More Issues with Horizontal Lines in Elevations

wjmdes

This seems to be a continued issue for me.  Solved the issue one time because brick was not lining up vertically because Chief Wrap is in fact not 0" and I was not taking that into account with the CMU wall with brick below.  On the same project, I had the drywall sticking out to the face of the brick veneer and support had to give me a workaround.

On this, I am messing around with an apartment exterior renovation and have just been using my painter to change materials.  On the original as-built, I just used a wall with siding and then "painted" stucco.  Shortly after, I noticed the issue and spent several hours last night trying to figure it out.  I was hoping today when I copied the file and just changed it "ALL" to new material it would go away.

It did not:

1569671180_Material1.thumb.jpg.08a685a23d5361e137f2b053b2b0e813.jpg

The elevation also shows the pilaster with different line weights on each side which does not make sense and may be part of the issue:

1332759411_Material2.thumb.jpg.0c57f2c425419a466205af977cd96427.jpg

Cutting a section, some floors have this break in material at the rough ceiling, other areas don't:

1804434567_Material3.thumb.jpg.fde5d20fa60ce6adbb08a3feccb3eedb.jpg

It's probably a "duh" moment, but after several hours I am at a loss and these elevations look bad....

19-1104 Brookstone.zip

This should be also reported to Chief Architect Tech Support as a "Bug" for proper address for all.

Elevations sent to layout can be completed edited to anyone's satisfaction using the "Edit Layout Line" tool before printing, with that tool you can add or subtract 3D surface generated lines. (That tool would NOT help in terms of plan views but I consider that to be a much more minor problem than "Wall Poly-line Edge lines" showing in Elevation Views since there is a solution to correct that).

DJP

6 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Elevations sent to layout can be completed edited to anyone's satisfaction using the "Edit Layout Line" tool before printing,

I do not believe this can be done in "Live View".

8 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

DJP

This is the answer I received:

1. Your horizontal lines are due to the wall sticking out from the main building. As soon as I deleted those walls those horizontal lines went away. We couldn't get turning off room definition or anything to make it work. I might suggest turning these walls that stick out from the building into polyline solids instead.

2. Those lines are being backwards and mixed up due to the paint on those sticking out sections. You can either change those walls to the default material (or change that wall type to use the correct material and set them to use the default material). This issue would also go away with polyline solids.

So it may or may not be a bug.  In hindsight wish I had done the pilasters out of polyline solids anyway as it was much easier and I am just doing this for a "pretty picture".  It was a real pain to draw them on each floor.  

Bill, I think the problem is the stub walls for the arched build-outs. They are creating a room that is undefined, plus they are occupying the same space as a solid.

I placed a cross box to mark the location of the build out (just to maintain the dimension reference), then deleted all the build-out walls. Problem seems to be solved.

Unless you need all the construction layers of the material regions to generate a materials list, I'd suggest getting rid of the unnecessary layers both for material regions and walls. It'll greatly speed up the 3d views.

image.thumb.png.098a73538d7aaac55905768bb50bebe1.pngimage.thumb.png.50dab7354b8a84857031a8f93e339992.pngimage.thumb.png.97fde27ca23efaa7d2a1b5c7abb66852.pngimage.thumb.png.d09057432cb5c874bd36b77d79dcabee.png

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Problem seems to be solved.

Thanks for the response.  First of all, this is the existing building, I am not responsible for its look!

Kind of slapped myself in the head and wondered why I even spent the time to just not build the pilasters with solids.  I am working on the proposed now and the polyline solids have simplified a lot.

Just curious about the curved solid I drew at the top of the arch to fill-in material, you say to put it on the attic level.  Is there a specific reason?  I drew it in elevation view and that is just where chief put it.  I use a layer called "No See" (original right) that I put all my parts and pieces for 3D and elevations that I do not want to see on the plan and just turn that layer off.

48 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

Is there a specific reason?

'cause that's where it is. Logical, that's all. Also, it's easier to distinguish from another object that is in the same location in plan view.

BTW, Solids built in elevation view will generate in plan view based on the floor you're on in elevation view, which of course is usually floor 1. 2 ways to control that: toggle the floor in elevation view before drawing a solid ( I usually forget to do that) OR copy the solid and paste-in-place onto the correct floor in plan view, then delete the original.

As for the layer, I always expect that the 'working view' is not the layout view or final view. So, when I use a solid for the exact same thing as a material region, or any other object for that matter, I keep them on the same layer and that layer would not show up in a final plan view. I do that just to reduce the chance for my own error in display.

For an exterior alteration, I usually simplify my wall layers just to speed up the 3d views. That means no building paper, no drywall, no interior casing on windows, no floor coverings etc. Anything I can get rid of that won't negatively affect either my 3d view, or the type of final drawing I'll present is eliminated. 

• Upvote 1