Any Matterport users?

VisualDandD

1 hour ago, VisualDandD said:

House designed in chief too!  Built it 2 years ago

Very Nice Justin!  Great design, and thanks for sharing your preliminary Matterport results.  That may put the fun back into doing as-builts.;)

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

how many sample locations did you use?

I believe each location is marked by a ring on the floor as you go to each of those exact locations and look straight down the tripod is blurred out.

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That's pretty stinkin' cool.  If nothing else, it seems like the ability to record and review basic site conditions alone might be worth it.  How long did that "scan" take, and how many sample locations did you use?

That was aprox 20 scans.    It was very haphazard.   I took the time later to read tips and tricks and I would do it better if It were for a job.

I think it took me about 15min.   This thing is pretty awesome.   If I had a detailed model, you can pay for a full 3D file in OBJ format.   You can get whatever dims you want off that.   I checked a few sample dims (using the little tape measure tool on the viewer) and it is dead nuts!  Certainly within the margin of error of measuring post drywall.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Very Nice Justin!  Great design, and thanks for sharing your preliminary Matterport results.  That may put the fun back into doing as-builts.;)

I believe each location is marked by a ring on the floor as you go to each of those exact locations and look straight down the tripod is blurred out.

Thanks! 

The design is a compromise between what my wife and I like.   I like modern and she like more traditional.  Here is a rendering I did early 2016 when the house was just a dream.  This I where I believe in the power of what Chief can do.   (but I did render movies in lumion ;) )

Here is then Sept 2016 where I was tightening up my cab layouts.

House is a courtyard home with pool in center.   It is a super energy efficient home.   I used a staggered stud 2x8 wall system I got an engineer to bless, and have full foam encapsulation. (Including attic).     I hired an energy consultant to help me size my equipment.   It is 8600 HSF and the cooling load for 95deg design temp down in North Carolina had us at 3.6 TOTAL tons cooling (on max day).    I put in a crazy system...(might bore your guys but has variable speed indoor AND outdoor unit.   The outdoor unit can bring itself down to about 1.4 ton by running slower, therefore optimizing run efficiency.   It was a fun project for sure.  Designing for one's self can be the most fun, but like every client, I wish I had more in the budget!!!!

r9MyXW4.jpg

vQsBMSo.jpg?1

jkLDuza.jpg

I HATE 'as builts'!  I dont like doing remodels for that reason alone.    For what I would have to charge to take the time to do it, I cant really justify.    But this really changes all that.   I actually agreed to do a remodel recently for a long time client.  I cant wait to try this out!

• Like 1

That was aprox 20 scans.

I think it took me about 15min.

Wow...That's hard to believe.  If its true, I salute you...you must have been sprinting too and fro, and must be crazy fast at setting up that tripod (assume there is one). 

Okay, I guess it doesn’t sound too crazy.  Pretty fast though considering the camera itself must take a little time at each location too.  I’d be curious as to how much time it takes you from the moment you open the thing up to the moment it’s put away.  Let me know if you ever actually time it.  

I'll bought a nice tripod with a center handle.   It takes 15-20 sec to scan and another 10 or so for it to process data and update your scan on ipad.   After the initial scan, you can move the camera before it has processed the image.  As soon as the new image pops up, hit scan again.  Rinse and repeat.

My scan was kind of haphazard and for for doing more accurate work, I would have thrown in more points.  But I was just excited to run something thought it!

My mom is visiting, and she sat at the island the whole time.  My dog appears 3 or 4 times because she was following me around ;)

It really is pretty easy.   For "as builts", if you are not worried about being in the pics, you can speed up the process a BUNCH since you dont have to go around a corner.   I ducked out for most of them, but didnt bother for others.

There are cheaper 360 cams (400-800) that are compatible w/ matterport hosting, but they are not accurate enough. They are also aprox 24mp vs 134mp (matterport pro)  They totally rely on the visual stitching.   The matterport has 6 lenses and 3 what I think are laser rangefinders.   The "Pro" camera gets all the 3d measurement data whereas the cheaper cams dont give that info.   The would probably work for simple realestate listing though.

I am going to play with it a bit more and see what else I can learn.   Will share for sure!

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

1.thumb.JPG.e49fb2cc4dfbd771380b165d20794821.JPG5.thumb.JPG.0bf98e33f69fda256851a587e9eeb38f.JPG3.thumb.JPG.fcca96e48c9fe9406960b5637891ad90.JPG

We model regularly from matterport for our various client at a very reasonable price and turn these back in 2-3 days.
the import process is simple but tracing is a hard work and in absence of a nice workflow it takes too much time (Frustrating sometimes)

DM me or email us at info@amayacad.com (We are a team of 20+)

Regards,

Mayank

• Downvote 1

I bought the expensive model.  I use it mostly for as-builts and in-progress new home building scanning.  I found it useful to scan a home I was called into to ID code violations.  Unpermitted work was done and a stop work order issued.  I like how I can view the place any time I need to, and also share the link with contractors so they have an idea what they are walking into.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=zyDT83Qz1rs&brand=0

So I stopped naming projects by female first names, you'll notice why... ;)

I hope to include this level of information on all my on-site projects.

