MarkMc

Cabinet Configuration/hacking webinar

kwhitt was asking if there was a video that showed more about cabinet configuration than what is in the reference manual. Honestly I don't know, I never watched one. Most of what I know came from either trial and error or watching Scott Harris presentations and trainings. In any case I'd already thought about doing a video (shudder) but decided instead to just do a web meeting.

Next Thursday Feb 13, 2020 at 3pm Eastern. I'm hoping that leaves me enough time to put something together between work load. This will be in X12.

Hope to keep it under an hour but have  not mapped out a presentation yet. Hope to leave quarter to half hour for questions.

Once I have a rough outline I'll included it in this post. Open to suggestion. This is going to be what I consider some basic stuff but I will go over a few things that I do that you don't really have to in X12 (unless you're a wiener like me) along with a couple of things new in 12 that can stand some improvement.

Send email to markmc at markjamesandco dot com and I'll send you the the link for the Zoom meeting

What I'm thinking of going over:

1.    Cabinet/symbol template, file organization, coping with the User library.
 2.    Cutting down clicks-using match front, split, changing cabinets default door style.
 3.    Fast cabinet door symbol creation, creating wainscot inserts symbols.
 4.    Face Items-when to split, when to add face items, adjusting split items
 5.    When and why to use Blank and Side Panel Inset.
 6.    Door symbols that aren’t doors-Using the back face or side- and 0” stiles to make: extended stiles, extend side back, hidden rails and stretchers, hood inserts (checking clearance for a custom wood hood), obstruction cut outs...AND Chief Symbol Dyslexia
 7.    New cabinet interior-when it fails and what’s missing (matching bottom or top)
 8.    If time allows using cabinets to create symbols of non cabinet items.

Prior to the webinar it would be a good idea to read a few things in the X12 Reference Manual

• Cabinet Face Items pg 457
  • Front/Sides/Back Panel pg 464-467
  • Editing Custom Symbols 709-712

Get the Reference Manual from within Chief-Help, View Reference Manual, then download it. You will want to replace this when the final release is out since it’s a work in progress.

Attendees:

rgardner-Ryan Gardner; kwhitt-Kevin M. Whitt; kbird-Mick; StudConstruction - Kurt D. Snyder; Cailin- Cailin M. Thelen; MPhillips-Merlin Phillips; AnitaClark; DzinEye- Mark Johnson; WoodlandDesign- Doug Galler; Ike Daughenbaugh

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

kwhitt was asking if there was a video that showed more about cabinet configuration than what is in the reference manual. Honestly I don't know, I never watched one. Most of what I know came from either trial and error or watching Scott Harris presentations and trainings. In any case I'd already thought about doing a video (shudder) but decided instead to just do a web meeting.

Next Thursday Feb 13, 2020 at 3pm Eastern. I'm hoping that leaves me enough time to put something together between work load. This will be in X12.

Hope to keep it under an hour but have  not mapped out a presentation yet. Hope to leave quarter to half hour for questions.

Once I have a rough outline I'll included it in this post. Open to suggestion. This is going to be what I consider some basic stuff but I will go over a few things that I do that you don't really have to in X12 (unless you're a wiener like me) along with a couple of things new in 12 that can stand some improvement.

Send email to markmc at markjamesandco dot com and I'll send you the the link for the Zoom meeting

That would be awesome.  I am not sure of something on my schedule that day but want to attend.  Email sent.

Thanks Mark , I'd also like to Attend.

Mick.

Just a bump incase Kevin didn't see this Thread    @kwhitt

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks Mark , I'd also like to Attend.

Mick.

Just a bump incase Kevin didn't see this Thread    @kwhitt

Mick - thanks for the heads up.  I responded to Mark on the other thread and have already sent him an email.  I'll be there on the 13th.  Kevin

Bumping just in case (last one I did got requests to join a year later :) last call.

8 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Bumping just in case (last one I did got requests to join a year later :) last call.

Man I am bummed.  I have something I am unable to change at 3:30 so will be unable to attend... :(

Any chance you would be willing to record it so I could watch it?  I would really appreciate the opportunity to look it over and bummed I will not be able to be there "live".

Also just realized you are in New Paltz, We lived in Pine Bush for a while and loved visiting New Paltz.  Did Grimaldis ever open back up? @MarkMc

20 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Any chance you would be willing to record it so I could watch it? 

I'll record it but these generally are pretty big so I'll put it on DB or something. Hopefully someone else will also record so there is a backup in case I muck it up :)

And no on Grimaldi's but there are a couple of good ones around, think New Paltz has over a dozen but my fave is in Highland (I'm from down state so pizza is a big deal and I make it too)

55 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I'll record it but these generally are pretty big so I'll put it on DB or something. Hopefully someone else will also record so there is a backup in case I muck it up :)

And no on Grimaldi's but there are a couple of good ones around, think New Paltz has over a dozen but my fave is in Highland (I'm from down state so pizza is a big deal and I make it too)

Mark - will the participants be able to ask questions via microphone or are we to type?  I ask as I'll need a new headset if talk is enabled.  Looking forward to tomorrow!  Thanks, Kevin

58 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Nice!  Yeah I miss the good NY pizza.  Wife is from Syracuse so have spent lots of time out there over the years.

Thank you very much for recording it.  I appreciate all of your great tricks on cabinets.  I work with several interior designers so they come in very handy.

50 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

will the participants be able to ask questions via microphone or are we to type? 

You can do either; talk is enabled and there is a chat box. You can also join audio by phone OR join the meeting video and audio in Android or IOS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

You can do either; talk is enabled and there is a chat box. You can also join audio by phone OR join the meeting video and audio in Android or IOS.

Thanks Mark!

On 2/12/2020 at 2:12 PM, MarkMc said:

Mark - thanks again for the webinar yesterday.  It was very informative and made me realize how much is truly possible using your cabinet hacks.  I hope we are able to do another one in the future.  Kevin

On 2/12/2020 at 12:18 PM, MarkMc said:

Man I wish I could have been there.  Any chance to get the recording somehow?

55 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Man I wish I could have been there.  Any chance to get the recording somehow?

I had to miss it too but Mark has let me know the recording was bad , so he is going to make several shorter videos when he has time and then will post links here.

M.

• Like 2