Placing window at level of floor

rockyshepheard

Hi CA friends,

I cannot place a window anywhere where the window would be at the level of the floor. 
I presumed that if I cut hole in floor in front of where window goes, the window would be allowed to be placed.

I can get the window where I need it BUT part of the OSB-hrz layer shows in front of window at floor level.
Is there a way to place a window at floor level without these artifacts?

Thanks,

Rocky

Untitled-1.jpg

30 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Is there a way to place a window at floor level without these artifacts?

Appears like you want the window not AT floor level, but between floor levels... correct?  
If you use invisible walls/room divider walls to make a room behind the window the size of the floor hole you want and assign it the 'open below' room type you should be able to put the window there.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DzinEye said:
38 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Hey Rock, Long-TNS

You mind posting a plan, I'm not quite understanding the construction assembly that would allow a window to be placed between floors.

Hey. Yes, it's been a while. Hope things are good with you. From your profile pic, I would guess they are. :)
BTW, I bought Lumion. Great program. I think you use it as well, yes?

I have attached file. Thanks!

Gilkey.plan

@rockyshepheard

Hey Rockney, I took a quick look at your plan. The problem you mentioned will almost certainly go away once you have your rooms defined. That 'artifact' is due to the 'hole' that was in the floor, as opposed to a defined room (Open Below). Just draw railing around what I assume is the stairwell, define the room, and delete the 'hole polyline'.

image.thumb.png.8962f8c8a6077ff60d866d0d8fbe11ba.pngimage.thumb.png.4f75dd5f663289d6e8e843a507d100b9.png

On 1/24/2020 at 7:09 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Got married, thank you. As Rob said, define the room as "open below" and it should fix it for you :)

Hi Rene,
I need one of those hexagonal decorative roofs (stairwell) and this roof fascia is situated between first floor and second floor. In order to get truss bearings at this height I pull up first floor walls to a desired height between these two floors. When I create roof planes, they end up at the height BEFORE I pulled wall up. I then have to move these roof plane up in the Z axis to the height I need. Can you tell me if this is the only way to do this?
Thanks,

Rocky

Gilkey almost roof.plan

11 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

I pull up first floor walls to a desired height between these two floors.

This is always problem number 1. Most of the guys around here will tell you, we almost never manually drag wall heights, it just invites problems. If you want structure height to change, you should do it in the room specification dbx.

Simply draw room dividers to create a room, and if that room is to have different structure than the rest of the rooms, manually override the rooms structure from the room specification. 

Ideally, if the property does not have split level floors, you should just  edit your floor in the floors and rooms default settings under edit/default settings/floors and rooms/floor levels/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

This is always problem number 1. Most of the guys around here will tell you, we almost never manually drag wall heights, it just invites problems. If you want structure height to change, you should do it in the room specification dbx.

Simply draw room dividers to create a room, and if that room is to have different structure than the rest of the rooms, manually override the rooms structure from the room specification. 

Ideally, if the property does not have split level floors, you should just  edit your floor in the floors and rooms default settings under edit/default settings/floors and rooms/floor levels/

Thanks. It seems the only difference between the two techniques is if you drag, you simply do no know the number that represents the change in height. If you don't drag, you know. I'm curious why they don't cause the same subset of problems given that both have changed the height.
R

48 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Thanks. It seems the only difference between the two techniques is if you drag, you simply do no know the number that represents the change in height. If you don't drag, you know. I'm curious why they don't cause the same subset of problems given that both have changed the height.
R

Chief works by creating ROOMS and much of the build data is derived from Room Specifications, including roofs. Dragging walls does not change the information used to build the roof.

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2020 at 5:01 PM, DzinEye said:

Appears like you want the window not AT floor level, but between floor levels... correct?  
If you use invisible walls/room divider walls to make a room behind the window the size of the floor hole you want and assign it the 'open below' room type you should be able to put the window there.

Thanks. I did that but there is still ceiling artifacts in staircase windows. I think the problem is CA is not cutting away all the way to the windows. It is not possible to run the room divider wall all the way around the inside of the staircase. If it were, that should get rid of the artifacts. Can you see any fix to this issue, even if it is not ideal?
Thanks

open below.jpg

cupola on fixed garage caps.plan