Importing Points into a ASCII format for Total Station

10eighty

Hey guys,

Does anybody have any suggestions for importing point coordinates into a total station? Several years ago I had a program called Traverse PC in which I drew up a house outline and gave it a reference point and uploaded the info into a Nikon total station and staked out a 10,000 S.F. house.  It worked super well, but I can't seem to find the software.  So now I am looking for a simple way to put the point coordinates into an ASCII format to upload them.  I created a layer set with just my CAD (from the surveyor) site plan, and located one of the property pins as X-0 Y-0, and started putting point markers on the corners of the building envelope, but the point markers don't seem to be showing up coordinates in the control e dialog box.  I was thinking of just doing a very minimal layer set and exporting to CAD and then trying to find a way to export the point coordinate information to ASCII format to upload to the total station.  Just thought I'd run it by you guys in case anybody has done anything similar.

And I should probably add that I am not a licensed surveyor. I am building a house where the rear property pins are 30' down a steep embankment.  I want to locate my building corners accurately so I can modify and redesign my foundation plan with steps to accommodate a daylight basement.  Due to the elevation drop, we can't really stake this thing out even close to accurate. I will also add, that I have done this before and all of my 150 points were within a dime.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

And as an update, I have been successful in exporting my site plan into AutoCAD 2017.  Then placing points on my building corners. Using the "data extraction" in AutoCAD I am able to convert the point coordinates into an Xls file.  I think I will be able to re-sort the data into the ASCII format for the total station.  Stay tuned ...

I have successfully  used bearing lines and distances with a traditional transit and measuring tape from an established benchmark plotted on my site plan but do not have access to a total station as I suspect most people do not.  It is definitely not an auto function in chief but with a little study and perseverance it could likely be done.  Not familiar with ASCII formatting but you can get X and Y as well as Elevation values from Terrain Elevation Points. It may just require a little work with macro's.

This can be done completely with some relatively complex custom text macros, could be sped up with some simpler text macro, or you can also just manually enter the points one at a time into a text file in any number of ways.  The easiest is probably just to use the Temporary Point tool.  Just place a point wherever you want it.  Double click on it, and you will get the x and y locations that you can simply copy and paste.  As Chop said, you can also get x and y locations using Terrain Elevation Points. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

By the way, this can also be further automated in a number of other creative ways using various object types and schedules.  Are you actually still in X9?

Man!!!!! every time I think I'm getting good with this program I turn another corner and realize I don't know as much as I had hoped.  Macros you say lol... All I really need to do is get the coordinates of these points into a CSV file.  That being said, it wouldn't suck to have this little diagram with some labels as to which point is where. Any recommendations on which training video a guy might watch to get some basics on "semi" simple macros?

And no, I am actually using x11 currently. 

Thanks for the response MichaeCapture.thumb.JPG.6fec46c1d63b82671988a295f0361843.JPGl

Capture2.JPG

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I have successfully  used bearing lines and distances with a traditional transit and measuring tape from an established benchmark plotted on my site plan but do not have access to a total station as I suspect most people do not.  It is definitely not an auto function in chief but with a little study and perseverance it could likely be done.  Not familiar with ASCII formatting but you can get X and Y as well as Elevation values from Terrain Elevation Points. It may just require a little work with macro's.

Hey Chopsaw,  Fortunately, I have a local outfit that I can rent a total station from.  $100/day for the non-robotic, and $250/day for the robotic.  The non-robotic is the one I have used in the past but it takes two people and a bit of time. But small investment to get super accurate corner locations.  And good call on the macros

6 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I had not considered renting one but that sure would be handy in some situations. Let me see if I can figure something out for you that will work.

I might be getting somewhere????? lol.  Wonder how I get the macros to change the point number.  hmmmmm

And Chopsaw, every once and a while when you end up with those difficult not flat lots, using a total station does a remarkable job getting your exact locations.  When I did this several years ago, the foundation guy wanted 3' offsets on each corner so he could "square everything up".  So instead of shooting 50 points, it turned into 150. and at the end of the day, the "actual" corners I shot turned out so good he didn't even use the offsets.  Once you can get the coordinates in a CSV file, the place you rent the station from will upload them and you just need to shoot them.

Cheers,

Capture3.JPG

36 minutes ago, 10eighty said:

That being said, it wouldn't suck to have this little diagram with some labels as to which point is where. Any recommendations on which training video a guy might watch to get some basics on "semi" simple macros?

No.  Not really.  Every scenario is different.  I just sent you a P.M.

3 hours ago, 10eighty said:

And no, I am actually using x11 currently

In this case, the whole thing can actually be almost completely automated super easily (numbering and all) with even some built in macros.  Not going to go over every step, but you can easily use notes, a note schedule, custom object fields, x_location attribute, y_location attribute and a quick copy paste to spreadsheet.  

