Grade not showing correctly

capitaldesigns

I am working on a practice plan before working on the real project.

I inputted the grade to be 21" lower than the first floor sub-floor. 

In section and elevation views the grade is shown 3'-5" below the

first floor sub-floor. Under terrain specification it shows sub-floor height

above terrain is 21".  Is there some other setting pushing the grade down

to 3'-5" below the first floor sub-floor ?

Thanks,

Mike   

Basement Plan.plan

I just tried that. I deleted the terrain that was placed on the foundation level and drew it on the first floor level.

This time instead of placing the grade 3'-5" below the sub-floor it placed it 12'-5" below the first floor sub-floor.

I wanted the upper grade o be 21" below the first floor sub-floor. 

It is placing the grade 21" below the basement finish slab. To get the lower grade to be level with the basement finish

slab I need to place the grade -111" below the first floor sub-floor.  The basement slab is drawn 132" below the first

floor finish floor, not -111".

To get the upper grade to be 21" below the first floor sub-floor I had to show the grade as 0" below the first floor sub-floor.

When I look at the structure DBX under room specification it shows that 0" elevation is still the first floor sub-floor. So why

do I have to call out the upper grade to be 0" below the first floor sub-floor to get it t show up in section view as 21"

below grade ? 

Thank you,

Mike

Sorry, I spoke much too quickly earlier and didn't study your plan well enough so I just deleted my statement.  It doesn't matter what floor you put the terrain on.  It should behave the same and it should always reference Floor 1.  Your discrepancy comes from your elevation line settings.  That 21" offset is referencing a 0" elevation height.  The highest point on your terrain however is -18". 

I'm sure you are correct. When I first place the terrain it shows it at 21" below the first floor sub-floor.

After I place the elevation regions for the upper and lower pads that when everything screwed up. Even

though I selected the upper elevation region and called it out to be 21" below the first floor sub-floor CA

showed the grade as 12'-5" below the sub-floor. I had to show it as 0" below the sub-floor in order for it

to show correctly as 2" below the sub-floor.

I thought everything was measured from the first floor sub-floor height.

It can be.

But to do that, you need to set the Sub Floor Height Above Terrain to zero.

You can then directly relate the terrain heights to the first floor zero height.

ie, with a Sub Floor Height Above Terrain set at zero, an Elevation Line of 24" will be 24" above the zero floor level.

Likewise, a  Sub Floor Height Above Terrain set at zero, an Elevation Line of -24" will be 24" below the zero floor level.

There are several ways to set heights in relation to the terrain.

You can even use real word heights for both the terrain and the floor heights.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

Is the grade level and the terrain level two different things? When I put the story pole in the exterior elevation, it doesn't line up with the terrain height. I never used the story pole tool before so this is new to me.

You can set it to match the Terrain Perimeter Height eg if it is 18" below the Subfloor...... Set the Grade Level Marker to -18 ( negative 18")  instead of Zero and make sure to reference the Grade Level Marker not the 1st Floor Subfloor. 

M.

image.thumb.png.defce75afcbb5a27ae38ee9ca535e834.png

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

You can set it to match the Terrain Perimeter Height eg if it is 18" below the Subfloor...... Set the Grade Level Marker to -18 ( negative 18")  instead of Zero and make sure to reference the Grade Level Marker not the 1st Floor Subfloor. 

M.

image.thumb.png.defce75afcbb5a27ae38ee9ca535e834.png

Thank perfect, Thank You!!