Locating drawer boxes in cabinets.Default slide clearance

DaveBox

2 hours ago, DaveBox said:

Is it possible to set defaults to this resize arrangement?

Yes it is with custom symbols for the drawer boxes. Slightly different than what you had but that's because I just altered some symbols I already had. You can do the same from those included.

image.thumb.png.d09632f16e1e86f1f54caa7e6afcaf55.png

Attached plan has two.

Open Symbol and check the origin and stretch zones.

When making the symbols I check advanced options.

I moved the Z origin by a 1/4" of an inch since the default gap at the bottom is 1/4". This increases it to 1/2".

For the sides the OOB gap is 1/2" and you wanted 3/16. To get that once I reduced the bounding box width by 5/8" or (1/2"-3/16") x 2.

You will notice that the boxes don't resize in height well so you will need multiple heights but most everyone has a standard run of sizes so should not be a big deal IMO.

The symbols included will work in cabinets up to 36" wide. Any wider and you need a wider box since they won't resize beyond that.

Drawer resize defaults symbols.plan

Hi Mark.

Thanks for your help.  Following your instructions allowed me to accomplish th

3 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Yes it is with custom symbols for the drawer boxes. Slightly different than what you had but that's because I just altered some symbols I already had. You can do the same from those included.

image.thumb.png.d09632f16e1e86f1f54caa7e6afcaf55.png

Attached plan has two.

Open Symbol and check the origin and stretch zones.

When making the symbols I check advanced options.

I moved the Z origin by a 1/4" of an inch since the default gap at the bottom is 1/4". This increases it to 1/2".

For the sides the OOB gap is 1/2" and you wanted 3/16. To get that once I reduced the bounding box width by 5/8" or (1/2"-3/16") x 2.

You will notice that the boxes don't resize in height well so you will need multiple heights but most everyone has a standard run of sizes so should not be a big deal IMO.

The symbols included will work in cabinets up to 36" wide. Any wider and you need a wider box since they won't resize beyond that.

Drawer resize defaults symbols.plan

Hi Mark

I was able to precisely locate the drawer boxes within the cabinet box by converting to a symbol as you instructed, with the variation being a 1/2" Z origin offset producing a 3/4" bottom gap for the slides.

For the side gaps, The bounding box modification and stretch zone assignment works well.

Thanks very much for your help!

P.S. your .plan did not open in X10

43 minutes ago, DaveBox said:

P.S. your .plan did not open in X10

It was made in X11-you don't have a signature indicating which versions you are using (but I don't have X10 on this machine any more anyway)

Plan is not going to matter much for this though. This is kind of like getting a cut list out of Chief-not something it's meant to do. That's what Cabinet Vision et al are for.

From what I can tell in X11 and 12 Chief spits out a size for inserted drawers based on the cabinet width. There is a way to add a macro into those fields in X11, it is also possible just to type over that field in the component tab in X11. Both of those are a bit of work.

If I had to do this I'd be looking at a macro placed in the default cabinet in a custom OIP field rather than the components (I think) then accessed from a cabinet schedule rather than the ML. X12 has custom schedules which would make that aspect easier. I ran into a potential client recently who was looking for something like this for drawer boxes but I haven't heard back so no effort has been put into solving it.

So if this is really important to you then the choice is to either learn Ruby or hire AlaskanSon or Joe Carrick to write something up or it might be just as easy to write a couple of formulas in a spreadsheet.

On 1/30/2020 at 12:10 PM, DaveBox said:

How can I get an accurate component list?

I made a quick run at this, had a little time, but no luck. Figured out what does NOT work and what likely has to happen to get you there.

No help was-

• Adding a macro to an OIP field in the drawerbox symbol prior to adding to cabinet-doesn't show in cabinet, or any schedule once inserted into a cabinet.
  • Tried adding an accessory to the components list and placing a macro for the box width-this may work but the macro I tried failed..

It IS possible to add a macro to an OIP field in the cabinet that calculates the correct width based on the cabinet width. That could easily be set up to be based on cabinet construction-framed, frameless, assorted frame widths.

It is also possible to have the depth, front to back, calculated from the cabinet box in an OIP field.

The difficult one is the box height. It is likely best calculated from the actual accessory. This IS possible BUT I don't yet know the correct way to do it. The Drawer box accessory symbols end up in a "Collection" in Ruby. I got that far and the first thing I tried failed. I just have to look into accessing information from a collection, which is doable. That will take me a little more time to look into, will let you know if I figure it ou. Figure getting this to work might get that potential client moving :)