It's best to navigate the "model" by using the tools in the lower left of the screen.  I actually fell down the stairs when carrying the camera and tripod.......the stairs.....uggggh the stairs.

• 1 month later...

Quick question regarding importing an OBJ file from matterpak.

When I import it comes in about 24"x12"x6".

I assume that I am doing something wrong during the import process- but maybe the model is not sized correctly?

image.thumb.png.4dffd42ba6fad43062938e9725cea4e4.png

28 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

It looks like it is likely coming in as inches rather than meters.

@para-CAD For the project you shot above, how much time on site? How much time assembling the images? I realize this one might be more extensive due to the the extra info due to the red tag issues. I am trying to get a sense for an as built for a home about that size. Assuming that was about 2500 s.f.? It looks like you did a minimum of 4 cameras set ups per room.

When you do close ups like the electrical panel door opening, do you leave the camera set in one position or do you move in closer and then open the door?

6 hours ago, RL-inc said:

During Import, click on Show Advanced Options and then go to 3D>3D Geometry>Drawing Unit and change the Unit.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, Gawdzira said:

@para-CAD For the project you shot above, how much time on site? How much time assembling the images? I realize this one might be more extensive due to the the extra info due to the red tag issues. I am trying to get a sense for an as built for a home about that size. Assuming that was about 2500 s.f.? It looks like you did a minimum of 4 cameras set ups per room.

When you do close ups like the electrical panel door opening, do you leave the camera set in one position or do you move in closer and then open the door?

- 1 ½ hour.  The H/O wanted to follow me and talk so it slowed things down quite a bit.

- Matterport suggests about 6 feet in between shots, all doors open, a shot outside and inside each door.....each shot takes only about 14 seconds to rotate the camera.  It can be quick.  The one room had an ousting door that if open blocked another door, so I did closed and open and it is the room you can get digitally "stuck" in.

- I was hired by the first contractor to ID the code violations and create a plan to correct them.

- the post production work was another 2 hours to annotate all of the matter tags.  

- The close-up stills were from a camera phone.  As I was working the site, I was thinking what additional info would be valuable to the client or home owner, say you're out to get a breaker, but you forgot to check your panel...etc.  I just saved the close-up shots to dropbox and then linked to them in Matterport.  

The only downside to Matterport is that I have to pay $800/year to have them process and store my projects.  There is no file that I can have to keep.  It only works under subscription.

I tried scanning a crawlspace of a house built in 1900, but the scans would not stitch together because the ground sloped too much.  

29 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

I tried scanning a crawlspace of a house built in 1900, but the scans would not stitch together because the ground sloped too much.

That is a very interesting situation. Do you figure it is because of the sloping floor or the tripod not being plumb.  The elevation change should not be an issue because I have seen scan locations on stairway landings or even mid flight and it works.  It would be interesting to know if it was just a setup glitch or a software stitching problem ?

I have my matterport still.  Only used on a few projects.  Remodels are just not worth my time.

If anyone is interested, I will make someone a great deal.   I have the 'pro' w/ a bunch of accessories, tripod, bag.etc.

If you do remodels, this is worth its weight in gold.   

Just got my first matterport scan......saved me alot of time. I know a guy who does it and the fee was very cheap and only 2 hours for a complete as built of a 2800 sq foot home scanned every 3 feet. I will only use him for huge renovations involving all the interior walls. I received pdf's and CAD files of the floor plan (dimensioned), elevations and an isometric view to scale. No brainer to me and I include the fee in my charge to the client. There is nothing easier than importing the CAD file into chief and tracing the walls. We double checked the dimensions to the as built and it is damn near perfect.

• Upvote 1

I am posting images of camera here because I could not get them PM and a couple guys reach out to me about the camera.

MC250Pro2.   I literally used it 4 times.

Found a soft side bag that fit it perfectly (rather than the big hard shell cases) Read, very easy to carry

Good tripod.   

https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/290-xtra-three-section-aluminum-tripod-mt290xta3us/

PXL_20220516_142842024.jpg

PXL_20220516_142852391.jpg

PXL_20220516_142909613.jpg

PXL_20220516_142922248.jpg

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Personally not for me but you might want to put this on the Selling Forum and / or Chat Room

instead of buried in a Thread.

M.

Sold.

Yea, been sitting in my office for a while being unused.  The post reminded me to do something with it. (my wife will be happy as I seem to accumulate and never sell anything).  Been having that issue with cars lately also.  Anybody want to buy a car? :D 

I am glad as it gone as it will totally take away any temptation to do ANY remodels. ;) 

FWIW, if any one does them, these are worth their weight in GOLD.  I would not hesitate to recommend the product to anyone.  Easy and it works.  All the time.   Never do you find that place where you think....boy I wish I had this picture, or I wish I measured this...etc.

No skin in the game now, but for as builts this is really the only tool I would consider if I did it on a regular basis.   Just the time savings alone makes it well worth it.