Tape Measure in 3D view?

modaby

Hi there,

I am new to Chief.  I am crazy or is there no way to measure things in 3D views, such as the tape measure tool? I can't seem to find it if there is.  The tape measure tool is grayed out and not available from the pull down menu when in Full Perspective View window.

Thanks for the help/insight!

Welcome to the forum.  You will get lots of excellent help here from some real experts!  If you would please take the time to setup your signature line to include your software as well as computer hardware information many times this information comes into play with the answers.  Since everyone wants to help but also has limited time this helps get you more answers and assistance.  

Tape measure as far as I am aware is only a 2d tool.  Try an elevation shot.

• Like 1

Is there a particular situation where you would be using this as there are some serious accuracy issues to overcome measuring in a Perspective view.  We can create a cad detail from view in an Orthographic view and take measurements however you need to be very careful setting the camera view otherwise the measurements have no real relevancy. I suppose you could measure the diameter of a sphere in 3D and maybe a few other things.  There are a few tricks to display 2D measurements in 3D views if that is what you are ultimately after ?

With the other software I use/have used, it is a common part of the workflow to check dimensions of objects in 3D for accuracy. For example, distance of window head trim to the ceiling, etc. 

Often while showing the 3D model to clients during a design presentation they will ask, "How wide/tall is that?" or "How much room do I have for...?"  or "How far from the ceiling is....?"  

39 minutes ago, modaby said:

With the other software I use/have used, it is a common part of the workflow to check dimensions of objects in 3D for accuracy. For example, distance of window head trim to the ceiling, etc. 

Often while showing the 3D model to clients during a design presentation they will ask, "How wide/tall is that?" or "How much room do I have for...?"  or "How far from the ceiling is....?"  

You can get exact measurements in an elevation view or if you select and open the item (I.e. a window) and open it (dbl click or ctrl./cmd. E) the dbx will give you the information in regards to elevations such as from floor to lower and to top.  So if you have a window it will tell you the bottom is 32” from floor and the top is 80” from floor so you would know it is 16” from clg...  very basic example but maybe something that will help.  I know that I use the measure in obj files from matterport scans sometimes and it is never exact but rather a close proximity as 3d measuring is all based on angle of view and of item you are measuring.

It probably doesn’t help with what you are looking for but maybe something.

• Like 1