Changing height of 1 wall in a room. Roof problem.

paccoastJeff

To change the height of only one wall in a room, is going to 3D view as it says in the documentation really the only way to do it? Select the wall and drag to resize. That isn't a horrible solution, but why doesn't the wall being resized snap to the height of an adjacent wall when you get close?  It seems difficult at best to get them aligned perfectly.  

I'm having a similar problem drawing posts with beams that serve to support trusses over an attached patio.  I am drawing them as roof beams with posts.  The posts won't snap to line up with a side of a wall I want them to align with.  I have to turn off the grid snap to get them placed precisely.  Once I have the 3.5" posts placed, the 3.5" beam being placed to rest on the posts don't snap to align with the post either.  I have to make sure snap is off and place them that way.  Is that correct, or is there something n the documentation I am missing?

Also, when I look at the roof framing view, the beams I have placed show up. When I open each beam the top height matches the height of the adjacent walls.  When I generate a roof it doesn't cover the beam area though. If I select the roof and try to drag it over the beam area, the plane of the roof continues as it was drawn and it just goes under the beams.  I assumed since the beams show up in the roof framing view, and are placed at the right height, that a generated roof should cover it?  What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, paccoastJeff said:

To change the height of only one wall in a room, is going to 3D view as it says in the documentation really the only way to do it? Select the wall and drag to resize. That isn't a horrible solution, but why doesn't the wall being resized snap to the height of an adjacent wall when you get close?  It seems difficult at best to get them aligned perfectly.  

You can also designate a wall as a solid railing and adjust its height via the "Newels and Balusters" input box as well as its wall cap if desired. You can also just adjust the walls height in an elevation camera and manually set its height using temporary dimensions but I mostly like the prior "solid railing" method.

As to your other questions, perfection is derived from within you and NOT the software used. You want something done a particular way, then make it so; it is nice when the software does it right but that is not something to count on. I utterly rely on myself and my personal intention.

DJP

36 minutes ago, paccoastJeff said:

Also, when I look at the roof framing view, the beams I have placed show up. When I open each beam the top height matches the height of the adjacent walls.  When I generate a roof it doesn't cover the beam area though. If I select the roof and try to drag it over the beam area, the plane of the roof continues as it was drawn and it just goes under the beams.  I assumed since the beams show up in the roof framing view, and are placed at the right height, that a generated roof should cover it?  What am I missing?

Roofs are designed to cover rooms.  If you are manually building a patio or deck area with posts and framing features (like with a timber-framed porch cover) you still need to designate the room for it to auto-build things.  Many ways to do this but I use either railings that are invisible if I don't need the railing or room dividers (wall type) to delineate the room.  Make sure the room has the flat ceiling turned off and in some cases you will need to delete the ceiling structure (even if you have it turned off.) and auto roof should work for that area.

• Like 1

Thanks. I hadn't thought about designating the covered patio area as a room.  I will have to try the various ways to accomplish that.  I need to get it figured out as we have a lot of plans with large covered patio's.  I will say that so far it seems as though Softplan had more "smart" object alignment.  I understand there is a new alignment tool or two in 12.  I obviously need to figure them out.

I used the function to define a room area, and when I click in the area the patio shades like a room. I open it up and designate it as a patio. I've clicked on each of the beams and the height of the beams matches the adjacent walls. When I had it generate a roof it placed the plane of the roof just under the beams.  

The plan I am modifying is one we build a lot, but we are making some small changes to the plan we already own.  We sell 10+ of this floor plan each year.  To answer your question about why one wall solver, it is a plan with a 32' wide by 12' deep covered porch.  The living area behind the patio has 11' ceilings. The patio has a 11' ceiling.  On either side of the patio there are two bedrooms that open onto the patio.  Those bedrooms have 9' ceilings, but there is a 6' wall of each of those bedrooms that forms the rear corners of the patio. That 6' wall is where a glulam gets attached at each side that is 6' long, and then there is a 33' glulam running the other way.  

I'll attach a screen shot of the area.  It's probably easier to see than explain.  That 6' wall on each side of the patio needs to be 133 1/8", the rest of the bedroom walls in each of those two rooms is 109 1/8".    The two 6' walls with the exterior doors in them are the ones that need to be taller. 

rearpatioscreenshot.thumb.jpg.55d56fdffba87a1cec41b25d92852453.jpg

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Are you concerned about framing for the taller walls? I imagine they will need to be manually framed as you will be placing the beams manually.

Is the top part of that taller wall visible on the exterior or interior?

As I suggested above -- screen captures really help so we see what you see. 

And again, manually placed framing objects have no impact on the roof. 

Roofs build over rooms. Room height (and wall height) is controlled by ceiling height. Raise it to raise the roof.

I'm not sure what you mean by manually framing? That section of wall is always balloon framed.  We have built a version of this plan a lot.  This is a plan, that due to the plate height being over 10', we have engineered each time for the shear walls and such.  The taller part of the wall is only visible on the patio.  It's a plan that we build on a lot of view properties. There are transom windows above the windows in the living areas, so there is a lot of glass on the view side, which is also where the patio is.  The patio is at 11' to facilitate the size and number of windows.  Making those 2 6' walls at 11' works the best. We have looked at doing the beams other ways, but aesthetically and for framing an expansive view, it works out best for us this way.  

ON EDIT:  I just noticed I haven't placed the 4020 transom windows above the 4050 windows and the sliding glass door yet. 

1 minute ago, solver said:

ct1.thumb.png.01a2c7234c91de60d725b8d00589263a.png

Where you show a gable in that drawing is actually a hip on the plan we build, but the lower portion comes down adjacent to the tall wall, sort of like you have it drawn, and the door to get onto the patio is in that taller wall. 

It's great now.  The only way I could make that wall taller after the fact was to go to the 3D view and drag it up. The problem I had once I created a room out of the patio was the default ceiling height was for 9' plate height, not 11', and I hadn't changed it.  Once I changed that and generated a roof it was great.  

Next time I draw something similar I will define the patio as a room first, set the ceiling height, and the affected walls should adjust on their own, right?  That  makes more sense.   Thanks again.