Attic wall always rebuild even when auto is off

9atatimer

I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 4.36.45 AM.png

Ah-ha!  I think I found an approach that will work for me -- by making the segments distinct wall types CA no longer tries to fuse them back into a single segment.

I split the attic wall into three segments along the X axis, moved the two end segments out of alignment with the central segment a bit on the Y axis, and then changed the wall types of the end pieces to a new wall type I copied from the default exterior (I creatively called it exterior-6-gable, or something like that), and then aligned them all again with the align tool into their original position.

The three segments remain distinct, and have the appropriate exterior materials -- woot!

Chief will always try to help with human error or what it perceives is HE so it tries to rejoin them.

you found one way.  To keep it from temporarily happening split the wall and flip the direction of the middle wall while you change it to a new wall style or the others in your case for the stone/brick.  Then flip the wall back and you should be good.

A few quick notes..

1.  You can use a material region instead of separate walls (I would probably use a material region for the center section if I went that route).

2.  If you're trying to "paint" the material onto the wall, then the way to do is by using the Material Painter in Object mode.  Anything else will cause the walls to rejoin and this happens with any walls, not just attic walls.

3.  Most importantly, using the Material Painter really isn't the proper way to do that.  It should have really been done with unique Wall Types from the start.  If you place your breaks, group select the 2 outside walls (or one middle wall) and then simply change the Wall Type, then the walls shouldn't have rejoined.  Should have been no reason to move anything out of alignment.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

A few quick notes..

1.  You can use a material region instead of separate walls (I would probably use a material region for the center section if I went that route).

2.  If you're trying to "paint" the material onto the wall, then the way to do is by using the Material Painter in Object mode.  Anything else will cause the walls to rejoin and this happens with any walls, not just attic walls.

3.  Most importantly, using the Material Painter really isn't the proper way to do that.  It should have really been done with unique Wall Types from the start.  If you place your breaks, group select the 2 outside walls (or one middle wall) and then simply change the Wall Type, then the walls shouldn't have rejoined.  Should have been no reason to move anything out of alignment.

Nice explanation Michael.

this is describing better what I said up above.  Sometimes with attic walls they will rejoin pretty quickly which is why I mentioned switching the layer side temporarily (and you don’t have to offset as you described as that will show bad in vector mode).

material regions are definitely the way to do it if you are just trying to model it.  As a lot of my jobs I also do BOQs for them I try to make my model as accurate as possible so I would change the wall type as Michael nicely described in detail.  That way all walls will be accounted for accurately especially if you include a wall legend for your plans.

1 hour ago, solver said:

Please post questions in General Q&A. Tips & Techniques is where you share your tips and techniques.

And ...

Welcome

It's helpful to know what software you are using as it changes from version to version.

It helps others to have this info in your signature so it's always available. Please see this topic for a signature how to.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk

Good point Erick.  I commented on my phone so didn’t notice.

Erick is right and you will learn it will not only help people be more mindful of your posts but if they are in the right spot on the forum you will get more help!