Stair Design Program by JPC

Joe_Carrick

Attached is the documentation for the Stairway Design Program that I programmed at CalComp in 1984.  It has a few differences in how it worked and what data needed to be assigned simply because we didn't have a 3D Model to get data from and the model didn't know what units were to be used.  However, it was in several ways more comprehensive than Chief's current Stairway tool.

• It included options based on Code requirements (actually user modifiable)
  • It included Spiral Stairs
  • It included true "Wide-U" Stairs with 2 Landings separated by an intermediated Flight vs an intermediate Landing - which is what Chief has provided in X12.
  • It included Handrail Code requirements (which could be modified by the user) whereas Chief has not implemented any code requirements.

One thing that Chief did provide in X12 that my program didn't have is the ability to have "Winders" on the Landings.

Stair_Design_by_JPC_in_1984.pdf

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Basically, the X12 "Split Landing Stair" is not something I've ever seen.  The "Wide-U Stair" with an intermediate Flight would have been a much better addition since it would provide the ability to fit a stairway into different sized areas.  That's what designers need to do.

• Upvote 1