Deck Railing outside deck edge?

Joe_Carrick

My favorite way to accomplish this ATM is to create the deck/room with custom invisible walls set to 0.01" thick to define the room and then draw the railings with no room definition checked and positioned exactly where they should be either inside the room or on the exterior of the room. You can then resize the railing walls in elevation views to get the fascia mounted newel post style like a lot of modern decks are designed these days.

46 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Does anyone have a link to a thread that covers this?

There are ways to do this with chief tools, no argument there, but my absolute preferred method is to open a new plan, draw it out to spec and save it as a symbol in my library under that jobs folder...no fussing with deck edges and walls reconnecting/screwing things up. I know I'm the minority but this is what I do every time it comes to fussy railings...its fast and bullet proof...just not dynamic cept for in the Z plane

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

There are ways to do this with chief tools, no argument there, but my absolute preferred method is to open a new plan, draw it out to spec and save it as a symbol in my library under that jobs folder...no fussing with deck edges and walls reconnecting/screwing things up. I know I'm the minority but this is what I do every time it comes to fussy railings.

Actually, me too. I have run into a few different situations lately where railings have not been cooperating, especially around stairs and landings, in which I just build it in a separate plan and then convert it into a symbol. Symbols are are great as they don't randomly change on you if you walls or stairs change slightly and you can position them anywhere you like.

This is a good thread , with two slightly different ways to do Fascia Mounted Railings depending on the Corner details, pity this is not yet one of the Auto Options yet.

you need to put the bottom down in elevation while the railing is temporarily set back to a wall ( railing unchecked)

As others have already said, there are lots of ways to do this. It just depends on how accurate you need it to be and on exactly what your railing structure looks like.  Another super quick and easy method in my opinion is to simply build the deck as you want it with Auto Regenerate toggled on.  Once your DECK is correct, check Retain Framing, turn Auto Regenerate off, move the floor definition down the distance of your desired newel drop, and then move the walls out the distance of your desired offset.  

I am now using Glenn's method.  It would be real ice if CA would just make the railings more flexible so that they could be set to the outside of the deck edge and extend down a specified distance.  We can already offset the Newells.  Why not the following:

• offset the Balusters
  • offset the Railings
  • extend both Newells and Balusters below the Deck surface.

That really shouldn't be too difficult for the great programmers CA has.  :D

31 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

Is it necessary for you to model it as fascia mounted?

Yes that is the whole point of having 3D modeling software.  Even if the railing is not offset the posts don't just sit on the surface of the planking.  It may appear that way to the average customer but that is not how it is built.

If it does get built that way someone is likely to be sued.

Many improvements still needed for decks and railings.

It is not difficult to offset your Newels vertically but why not just have them default to the bottom of framing or enter the exact distance you require ?

I have seen a tutorial about how to accomplish this effect. It entails creating a symbol of posts and balusters which is then applied as a "Fence Panel". I once followed this tutorial, made the symbol fence panel and applied it successfully. This was a year or more ago and I now cannot find the tutorial (by someone else) nor can I find the symbol fence panel I made from the tutorial but I am certain that it is rather easy to do.

The tutorial was posted on Chief Talk where I saw it but now I cannot, by "Search" find it.

I created the render below using a symbol made from custom slabs but this is NOT exactly what I saw in the lost tutorial (the end product in the tutorial was MUCH easier to work with)

DJP

Fence.jpg