Angled bottom on bay windows.. how to?

john-ferguson

Depends on the situation.  For most projects I simply use a manually modeled solid.  If the structure is more important though I do similar to Scott except that I have usually used ceiling planes instead of roof planes.  Roof planes do however have the No Special Snapping setting that can be useful.  Not sure about other benefits or drawbacks of one over the other off the top though.

• Like 1

Bingo.

Draw the shape you want in a cross section, and add it to the Library as a molding.

Go back to the plan view and trace the bay with a line - convert to the new molding type, and it should be fairly close to the desired look.

You may have to adjust the vertical axis a bit, bit this is by far the fastest way to illustrate it. 

Snip20200207_11.thumb.png.8c03a4ff5f9c9853bed81a97b8c8d346.png

Excellent point. When stuff like this happens, the unwanted object can be typically placed on it's own layer, and get turned off for interior camera views. This was just a quick two step process for modeling the shapes. 

To your point, the roof option definitely has merit. ...The best answer in most case scenarios is to ask yourself how would one build this in the field, and then just use the tools to make it work.  In this case, a reverse sloped roof with no ridge caps is the winner, and it would avoid having to play hide and seek (with the bay window molding) when taking interior views. 

Thanks for pointing this out!! The OP might have wondered what was happening inside the house. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VHampton said:

In this case, a reverse sloped roof with no ridge caps is the winner, and it would avoid having to play hide and seek (with the bay window molding) when taking interior views.

Not sure if you watched my video that was posted above or not, but for what its worth, I don't actually use roof planes.  I use ceiling planes.  Similar, but not quite the same.

I just watched through the video Michael. That's a huge help for anyone new to the program. Excellent tutorial! Just noticed your YouTube Channel as well.. The folks at CA should be paying you for your service to the community!

...I haven't been on the forums for a little while. I only stop by once a year when a new release comes out. It's helpful to see what new features are available, and to keep an eye out for the typical bugs in the beta versions. That said, the new release is proving to be very stable. 

In any event, awesome job! It's folks like you who are an added benefit to what might possibly be considered the best drawing program in the industry.  

All the best, Val 

• Like 1