Any Guesses on what is causing this to glow?

parkwest

I have 2 triangle section of walls on each end of my balcony that appear to be glowing.  I turned down outside sunlight level to dusk and have a roof over that area... everything looks okay except for those two spots.  I included the window view so you can see the sun coming thru the windows doesn't hit the two areas in question.

This is done in X12.

Any guesses?

Living Area B.jpg

Living Area.png

22 minutes ago, parkwest said:

No!  Not Attic Walls...

image.thumb.png.f7cd4b93e0d2adf51ed1a8189aa0c414.pngimage.thumb.png.253a2de9ab3918979288796552a6509a.png

Reversed ? shouldn't they have Cedar Lap siding on the "Exterior Side?  or are you using the if Butting Roof Setting?

You know Posting the Plan is the best way to get help ....... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Reversed ? shouldn't they have Cedar Lap siding on the "Exterior Side?  or are you using the if Butting Roof Setting?

You know Posting the Plan is the best way to get help ....... 

The interior walls at the bottom of the storage... 

The dbx for the walls opened on my other monitor that had the exterior showing...

The fact that the glow on those triangular walls is reduced when you turn the sun way down is a strong indicator that some portion of the those walls might be protruding into the attic space or the adjacent walls cavity. Open up a section view and check very closely to make sure this is not the case, even a 1/16" protrusion can cause this.

19 hours ago, parkwest said:

This is done in X12.

Any guesses? 

Since you aren't posting a plan I had a run at it. No idea how accurate it is to your model, only added enough windows to get some light in there. Roof is manual, second floor height was altered after roof was in. At first the entire front of the balcony was glowing, never managed to reproduce just the triangles glowing so some may not match yours. This is what finally go rid of all of the glow, bit counter intuitive but ....may help.

image.thumb.png.5a68a5df7b41c62c7a52bb6796ef443c.pngimage.thumb.png.8ad8bd244c5c753c08269e1366f41e6c.png

The attached plan screenshot was X11, after I saw you were using 12 I checked it and it's the same.

loft.plan

• Like 1

I frequently get glowing artifacts in my PBR's, and as someone above suggested it seems to have something to do with sunlight leaking into the building.  
My quick fix is to just turn off the sun which works frequently, but obviously would'nt in your second shot... which looks great BTW.
I am trying to figure out how Mark McAniff fixed it.  Are his notes indicating things he changed? 
It appeared from your dbx screenshot that you already had given those triangle walls a room definition?

Did you have success using his fix?  If so, what exactly did you end up doing?

On 2/2/2020 at 3:36 PM, DzinEye said:

Did you have success using his fix?  If so, what exactly did you end up doing?

Actually, I was working with the customer and I told them I was going to remove the loft and re-draw it.  They ended up liking what it looked like without the loft area.

I don't know why the triangle walls insisted on creeping into the roof area.... but problem is solved for me... for now.

Living Area B2.jpg

Living Area A2.jpg

2 minutes ago, parkwest said:

I don't know why the triangle walls insisted on creeping into the roof area.... but problem is solved for me... for now.

It's not sunlight leaking or wall layers, it's just some weirdness. The easiest fix...paint the wall material with the same material (just so it doesn't reference the default).. Sounds weird but it usually works.

Or add a wall covering of the same material.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, robdyck said:

It's not sunlight leaking or wall layers, it's just some weirdness. The easiest fix...paint the wall material with the same material

Rob, you said: 'paint the wall material with the same material'....  same as what?

It must be related to the sun, leaking or not, because it always goes away when I turn off the sun.  I've never had the effect from interior lighting.

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

paint the wall material with the same material'....  same as what

As the existing Wall  ie Drywall probably in this case ...this causes the Material to no longer be at "Default"  , which Rob is suggesting fixes the Issue (sometimes)

Mick.

48 minutes ago, robdyck said:

The same as whatever it already is, but use a wall covering

13 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

As the existing Wall  ie Drywall probably in this case ...this causes the Material to no longer be at "Default" 

Got it!... thank you... I'll give it a try next time.  That will work on walls, but I get all kinds of other things having this issue too... drawers, hardware, components I've modeled in Sketchup, etc etc..  I've tried painting them with no success.  The only method that always worked was turning off the sun.