Moving Data Folder to different Drive

Electromen

I bought a second Internal SSD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Right now it is formatted with nothing on it.

I wondered about moving CA Folders to this new drive and leaving the CA Program on the original SSD containing the OS.

The Folders would be:

Data

Library

Temporary 

Undo

System Library Database

New Plan Templates

Would this make the program run faster?

Second question?

I currently save my Plans and Layouts to the Cloud.  Should I move these back to one of the SSDs?   The only thing I really need on the cloud are printed Layout in .PDF. I use them on the job sites.

If yes, which one?

1 hour ago, Electromen said:

I bought a second Internal SSD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Right now it is formatted with nothing on it.

I wondered about moving CA Folders to this new drive and leaving the CA Program on the original SSD containing the OS.

The Folders would be:

Data

Library

Temporary 

Undo

System Library Database

New Plan Templates

Would this make the program run faster?

Second question?

I currently save my Plans and Layouts to the Cloud.  Should I move these back to one of the SSDs?   The only thing I really need on the cloud are printed Layout in .PDF. I use them on the job sites.

If yes, which one?

I too had a small SSD for many years , so for along time I used Windows 10 ability to "relocate" Libraries to another Drives to give the Small SSD some breathing room.

For example I Move the Location of My Documents to D:\Documents   --- This in turn moves the Chief Data Folder(s) to D: too as Chief automatically installs the Data Folder in My Documents, (Documents in Win10)..... I also keep my Client Folders/Plans in My Documents for the same Reason, I then backup My Documents to an external 8TB USB Drive Daily too. ( for this reason I leave my User Library in the Data folder too)

I also Moved the Downloads, Pictures, Videos, and Music Folders to D:\ 

Make these New Folders on D:\  1st , then move their Location to the new Folder and agree to move all files to the new Folder.

This is one of the Tutorials I 1st used to do the above "move", their is actually a Tutorial for each of Windows "Libraries" but the method is the same for each.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

I have also made Folders for CA-Undo and CA-Temp On my fastest SSD 

Personally I don't like having my only copy of anything only in the Cloud , and now you have 1TB there is no need for you to either , just use it for "backup" or Onsite/Mobility needs or accessing from another computer.

Whether it makes things run faster I am not sure......

Now you have more Room you can in the future install other Programs to D:\ instead of C:\ though, rather than just letting their Installer put in it C:\ by Default , make a D:\Programs Folder and Install Programs there instead.

Mick.

16 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I too had a small SSD for many years , so for along time I used Windows 10 ability to "relocate" Libraries to another Drives to give the Small SSD some breathing room.

For example I Move the Location of My Documents to D:\Documents   --- This in turn moves the Chief Data Folder(s) to D: too as Chief automatically installs the Data Folder in My Documents, (Documents in Win10)..... I also keep my Client Folders/Plans in My Documents for the same Reason, I then backup My Documents to an external 8TB USB Drive Daily too. ( for this reason I leave my User Library in the Data folder too)

I also Moved the Downloads, Pictures, Videos, and Music Folders to D:\ 

Make these New Folders on D:\  1st , then move their Location to the new Folder and agree to move all files to the new Folder.

This is one of the Tutorials I 1st used to do the above "move", their is actually a Tutorial for each of Windows "Libraries" but the method is the same for each.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

I have also made Folders for CA-Undo and CA-Temp On my fastest SSD 

Personally I don't like having my only copy of anything only in the Cloud , and now you have 1TB there is no need for you to either , just use it for "backup" or Onsite/Mobility needs or accessing from another computer.

Whether it makes things run faster I am not sure......

Now you have more Room you can in the future install other Programs to D:\ instead of C:\ though, rather than just letting their Installer put in it C:\ by Default , make a D:\Programs Folder and Install Programs there instead.

Mick.

Thanks Mick,

I took your advice and moved the entire Documents Folder to the new SSD.  I need to decide about using the Cloud, I like your advice about using it as a back up/