railing

winterdd

19 minutes ago, solver said:

Think about a 30' long wall divided into 3 10' sections. The center section is siding and the 2 outside sections are brick.

How would you create that wall?

Draw 4 railing walls to form a room (or a deck). Draw stairs. What happens to the railing? What does the program use to change the railing?

no clue what you are trying to explain, however here is a pic. only one railing wall, post to beam to catch the porch roof. i want to slide the posts as shown. they are currently 120" o.c. and you cannot manually manipulate them.

Capture1.JPG

2 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Eric is talking about wall breaks. Draw a couple CAD lines; dimension them where you want the breaks, and then break the railing wall at the CAD lines. The posts will move.

hmm, i would have never thought to try that, but hey if it works it works lol

If you don't want the post to move after breaking the original railing wall, pick the center railing wall and reverse its wall layers from the edit toolbar (wall with line and 2-arrows). That prevents the walls from rejoining if you accidentally adjust one of the end wall handles.

2 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

when i mess with the center railing and increase the spacing or set post size to zero it reconnects the whole railing. i will keep trying

After you break the railing...select the center section and reverse it.  This will keep it from re-joining the other rails.  You could also just change its “wall type” and that would also keep it from re-joining.  

2 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

this is a fun one. reversing the wall worked to avoid rejoining. however this happened.

That's an issue with your wall definition. The technique works if your wall def is set up right, but as Eric said, so do doorways without having to reverse.

and the winner goes tooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not reversing the wall type but changing the wall type. outer rails are "railing/fence. center rail wall is "interior railing". thanks guys, i would have never guessed those suggestions on my own.

Capture2.JPG

6 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

this is a fun one. reversing the wall worked to avoid rejoining. however this happened. let me change wall types, and see.

Capture2.JPG

looks like you have Brick as the exterior wall material currently? try changing it to concrete and make the interior side the brick instead. ( since wall is reversed )

M.

2 hours ago, solver said:

And experiment with placing a doorway in the railing. Sometimes it's the simplest way.

actually, Eric is right.  Just place a doorway into the railing wall and size it how you need to space the posts.  3-4 clicks and - DONE.