Stacked Headers

HamlinBC

Hello,

We are just starting to use framing aspect of Cheif. We've never really had a use for it before but we are moving into some territory where it will be an essential part of our business model.

My question is this: I am trying to set up auto framing on interior door headers. I want it to stack two 2x4's on top of the trimmers. The 2x4's need to be laying the 3 1/2" side to the floor and ceiling. I can only seem to get it to produce 1 2x4 header laying on the trimmers within the doorway. I need the number of 2x4's in the material list to be correct. 

I've changed the header count to "2", and it seems like it only wants to allow 2 if they fit within the width of the wall. It will let me place two 2x2's as headers, but only a single 2x4.

I've attached an image of what I'm trying to explain.

Thank you for your time!

Capture.PNG

I could find no "input box" relative to "Number of Headers" in "Default Settings", so I accomplished the result manually (you build framing and then turn off "Auto Rebuild Framing" so the "automatic setting does not "undo" your manual editing. Perhaps someone else knows a bit more than I do, we will see...

DJP

Wall Detail.jpg

8 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I could find no "input box" relative to "Number of Headers" in "Default Settings", so I accomplished the result manually (you build framing and then turn off "Auto Rebuild Framing" so the "automatic setting does not "undo" your manual editing. Perhaps someone else knows a bit more than I do, we will see...

DJP

This is the closest thing I could find to "number of headers", like you said. As previously mentioned, this seems to only allow you to set how many framing members you'd like horizontally, rather than vertically.

Capture2.PNG

I order the software to create "4" and it just created "2". I suggest you call Tech Support tomorrow and see what they have to say (that is Free with your SSA account).

It is either a bug or a misunderstanding of what is intended by Chief (looks like a short-fall to me)

My opinion is "if I can get it done, no matter what, I am happy" but that is just me.

DJP

3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Just played with that and the number of pieces is dictated by the wall thickness.

Like this ?  this can't be done Auto in X11......it will only build the (1)  2x4 on the flat , you then need to copy it and move it up.

There are New Headers Types in X12 , so I'd need to try it there and see if it's possible

image.thumb.png.830a07e417eae0042a100e636323370f.pngimage.thumb.png.159fa1dd1cffa66afffa2c37daa2dc99.png 

You can get 3 in X12 but again it is a situation where the chief knows better and if you tell it "0" you get the default 1 1/2" .  Sorry you can make it 1/16" but that is not much help.

Plenty of room in the Defaults DBX for more settings but I don't see it there.

Triple Header.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

In my experience that's a pretty unconventional way to frame an opening. 

We do that type of thing for non load bearing openings all the time, although I usually either do 1 flat 2x on the bottom with 2-2x4 on edge (1 each side of wall) or I just use 2-2x flat (stacked).

20 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

There are New Headers Types in X12 , so I'd need to try it there and see if it's possible

In X12 you can set it to use the Box Header and make the Depth 1/16 ( smallest) and it will still add the top and bottom 2x4 , so it looks like what you want.....not sure what it does to the ML though.

image.thumb.png.e46ad4485d578f86e853c1af5ab2545c.png

I have all interior doors and openings to use (2) 2x4 headers... I don't care if it frames on the flat or not, I use for the takeoff. Then my material list is correct. I do my valley boards the same way for stick framing over trusses. I lay it flat on across the trusses up the valley when building. But I use it for the takeoff in CA..

I believe the easiest way to accomplish the 2-ply on-flat header for interior door is to specify a single ply, then group select all of them in plan view and replicate up 1.5". That will result in the correct count and build, although the cripple studs above the opening will be 1.5" too long. 

If that is unacceptable, they can be trimmed by group selecting all of them, and reducing their length by 1.5" (keep the top locked).

Another option would be to increase the door height RO by 1.5", then select all the hdrs and replicate down 1.5". This will result in a the wrong RO being reported, unless you change it after the framing has been built and locked.

Chief's header spec dbx is not near good enough. Suggestions have been sent in but AFAIK there has been no indication of upcoming improvement in this area.

Thanks for all of your help everyone, it looks like the option for a box header in X12 may be our best bet.

We've figured out a way to take Cheif's material/cut list and run that data into an automated saw to create wall packs to pre-cut all the framing lumber before it's delivered to the jobsite, It's pretty crucial that I don't "fake" anything. We draw roughly 350-400 houses a year so unfortunately the manually editing the framing would add a pretty large kink in our process as far as efficiency goes.

It may end up we need to sacrifice efficiency for accuracy if the X12 thing does not work. Only time will tell.