Wall selection in 3d not working

tds_cc

1 minute ago, tds_cc said:

Thanks but if only it were that easy. I know all about using tab. I have already tried that and it is not working.

I assumed because that's the usual culprit...I'll check out your file and let you know if I figure anything out!

It seems it's because of the wallcovering. When I delete or change the wallcovering, I can then select the walls. Seems weird to me.

I certainly wouldn't use the wallcovering option for changing the paint color. Use the materials tab / walls instead (Room Spec DBX).

8 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It seems it's because of the wallcovering. When I delete or change the wallcovering, I can then select the walls. Seems weird to me.

I certainly wouldn't use the wallcovering option for changing the paint color. Use the materials tab / walls instead (Room Spec DBX).

Thank you! I agree, it seems weird. My coworker and I are wondering why CA even offers a wall covering option if it's going to behave this way. We will go back to just changing walls I suppose.

It won't be an issue if you add the wall covering to each wall, but it is an issue if you add it to the room. It probably should be noted and sent to tech support and Chief could look into and possibly correct that behavior. They may not be aware of this oddity.

38 minutes ago, tds_cc said:

Can anyone tell me why I can't select any walls in 3D view in the attached file? Whenever I try to select a wall, it will only select the room.

Concept_Drawings_Sanchez.plan

I just tried your plan, and was able to open wall using tab key when select opened room first

Worked in both full camera and perspective full overview

Wall coverings were originally designed to be used for cosmetic things like wallpaper borders or to have a different material above/below a chair rail molding.  If you want to change the whole wall, from top to bottom, it's usually better to change either the wall or room material.  If you want a wall to be structurally different, it is usually better to use a new wall type (or a pony wall depending on the situation).  In other words, painting a brick material on a siding wall does not actually make it a brick wall even though the surface may look like brick.

As far as being able to select a room or a wall, it should not matter how your preference is set.  The preference should only control what is selected first and using the tab key should select the other one.  Personally, I prefer to have the preference set to select the wall and if I need to select a room, I can always just click on the floor or ceiling and I don't have to use the tab key very often.

If you specify a wall covering for a whole room going from floor to ceiling, I could see why the program might get confused and not let you select the wall.  Feel free to report this to our technical support department.