WARNING:  Explicative laced side rant to follow...

I don’t know who you are, but it really really &$&:#+% pisses me off when people downvote @solver, @Signatures, and other invaluable users for suggesting people provide their information (and possibly post a plan).  It’s this type of thankless and ignorant arrogance that drives a lot of us to stop sharing or at least share a lot less or with a much smaller group of users.  Some of you guys out there obviously have no clue how much these little details matter, or how frustrating and utterly exhausting it gets having to repeat the same &*#% instruction over and over again because people are too lazy to invest a little effort themselves or because some less proficient and less helpful user thinks the details don’t matter.  I promise you, the details matter.  They really do.  The last thing I want to do is spend 15-20 minutes of my valuable time explaining a method that won’t even work for the user.  This is a prime example.  The best solution we have in X11 was entirely impossible in X9, and even some of the old less effective solutions are entirely impossible in the highest level Home Designer product.  In addition, we have even better solutions available in X12.  If you think someone is going to sit down and walk you through every single one of them though you have another thing coming.  Help us help you people. 

P.S.  That wasn’t aimed at you Randy, although I would suggest you update your signature.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

In this case, the whole thing can actually be almost completely automated super easily (numbering and all) with even some built in macros.  Not going to go over every step, but you can easily use notes, a note schedule, custom object fields, x_location attribute, y_location attribute and a quick copy paste to spreadsheet.  

WARNING:  Explicative laced side rant to follow...

I don’t know who you are, but it really really &$&:#+% pisses me off when people downvote @solver, @Signatures, and other invaluable users for suggesting people provide their information (and possibly post a plan).  It’s this type of thankless and ignorant arrogance that drives a lot of us to stop sharing or at least share a lot less or with a much smaller group of users.  Some of you guys out there obviously have no clue how much these little details matter, or how frustrating and utterly exhausting it gets having to repeat the same &*#% instruction over and over again because people are too lazy to invest a little effort themselves or because some less proficient and less helpful user thinks the details don’t matter.  I promise you, the details matter.  They really do.  The last thing I want to do is spend 15-20 minutes of my valuable time explaining a method that won’t even work for the user.  This is a prime example.  The best solution we have in X11 was entirely impossible in X9, and even some of the old less effective solutions are entirely impossible in the highest level Home Designer product.  In addition, we have even better solutions available in X12.  If you think someone is going to sit down and walk you through every single one of them though you have another thing coming.  Help us help you people. 

P.S.  That wasn’t aimed at you Randy, although I would suggest you update your signature.  

Yikes! Signature is changed. This hadn't occurred to me, but your point is well noted.  The last thing I want to do is waste your guys time, and @solver has bailed me out more than once. Did I downvote somebody somehow?  If so I can assure you it was by accident.  I truly appreciate this discussion group!

Cheers,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 10eighty said:

Yikes! Signature is changed. This hadn't occurred to me, but your point is well noted.  The last thing I want to do is waste your guys time, and @solver has bailed me out more than once. Did I downvote somebody somehow?  If so I can assure you it was by accident.  I truly appreciate this discussion group!

Cheers,

No.  It wasn't you.  I've just seen negative points showing up a lot when all people are doing is trying to ACTUALLY be helpful and I see examples all the time of exactly why providing pertinent information is so important.  This example just kinda set me off today is all...it could have been anyone or any thread...sorry it was yours :)

On 2/5/2020 at 7:06 PM, 10eighty said:

@Alaskan_Son k, huge relief! Wish I could Venmo you a nice cold IPA to help mend the fence :D.  I'll be on my best behavior from here on out!

For being so cooperative and thick skinned, I'm giving you a quick, functional, and re-usable example...

Pic.thumb.jpg.64f04b4d4caf485a3281f27e9d7c79a0.jpg

Copy and paste the notes to additional locations and see how automated it can be.  When done, simply select the schedule, copy it, and paste directly into Excel.  Easy peasy rice and cheesy.

• Like 1

Holy BALLS!!!!!! What kinda sorcery is this??? LOL. Damn @Alaskan_Son I hate to admit that while I sent off my coordinates to be uploaded, I accidentally opened up a door to pandora's box of Macros. Very interesting! with a stupid rough learning curve I might add! I have purposely been avoiding this door for obvious reasons.  I will probably reach out to you tomorrow. I would like to learn more!

Capture4.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi @Learner_Jo 

I have since written a comprehensive macro that handle this situation well with elevations included. 

I sent you a Personal Message with additional information.  Please see the black envelope icon a the the top right of this forum page.