Some Minor Issues Creating Commercial Air Diffuser Symbols

wjmdes

I have created 2 symbols, one for air return and one for air supply in a commercial space with a grid ceiling.

• Had to create as an electrical symbol to get it to place on the ceiling, better way?
  • Any way to get it to automatically cut a hole in the ceiling?
  • Changing Origin Point:  I want the origin of this symbol to be at the corner, not center.  Changed the origin offsets, that does not do anything.
  • When I created the first symbol, it allowed me to create a new custom Schedule HVAC.  When I created the second symbol, HVAC was not an option, I tried to create a new HVAC and it says it already existed.  After I place it in the plan, it then allows me to change to the HVAC schedule. (new in X12, so not high on my priority list)

The biggest issue is the type of symbol I should use when creating and the origin point for placement. This symbol will always be placed at an intersection of the ceiling grid, so the origin needs to be at x=12and y=12 because symbols will not let me use point to point and select a corner.

24x24 comm supply-rtn.plan

13 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Study what I did.  Specifically the origin offsets and the CAD block...

I have "my" origin set just like yours, but the insert point is still centered.  I DID change this after I created the symbol, is that the issue? 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This can also be done with a normal symbol BTW by just setting the Elevation Reference to "From Ceiling".

Define normal, I am assuming you mean a "fixture"?  If I try to create as a fixture, there is not an option referencing ceiling, that is why I ended up putting it on electrical?

22 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

and the CAD block...

Not sure what you have done here??

11 minutes ago, solver said:

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/I7Bjk5yBpVc?hd=1

Thank you!!

The only issue with Michaels insertion point is my symbol is 23.75"X23.75" (got that from a cut sheet), so the origin needs to be at x=12, y=12 for it to place properly, I wonder if trying to put the "origin" outside the limits of the symbol is causing Chief to get upset.

15 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

The only issue with Michaels insertion point is my symbol is 23.75"X23.75" (got that from a cut sheet), so the origin needs to be at x=12, y=12 for it to place properly, I wonder if trying to put the "origin" outside the limits of the symbol is causing Chief to get upset.

I only quickly threw that together and didn't really study your symbol or original 2D Block.  I believe I set my modified block and the offsets according to the 23.75" dimensions though.  If your original block was a different dimension, then some or all of the modifications would need to be tweaked to suit.  It's not Chief getting upset though.

1 minute ago, solver said:

If you do use Tray Ceilings, they may be selected and copied/moved like other objects.

Good to know. 

Another thing I did learn from your video is the return does not look good in Orthographic view and I need to keep that in mind when I create symbols.  I created the border with a polyline molding and the "grid" with p-line solids and just ran them into the middle of the border.  That really shows up in that view.  I either need to stop them at the inside edge of the border or raise them 1/32" so those extra lines do not show.  They look fine in other views.

And yes, I was pleased the way they turned out. As soon as I get them tweaked, I will share on the symbols page...  FYI, the supply diffuser was from 3D warehouse and tweaked, the supply was from scratch but took a minute thanks to watching all @Alaskan_Son videos on symbols!

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I only quickly threw that together and didn't really study your symbol or original 2D Block. 

When and where are you setting the origin? I go into the library open symbol, change it and it still inserts at the center.

retnspply.thumb.JPG.7a778cea4b38a923dab99791eaa5eb14.JPG

12 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

When and where are you setting the origin? I go into the library open symbol, change it and it still inserts at the center.

retnspply.thumb.JPG.7a778cea4b38a923dab99791eaa5eb14.JPG

Like I said, study that 2D Block.  The 2D Block is the key.  If you need in depth explanation and instructions I would be happy to provide them or make you a custom video, but I can only afford to donate so much time so it would be at my standard rates.