New computer transfer CA program woes

Larry_Sweeney

I had a new computer built and we are having problems moving my X11 and older versions over to the new computer. My old computer used Windows 7 and my new computer is set up with Windows 10. I don't know if that's what the snag is or not, but I'm thinking there was a thread not to long ago about moving Chief over to another computer. I've tried to find it, but I'm not having any luck. Am I remembering correctly and if so can anyone direct me to that thread? I know I can just download X11 again to the new computer from my digital locker, but I would like to keep a few of the older versions I still have in case I'm working with someone that is using an older version. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

What sort of problems?..............The CA programs won't open. I don't have the new computer up and running at this moment so I can't tell you exactly what the "message" says (something about some missing files) when I try and open them. Almost all the programs that were moved to the new computer work with the exception of a few. Of those that don't work, most are old ones that don't run on Windows 10 (Microsoft Office 2003, Outlook and an old version of Word). The two that I'm most interested in working are my last 4 versions of CA and Autocad 2010. All the other ones that won't open I'll just get newer versions.

How are you transferring?..............We are using "PC Mover" My computer builder has tried several times transferring the files with the same outcome. I was thinking the thread I read sometime ago discussed something about transferring the CA programs from one computer to another.  

Have you checked the Knowledge Base -- I believe there is an article on doing this. ............Yes, but aren't they talking about migrating files and not the program? I think it was a link that you posted. Please understand, I'm not much of a computer guru. The person that built my new computer built my last one with great success and we had no problems using "PC Mover", but I'm thinking I was using the same operating system on the old and new computer at that time.  He's on another project today and I'm just trying to find info that might help him when he comes at the end of this day. He seems to think it has to do with my old computer using Windows 7 and my new one has Windows 10.

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Curious Larry, why would you want to 'migrate' Chief's files instead of simply installing it on the new computer?

Larry........................Sorry if I'm not explaining my problem correctly. I'm trying to install my X11 and some earlier "X" versions on my new computer from the old computer. When I did this some years back when I had a new computer built I had no problems. At that time all the files associated with my "X" versions came along with the transferring from the old computer to the new one like clock work.

Eric........... "Do you have the installation file for the older versions?"  ................ I'm not very good with this stuff. Where do I look for them? What would I be looking for. Like I mentioned above to Larry, when I transferred CA programs a few years back there were no problems so I'm assuming I had installation files then and if that is the case they should be somewhere. :unsure: Some of those CA programs I moved then are the same ones I'm trying to transfer now to my new computer.

36 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Eric........... "Do you have the installation file for the older versions?"  ................ I'm not very good with this stuff. Where do I look for them? What would I be looking for. Like I mentioned above to Larry, when I transferred CA programs a few years back there were no problems so I'm assuming I had installation files then and if that is the case they should be somewhere. :unsure: Some of those CA programs I moved then are the same ones I'm trying to transfer now to my new computer.

Yeah I figure it wasn't as easy as I made it out to be. I have few older installation files in my downloads folder but almost never use older versions like many others do. Don't know if your files still live there as well? Sorry I wasn't any help...

If you go to your digital locker:

https://accounts.chiefarchitect.com/digital-locker/

you will see your current version available for download. At the top of that screen is a check box "Show upgraded product keys".

Checking that box will show download buttons for your older versions.

This will allow you to download the installers for your older versions.

• Like 1

Larry

if you have the older installation files on your computer ( I keep all of mine ) you can just re run them to save the downloading.

There seems to be a few differences in running programs on win10 compared to win7 as some settings are not turned on by defalt like they used to be.

11 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

We are using "PC Mover" My computer builder has tried several times transferring the files with the same outcome. I was thinking the thread I read sometime ago discussed something about transferring the CA programs from one computer to another.  

Just re-install on the new computer , don't move them ( ie Chief Ver.Xs , Word 2003  etc etc) and then transfer the Chief Data Folders manually from the old computer , the Folders are all in the My Document Folder in a folder for each version , copy those Folders to a USB Drive and place them in the same locations on the Windows 10 computer... , typical I just rename the newly created Chief Data Folder ( made by installer) as Chief Data_Clean and drop the old Folder into my Documents to replace it , and next time Chief Ver.X opens it finds the old folder and continues on like normal.

image.thumb.png.eec33e17f9ac8207b016ae7e948354c1.png

Dan.........................Thanks for the info. I honestly didn't know my old keys were available.

Graeme....................I'm not much of a "computer person". I have a younger generation to do most of that work for me when needed --------------(grandchildren). Where would I look for the installation files and what would they be called?

Mick.........................I guess what you say is what I'll be doing. In doing the "transfer" the way you describe I guess I'll have to go to the Knowledge Base and follow their instructions to migrate my libraries, templates, etc., etc.----------correct?

Thanks to all for taking time to help the "old guy". Have a great day

39 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Thanks for the info. I honestly didn't know my old keys were available.

Not sure if you read that completely or not.  It's not just the product keys.  It's the installers too...

20 hours ago, Dan_Park said:

Checking that box will show download buttons for your older versions.

This will allow you to download the installers for your older versions.

2 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Mick.........................I guess what you say is what I'll be doing. In doing the "transfer" the way you describe I guess I'll have to go to the Knowledge Base and follow their instructions to migrate my libraries, templates, etc., etc.----------correct?

Nope not needed if you just copy the Data Folder from OLD computer to the New Computer . Make sure you close Chief after Installing and updating the Core Libraries , then rename the Data folder per above and then copy the Data Folder from your USB Drive ( or over network) into My Documents on the New Computer.

The Data folder , includes your User Library , templates etc , I also Keep my Plans (Client Projects) Folder in there, so it is backed up nightly with the rest of My Documents.

You will need to reinstall the Core Libraries as noted above but Chief does that for you after Installing and activation , from the Library Menu.

M.