Layout Cleanup

Joe_Carrick

I've been working on cleaning up my Layout - getting rid of unused Layers, etc.

Unfortunately, I've run into a couple of problems that I don't seem to be able to solve:

1. I have a Text Layer "Text, Structural" that is indicated as "Used" but I can't find it in any page - even when all layers are displayed.
  2. I have another Text Layer that is indicated as specified in a "Default" but I've checked all my Default Sets and can't find it an any Default.

Is there any way to search the Layout file to find where these things are located?

Note:  My procedure (tedious at best) was to turn on all layers (unlocked) and marquee select the everything on every page.  Most things I was able to find and edit or delete as necessary.  These two have eluded all my efforts.

27 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I have a Text Layer "Text, Structural" that is indicated as "Used" but I can't find it in any page - even when all layers are displayed.

Check your CAD Blocks and CAD Details to start with.

27 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I have another Text Layer that is indicated as specified in a "Default" but I've checked all my Default Sets and can't find it an any Default. 

Check your Saved Defaults, not just your Default Sets.  You may well have a Saved Default that isn't even being used.  You'll have to delete or change the Default before you can delete the layer.

AFAIK, you can not assign a Layer to a Text Style.  You can assign a layer to a Default for:

• Dimensions
  • Rich Text
  • Text
  • Callouts
  • Markers

I'm pretty sure you can also assign a layer to a Note type - but I don't at this time recall exactly where that's done.  I suspect that my problem is in the Note types because I can't find it anyplace else.  I've also checked all CAD Detail Windows without success.

But "Notes" are not possible in Layouts so that can't be the problem either.

12 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Not in a Layout File - only in Plan Files is that available.

IAE, I do not have any Notes even in the Plan Files that use those Layers.

Oh, right, I forgot you were talking about layout.  My bad.  Like I said though,  don't forget to check you CAD Blocks too. If you have an object placed on that layer in any one of your CAD Blocks, then it will also say "Used in defaults"

I discovered that there were quite a few CAD Blocks in the Layout that were indicated as used.  However, they were not in fact used anyplace that I could find.  Because they were indicated as used, I couldn't delete them and even when I placed them I couldn't find the offending layer.

So I used the X12 "Save as Template" tool:

• Unchecked the "Non Template Pages" box
  • Unchecked "Client Info" & "Revision Entries"

The result was a "Clean Layout" for the current project with all proper data maintained.  It got rid of the offending CAD Blocks and the offending Layer.  I Still can't find the problem in the original Layout file but at least I now have a clean version.

It would really be nice if the "Save as Template" tool allowed saving of just specific page content.  Then it would be pretty easy to create a template with "Boiler Plate" for various jurisdictions and/or repeat clients.