Running out of stretch planes

kwhitt

I'm building my own cabinet door/drawer front library.  This library includes wainscoting that has four or more raised panels.  I want the raised panel areas to be the only ones to resize when I stretch.  There appears to be a limit of three stretch planes.  Is there a workaround for this other than piecing my wainscoting?  Much thanks, Kevin

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Why not build your wainscot using a lower cabinet, no need for creating a symbol. Just lock the recess faces and everything else will resize as you intended

Renee - thanks for the reply.  Do you have an example of this?  Would I have control over the intermediate stiles where they join?  Will it look correct in a vector view?  I want to depict these as accurately as possible.

25 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I'm building my own cabinet door/drawer front library.  This library includes wainscoting that has four or more raised panels.  I want the raised panel areas to be the only ones to resize when I stretch.  There appears to be a limit of three stretch planes.  Is there a workaround for this other than piecing my wainscoting?  Much thanks, Kevin

Joe Carrick posted this method on Chief Talk....here is a link to the post; 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, solver said:

This is a cabinet. I created the blue panels (cabinet doors). Moldings part of the cabinet.

cabinet as wainscot A.plan

ct1.thumb.png.6254793bbd06ee18ab4279ac116b11c8.png

Thanks Eric.  That's a great method for a quick sketch of a painted surface.  Parts of this kitchen (the island) will be wood and I'd like to show the rails and stiles with proper grain direction.  Also, this method does not allow me to use the beading profile that matches the rest of the cabinet fronts.  I may have to build my own symbols and piece them together or properly sized to begin with.  I thought it would be really cool if I could automate it within CA.

Untitled 1.jpg

The wood grains looks correct.  I am talking about the beading profile on the door itself where the frame meets the center panel.  With the method described I am assuming it can only be square.

"I would want the end stile to match the center ones for wainscot."

I probably wouldn't build it that way but you can model it that way in Chief.  Set your left and right stiles to 0 and then add extra vertical separations next to the panels.  In the picture below, I have turned on cabinet module lines, removed the right stile, and added a new vertical separation on the right side.

Also, I would probably add extra horizontal separations at the top and bottom for the moldings.  I noticed that you offset your moldings from the top and bottom and then had to raise the cabinet off the floor by the same amount.  Nothing wrong with that but I prefer to have the cabinet sit on the floor and use the cabinet height rather than have the molding extend past the box.  Or, I might use a base cabinet and put the moldings on the 0 depth toe kick and no overhang counter.

adjusted face frame.png

" I am talking about the beading profile on the door itself where the frame meets the center panel.  With the method described I am assuming it can only be square."

You can't easily add an edge profile or bead to the cabinet face frame.  You can often sometimes fake it by adding the profile to the outside door/drawer/panel symbol.  Your panel sizes will be off though and you can't adjust your panel inset to make the profile flush with the face frame.  This usually looks better with a true bead rather than an edge profile.

33 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I am talking about the beading profile on the door itself where the frame meets the center panel.  With the method described I am assuming it can only be square.

Make he profile part of the door symbol. I have a collection of cabinet doors just for wainscot, here are two (right one done as Dermot suggests for Wainscot, left done as would be supplied by cabinet mfg

image.thumb.png.57d5e8979784b37c44cb80a32b4d7f24.pngimage.thumb.png.f11d7c6f9818423aa1defb546be4221f.png

12 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You can't add an edge profile or bead to the cabinet face frame. 

Well you can but it's a lot of work. samples exist in the symbols forum from a few years ago. Stuck one in  here

image.thumb.png.81168360d1c1e759bda2d42929fe5680.png

wainscot with bead.plan

• Like 1

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

Mind sharing your 4 bead profiles? :)

Plans with full set of cabinets are in the symbols forum from a few years ago. There are stand alone and a group meant to be used to get combined cabinets into a schedule (they overlap each other)

11 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

left done as would be supplied by cabinet mfg

OOPs split the wrong parts on that, corrected version attached.

wainscot with bead.plan

• Upvote 1

I was able to create this using a left, mid, and right custom symbol that resizes quite nicely (up to a point).  The only problem now is the textures don't flow nicely across the individual components.  I have tried with and without global mapping.  I guess I could get around this by assigning proper UV's in another program, but it would be just as quick to draw it to proper size to begin with.

WAINSCOT.jpg

CABINETS.calibz

18 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Here's the plan file which exceeded the total limit in the last post...

WAINSCOT.zip

Simplify. Frame elements are cabinet separations so you have complete control. All the rest is a single cabinet door. Open the  plans I posted and open the objects!!

