor and desk phone.  Left has some real estate available...  Seems like it would be tricky to get it positioned in a way to not have to really make a large effort to get to it without breaking the workflow...????  Just curious as I am considering trying out the new app store app.  Goal this year is to get more proficient with custom hot keys (and macros...).

Pretty cool Rene!... but then I can't help but wonder why you still have such a sh-load of giant icons all over your primary monitor?!?

Good spot, I offer recording work sessions as a service for training purposes. The icons are there just for an active visual representation of the tools being used. I charge more for this service as it is obviously slower to produce CD's while actively training and clicking icons. Seems to be more of a cost benefit for people than 1 on 1 live training.

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Do you have a pic of how you set your desk up for this type of setup

Minus the computer underneath, it got relocated last year to a data closet.

1012524288_MYDESK.thumb.png.767443c3a82306e6edc34be0dd4fa57a.png

Just missing a calculator, a ruler, and a cup of coffee

Just a thought...Maybe we should move this discussion of keypads to another thread as it is probably not what the OP really was pursuing and it will surely go away from the original question very quickly. I, too, use a keypad but the technology exists, as Rene shows, to greatly improve on my simple device. I suggest this should be examined and discussed in a new thread. No offense intended to those who have asked so far. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Just a thought...Maybe we should move this discussion of keypads to another thread as it is probably not what the OP really was pursuing 

I hear you, and I would usually nod, apologize, and completely agree with the sentiment of threadjacking, but I think toolbars and touchpads built for hotkeys are absolutely on point of the original thread if I were to infer the intended outcome of the thread. My response was always going to be why have a top 5 when 30 are easy to setup, especially in response to someone who uses none. Hoping this ends up being eye opening for him.

My top 5:

1) Select Contained Objects

2) Select Intersected Objects

3) Tab

4) A custom plan view selector  macro

5) An 8 button snap toggle