Auto Tray Ceiling Fail

HillsideDB

I used the 'auto tray' tool for the first time tonight. In a master bedroom it worked fantastically. However when I went to use it in the Great Room I was working on it kept messing up. I had set the room to 10' and wanted the ceiling to tray up to 11'. Instead of recessing the tray and creating the 11' height it brought the ceiling down to 9' and brought the tray to 10'. It gave a warning of: the ceiling platforms above this tray are at different heights. One thing I noticed is I had used a few room dividers to close off and create the Great Room. If I draw over those with interior walls, the tray works exactly as it should. But the moment I make those invisible, the warning pops up again and the tray grabs exterior walls around the adjacent areas creating a perimeter around the Great Room, Kitchen, and Dining. 

You can see the bedroom in the back of the pic, the auto tray worked great. And in the foreground, the auto tray ignored room dividers and brought the ceiling down to 9' but left the walls up at 10' along with the actual trays. Very odd! 

Note: All 3 rooms here are set to 10' ceiling heights. X12 beta.

TRAY CEILING 2.jpg

TRAY CEILING.jpg

The trey ceiling tool is designed to span room dividers in order to avoid odd cases where the dropped section of the trey would fail to line up with the ceiling on the other side of the divider:

image.thumb.png.b0f7f548a841c919d2dcd651c7f4503f.png

As for the fact that the trey ceiling isn't recessing into the room's "natural" ceiling: as long as the "Recess into Ceiling" checkbox is checked and there are no rooms above the trey ceiling, it should recess into the ceiling structure. If that box is checked and it's failing to recess, that's a bug.

image.png.e2baa249b3a9d6496f4602965ccabee0.png

Without looking more closely at the plan, I'm not entirely sure why you'd be seeing the warning about the ceiling heights, but if you submit a bug report, one of us should be able to take a look at it.

Thanks for the reply! I don't have any rooms above. I will get back into the plan later today and double check everything and then submit a bug report if still having issues. 

thanks!

BTW, it worked flawlessly in the bedroom. It's an awesome tool and definitely glad to have it! 

4 hours ago, BenMerritt said:

Without looking more closely at the plan, I'm not entirely sure why you'd be seeing the warning about the ceiling heights, but if you submit a bug report, one of us should be able to take a look at it.

Isn't that because, in this case, the big room really has 2 different ceiling heights because the room dividers are ignored?

21 hours ago, solver said:

A rambling look at the Tray Ceiling tool showing what seems to be a problem.

Good observations showing the apparent bug, and how the tray ceiling tool can be improved.
It seems that there will have to be another checkbox added to the tools dbx whether to ignore invisible walls or not.

21 hours ago, solver said:

A rambling look at the Tray Ceiling tool showing what seems to be a problem.

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/IxKrODd5zOE?hd=1

Yep, this is exactly what was happening in my file. I have sent the issue to the Chief team and I'm sure they will figure it out. I did tell them that it works flawlessly in the closed off rooms and I look forward to having such a tool.