Make special doors to use as "side panel inset" Plan attached is old but instructive, has the parts to make an assortment of panels and cameras to check location of moldings. I dropped on wainscot panel door symbol in as well.

New Door template.plan

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Simplify. Frame elements are cabinet separations so you have complete control. All the rest is a single cabinet door. Open the  plans I posted and open the objects!!

Make special doors to use as "side panel inset" Plan attached is old but instructive, has the parts to make an assortment of panels and cameras to check location of moldings. I dropped on wainscot panel door symbol in as well.

New Door template.plan

Yes Mark, I think you have it right.  I'll explore adding the bead profile to the center panel tomorrow.  Thanks for all the help!  Kevin

42 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

New Door template.plan

Mark - your method got me thinking about how to apply wainscot end panels to cabinets.  I think it would work well, but I can't figure out how I would go about adding a notched toe kick.  Got any ideas?  Also, our shop often will use the wainscot panel as the actual cabinet side.  Is there a way to replace the entire cabinet side with the wainscot panel so that the functioning door is flush with this side?  The second image shows an example of this flush wainscot side.  Thanks again!

end panels.jpg

XX-1.jpg

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Is there a way to replace the entire cabinet side with the wainscot panel so that the functioning door is flush with this side? 

Open the cabinet in the attached. Ignore the defaults as they don't apply. Standard cabinet will give you toe on the side, custom side with "side panel inset" using a "wainscot panel" door symbol, set separations to suit. The curved side is a different matter ;-> (but can be done-maybe you can try that next)

image.png

waiscot side.plan

8 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Open the cabinet in the attached. Ignore the defaults as they don't apply. Standard cabinet will give you toe on the side, custom side with "side panel inset" using a "wainscot panel" door symbol, set separations to suit. The curved side is a different matter ;-> (but can be done-maybe you can try that next)

image.png

waiscot side.plan

Mark - this is great and has opened up a world of possibilities.  I am having some trouble understanding the order of things under "Custom Face" in the "Front/Sides/Back" tab.  Is there a video on the subject?  I don't feel the manual is giving me the big picture.  Thanks again

3 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I am having some trouble understanding the order of things under "Custom Face" in the "Front/Sides/Back" tab.  Is there a video on the subject? 

I have no idea if there is a decent video, never watched one for it. Learned it all by trial and watching Scott Harris presentations/trainings. After seeing where you had gone I thought about doing one, instead decided to do a webinar. Here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25146-cabinet-configurationhacking-webinar/

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I have no idea if there is a decent video, never watched one for it. Learned it all by trial and watching Scott Harris presentations/trainings. After seeing where you had gone I thought about doing one, instead decided to do a webinar. Here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25146-cabinet-configurationhacking-webinar/

Mark - I've got another question regarding your end panel hack.  In a vector/illustration view, the joint where the rails meets the stiles is missing on the cabinet sides.  The door/drawer fronts look just fine.  Is there a way to have these show up?  Kevin

vector01.jpg

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Is there a way to have these show up? 

There are several each with a downside.

image.thumb.png.2d82a05fdb10c540f379a9f29c300567.png

First one left is easiest-change horizontal separations to side panel inset specify slab.

That should give you an idea of what to try next.

As you try variations on the left one you'll get the idea of the problems and alternative answers.

Far right is a custom side panel (one for each side) and a hacked back (next to try would be a custom sub-base/toe)

OR you can decide it's not worth the trouble (hasn't been worth the trouble for you to dig in to try everything possible yet has it?) and leave it alone.

(A big reason I don't like doing videos is that most often they teach how to do one thing and keep folks from digging into to how and why things happen.)

4 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

There are several each with a downside.

image.thumb.png.2d82a05fdb10c540f379a9f29c300567.png

First one left is easiest-change horizontal separations to side panel inset specify slab.

That should give you an idea of what to try next.

As you try variations on the left one you'll get the idea of the problems and alternative answers.

Far right is a custom side panel (one for each side) and a hacked back (next to try would be a custom sub-base/toe)

OR you can decide it's not worth the trouble (hasn't been worth the trouble for you to dig in to try everything possible yet has it?) and leave it alone.

(A big reason I don't like doing videos is that most often they teach how to do one thing and keep folks from digging into to how and why things happen.)

Thanks Mark.  You're right - it isn't that big of a deal - just thought there'd be a feature for that.  In this case I can always add the lines after exporting to layout or remove them using the edit tools.  Kevin