Text Macro Execution Problem

robdyck

I have a text macro in a garage plan that references the area of a polyline. In layout, that macro appears blank unless the plan file is open. Is that normal?

I needed to open the layout file only (or so I thought) and make a few adjustments before printing.

image.thumb.png.ca8ed7c656912beab0446470e057e5a0.png

15 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Completely depends on that macro, how it is written, whether or not it references any other global variables, whether or not those global variables are set by a macro included in that particular view, etc.

It doesn't reference any global variables, however it does reference a polyline that is part of a site plan layer set, and is not displayed in that main floor plan view.

So, just trying to understand this...when I open the 'main floor plan' view, the macro is not executed until I also open the 'site plan' view which contains the polyline and macro.

A little context:

This is for my garage and shop plans which are all setup to auto-execute as much as possible because of the general simplicity of the structure type and likewise, the construction documents. Obviously, I don't want to calculate the building area, I want it to display automatically. And...I didn't want to (at least not yet) change the default for "Garage" rooms to be included in the Living Area calculation, so I was using a polyline macro that you setup for me (which works great BTW and has saved me plenty o' time).

For this case, the solution seems to be 1 of 2 options: Correct me if I'm wrong with these assumptions

1. Change my default for "Garage" rooms to include in the Living Area and use the Living Area macro OR

2. Place the polyline I'm currently using on the final main floor plan view, and adjust it's line type and drawing order so it doesn't affect my desired display. 

Any thoughts?

This could of course lead to a suggestion for Chief to enable multiple groupings in the room dbx for area calculations.

I may not understand why you are using the Polyline but in this case wouldn't the Auto Area Label in the Default Room Label or a Text box with some of Chief Standard Macros suffice?  I have one blocked in the Library and just drop it in , when needed.

M.

image.thumb.png.17ff67f90a713b537b443e2796bcdaba.png

8 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

wouldn't the Auto Area Label in the Default Room Label or a Text box with some of Chief Standard Macros suffice

That's a good question. For this plan, it started off as a simple 3-car detached garage, then morphed into a a 4car garage made up of 3 separate bays, some heated, some unheated, some finished, some unfinished, and a covered lean-to parking area.

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You can pretty much add anything to the Room Info Box

Yeah, I hear you.  I just needed to turn on that polyline layer in my main floor plan instead of just in my site plan in order for it to execute properly (this project didn't need a site plan).

Chiefs auto labels would suffice, I just didn't have my defaults for a simple garage plan setup to calc different areas for spaces like a lean-to parking area that aren't part of the 'building area'. Everything was setup really nice for it to be quick and easy, and then the whole project got quite customized which pretty much screwed all the auto stuff I had setup.

If I'd known it would morph like that when I started, I would've used a different plan template...and I would've priced it differently!

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

2. Place the polyline I'm currently using on the final main floor plan view, and adjust it's line type and drawing order so it doesn't affect my desired display. 

Any thoughts?

Yes, this is one solution.  Another solution would be to place a layout box that uses a layer set that does have that polyine turned on somewhere off to the side in that layout. 

It's funny, I had envisioned al sorts of possible scenarios as to why your macro wasn't executing till you opened the plan, but the scenario you described wasn't one of them.  Really highlights exactly why all the little details are so important. 

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

This could of course lead to a suggestion for Chief to enable multiple groupings in the room dbx for area calculations.

Chief is really getting pretty close with the new Custom Schedule capabilities in X12.  It's very easy to create a schedule that includes any room or group of rooms.  Include only an Area Column, and Display Totals Row and you can easily get automated area totals for any and all groups and/or subgroups.  We could of course use a completely new group of tools, but one more small step, and schedules would be a totally easy to use and viable replacement for many scenarios where we currently have to utilize relatively complex custom macro solutions...